Benburb Ground suitability

codofthenorth

After attending the Bens game on Monday, am I the only one who would question their ground being capable of hosting a Cup final on Saturday? Access around the ground is limited by spare goalposts blocking movement.....the grass banking that Ive previously used to get round these hazards is now overgrown.....the far side banking has been carpeted with astroturf to mask the muddy bank....the Stand is uncovered with no real shelter (wheelchair users will be unable to access the other half of the pitch past the Stand) and no hard standing raised terracing....are the catering facilities on site up to the challenge of a big crowd or are they going mobile catering? Nothing against the Bens and maybe they will get away with it if Perthshire dont travel in numbers to take on Glenafton.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After attending the Bens game on Monday, am I the only one who would question their ground being capable of hosting a Cup final on Saturday? Access around the ground is limited by spare goalposts blocking movement.....the grass banking that Ive previously used to get round these hazards is now overgrown.....the far side banking has been carpeted with astroturf to mask the muddy bank....the Stand is uncovered with no real shelter (wheelchair users will be unable to access the other half of the pitch past the Stand) and no hard standing raised terracing....are the catering facilities on site up to the challenge of a big crowd or are they going mobile catering? Nothing against the Bens and maybe they will get away with it if Perthshire dont travel in numbers to take on Glenafton.

We have allready been on to sjfa and evening times about this all week as we don't think it's a fair venue for spectators to see the game especially with a cup final being different as both teams players management teams and committees will have kids and family there and some kids will be in prams we also have a few fans that are disabled that follow us and will be sad for them to not enjoy the game if they can't see as theres likely to be a big crowd and it's all very flat round the ground reckon we will take about 3 hundred and like we did when in the west cup final a few year back and glenafton going for a treble will have a big crowd surely common sense would have been to take it to a better suitable venue that can cater for a big crowd no offence to benburb

Thought it strange myself . Can understand that not all grass parks will be available due to pitch maintenance but surely if it's a 3G pitch in Glasgow then Peasy Park would be a better choice . Not that it's great but at least there's cover

Apparantly can't be at petershill as it's to close to the shire Irvine meadow offered to host it but were told by the evening times insist the final is played in Glasgow which is strange with Ayrshire teams competing in the tournament

Our collar and tie brigade who run the Juniors are slowly killing our game and its time everyone of them had we look at themselves instead of fleecing the fans who put so much into our game while they jump from freebie to freebie lining their deep pockets

Thought it strange myself . Can understand that not all grass parks will be available due to pitch maintenance but surely if it's a 3G pitch in Glasgow then Peasy Park would be a better choice . Not that it's great but at least there's cover

We've a brand new pitch now which you haven't yet played on and we have cover so don't know why our pitch hasn't been picked. There might be other bookings though??

We've a brand new pitch now which you haven't yet played on and we have cover so don't know why our pitch hasn't been picked. There might be other bookings though??

Too close to the shire we were told that's why it can't be played at peasy [emoji106]

The quicker they kill off this competition the better. It's the cause of league games being battered through to accommodate this kick about where teams are forced to play depleted squads due to holidays. This recent debacle sums this competition up.  

Know about the new surface bud . Just that new Peasy park is a shadow of the old one .

Our collar and tie brigade who run the Juniors are slowly killing our game and its time everyone of them had we look at themselves instead of fleecing the fans who put so much into our game while they jump from freebie to freebie lining their deep pockets

Slowly killing indeed. But only because they've been allowed to. Would be a fast death if anyone could be bothered. It's taken ages cos it's been allowed to take ages.

We have allready been on to sjfa and evening times about this all week as we don't think it's a fair venue for spectators to see the game especially with a cup final being different as both teams players management teams and committees will have kids and family there and some kids will be in prams we also have a few fans that are disabled that follow us and will be sad for them to not enjoy the game if they can't see as theres likely to be a big crowd and it's all very flat round the ground reckon we will take about 3 hundred and like we did when in the west cup final a few year back and glenafton going for a treble will have a big crowd surely common sense would have been to take it to a better suitable venue that can cater for a big crowd no offence to benburb

We played a Scottish cup tie here 3rd or 4th round i can't remember and the crowd was around 250.
The pitch itself many thought played well.
The stand offers a good view but as said no cover.
Behind both goals on space, one guy actually slipped on lots of rolled up astro as you had to walk over it to get round to stand side that saying he was half cut.
The dugout side is awkward when decent crowd as very little space and to get by i had to walk up steep little hill to get higher up so i could negotiate my way around to the social club area. Social club once all the beaks get in won't be much space for anyone else and the food counter look adequate but small .

The quicker they kill off this competition the better. It's the cause of league games being battered through to accommodate this kick about where teams are forced to play depleted squads due to holidays. This recent debacle sums this competition up.  

Would still retain it,but in a different format.Id like to see the three regional super league winners and Scottish winners,Talbot in as runners up in this case.Two one off semis at a neutral venue played pre season

37 minutes ago, PRICEY said:

Would still retain it,but in a different format.Id like to see the three regional super league winners and Scottish winners,Talbot in as runners up in this case.Two one off semis at a neutral venue played pre season

Sorry, I'm going well off topic here, but...

I don't know if there's an appetite for it, and whether the travel would be acceptable, but I've often thought a Champions League-style competition would be interesting in the Juniors. Top x number of teams qualify from each region, plus the Scottish Cup winner if they don't qualify through their league position, and have a group stage. So you could have 3 West, 3 East, 2 North, in two groups of 4 (or some variation on that). Regional allocations would be based on performance in the Scottish Cup. Teams qualifying for this would skip one of their local cups, like the League Cup. It would mean there was more to play for further down each Superleague instead of only top slot mattering, more matches between the top teams creating more interest, and hopefully more revenue. 

My concerns about it would be travel and potentially drawing attention from the Scottish Cup. 

Back on topic - I don't think Benburb's ground can really cope with a crowd of more than about 600.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Sorry, I'm going well off topic here, but...

I don't know if there's an appetite for it, and whether the travel would be acceptable, but I've often thought a Champions League-style competition would be interesting in the Juniors. Top x number of teams qualify from each region, plus the Scottish Cup winner if they don't qualify through their league position, and have a group stage. So you could have 3 West, 3 East, 2 North, in two groups of 4 (or some variation on that). Regional allocations would be based on performance in the Scottish Cup. Teams qualifying for this would skip one of their local cups, like the League Cup. It would mean there was more to play for further down each Superleague instead of only top slot mattering, more matches between the top teams creating more interest, and hopefully more revenue. 

My concerns about it would be travel and potentially drawing attention from the Scottish Cup. 

Back on topic - I don't think Benburb's ground can really cope with a crowd of more than about 600.

Remember the Super Cup?? Killed off after 2 seasons. That was just champions though. And it was far from...!

was that like senior equivalent of highest scoring seams?

If I remember Dryburghs sponsored all the regional cups.Then as it says on the the tin all the winners played in an end of season tournament.Did Pllok not win it with a p.k. shootout with a mad score,18/17 or something?.

2 minutes ago, clash city rocker said:

So the West of Scotland has to be played at Pollok now Evening Times has to be played in Central region. Ayrshire clubs should just not enter them lol.

I know this is tongue in cheek but I kind of agree with you. Ayrshire clubs are being treated as second class citizens

Biggest influence on where cup finals get played are the competition sponsors (where there is one). Ye won't get any complaints from Pollok if West Region Cup Finals get spread around more!

And saying that Peasy Park is unsuitable for the ETC Final this year because it's too close to Perthshire is bullsh*t. 2 years ago with Pollok in the final it was played as usual at Newlandsfield!!

Archived