The DUP

Blootoon87

I always forget my trips to the Maldives aswell

He’s not saying that he forgot about the luxury holiday, he’s saying he didn’t need to register it, which he clearly did if it was an invite from from the host government. The problem here is that like many other politicians, once elected, they feel (in general) that they’re above the rules and regs that apply to everyone else.
He’s had his nose in the trough again and should just be honest about it. Fat chance.

12 hours ago, doulikefish said:
14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46544784
Ian Paisley junior seems to have forgotten to declare another all expenses paid holiday.

I always forget my trips to the Maldives aswell

We only got back on Monday!

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

He’s not saying that he forgot about the luxury holiday, he’s saying he didn’t need to register it, which he clearly did if it was an invite from from the host government. The problem here is that like many other politicians, once elected, they feel (in general) that they’re above the rules and regs that apply to everyone else.
He’s had his nose in the trough again and should just be honest about it. Fat chance.

And after lobbying on behalf of the Maldives Government in Parliament over something. Can't see him surviving this one unless May uses it to pressure him over the Withdrawal Bill.

Edited by welshbairn

Glad you posted that, he and the DUP members whose families made a fortune out of the fuel scam have been working against the interests and will of the people of Northern Ireland. It's time they were called out for it. Northern Ireland is not getting a voice over Brexit because of having problems with translating parking fines. I'm not saying that Sinn Fein aren't equally obstructionist, but if I was an Ulster voter I'd be fucking raging.

That's just because everyone from Ulster's always fucking raging tho.

• 6 months later...

Ian Paisley Jnr's been a very naughty boy. After claiming that a family holiday in the Maldives had been paid for by an old friend unconnected with the Government on whose behalf he'd been lobbying, and which he'd failed to declare, it turns out it was paid for by a Maldives government minister. Not only that, but he had 2 more undeclared family holidays paid for in 2014 and 2016 one of which was for 2 rooms, one for him and his wife, and one for his 2 sons, at approx $1500 each per night. That's on top of the Sri Lankan holidays he got "done" for. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006bp3/spotlight-paisley-in-paradise-revisited

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Ian Paisley Jnr's been a very naughty boy. After claiming that a family holiday in the Maldives had been paid for by an old friend unconnected with the Government on whose behalf he'd been lobbying, and which he'd failed to declare, it turns out it was paid for by a Maldives government minister. Not only that, but he had 2 more undeclared family holidays paid for in 2014 and 2016 one of which was for 2 rooms, one for him and his wife, and one for his 2 sons, at approx $1500 each per night. That's on top of the Sri Lankan holidays he got "done" for. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006bp3/spotlight-paisley-in-paradise-revisited

He'll probably get away with this one, too.

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

What he's got to gain by not declaring it too is anyone's guess.  What odds would it make to anybody?

4 minutes ago, tirso said:

What he's got to gain by not declaring it too is anyone's guess.  What odds would it make to anybody?

I think the fact that he's been lobbying on behalf of the Maldive/Sri Lankan government when it was a government/government official/ex government official paying for the holiday is a bit off.

Absolute stupidity/arrogance not to declare it, even in retrospect, after the Sri Lankan debacle.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think the fact that he's been lobbying on behalf of the Maldive/Sri Lankan government when it was a government/government official/ex government official paying for the holiday is a bit off.

Absolute stupidity/arrogance not to declare it, even in retrospect, after the Sri Lankan debacle.

yeah, that's what I mean.  It's sheer stupidity.  Everyone already knows he's happy to lobby and take free holidays.  He wouldn't lose face by declaring.

The reg is there for good reason too.

3 minutes ago, tirso said:

yeah, that's what I mean.  It's sheer stupidity.  Everyone already knows he's happy to lobby and take free holidays.  He wouldn't lose face by declaring.

The reg is there for good reason too.

He clearly accepted he was a wrong un last time around, daft not to own up to the other bungs unless there are even more that he hasn't fessed up to. I suppose if you're lobbying on behalf of a corrupt foreign Government it would diminish the effect if you let out that they've been bunging you tens of thousands of pounds worth of free holidays, even if it's legal, which I'm not sure about. 

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1019909166171938816

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

He was asking a load of questions about Tunisia recently so I expect he will have had a wee jolly there and all.

Shed loads of questions helpful to Israel too.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-questions-answers/?house=commons&max=20&member=4129&page=1&questiontype=AllQuestions

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm sure he did those ones for free to be fair

Are you implying the Israelis would be too mean to pay for lobbying? Is there a whiff of anti-Semitism in the breeze...