Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

Just now, scottsdad said:

I think I must be a dinosaur on the phone front. I have one, it isn't on silent or mute. It stays downstairs overnight. 

My wife emailed me earlier to tell me to put a QR code into my phone's wallet. No clue what that means. I know what a QR code is, but the rest is gibberish. 

She means print off the QR code (at work obvs) and put it in your purse.

I must get hundreds of messages or notifications of some kind per day.

You have too many apps on your phone. I get notifications from messaging services and p’n’b. I turn off notifications for everything else. Mind you, i was glad my phone was on silent with the hundreds of notifications from the raith thread last week.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Silent is pointless, it may as well be off, as mentioned above.

I hear it's handy when you're watching wholesome family movies and want visual notification that the wife's on her way home.

28 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

She means print off the QR code (at work obvs) and put it in your purse.

No no no, you print the code, put it on a wooden table, take a picture, print that out, scan it, then upload to your web site for everyone to use.

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

When I watched the hideously over-rated TV show Community I very rarely laughed, but I did enjoy the panic of one character receiving a phonecall from another while remarking "she was born in the 80s, she still uses her phone as a phone!"

Agree about Community and glad to see someone else saying it.

On 08/02/2022 at 06:18, Thorongil said:

I don’t like being at the beck and call of others. If they want me for something, they can wait until it suits me. Across all tech I must get hundreds of messages or notifications of some kind per day. How people can live with the constant interruption is beyond me.

You would get a lot less messages or notifications if you answered your F****** phone!

58 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You would get a lot less messages or notifications if you answered your F****** phone!

Why should I? I’m busy. People just seem to think they are entitled to impose themselves on others. 

Phoning someone unsolicited is, in my view, entitled. And impatient. And obnoxious. 

send a message and if a phone call is truly necessary that can happen with the consent of both parties.

Edited by Thorongil

Sorting out an uncomplicated matter over the phone is much more efficient than a series of to and fro messages, often delayed. I think some people are just shy about talking to other people. 

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sorting out a matter over the phone is much more efficient than a series of to and fro messages, often delayed. I think some people are just shy about talking to other people. 

I think people just get sick of it. Often phone conversations mean that an issue grows arms and legs. 

Me: “Did you think that process will be complete today? If not, when do you think is likely?”

Teams: “bee boop bee boop” as the person starts trying to force a video call on me. 

No.

I would much prefer someone phoned me to discuss something for 5mins than send multiple emails/Teams notifications on the same matter and take up much more of my time.

Of course, phoning me means they can't then attempt to cover their arse at a later date or complain that I didn't respond to their query within 20mins. 

Edit: conversely, one of the downsides of remote working are the amount of meetings that could have been dealt with via an email. 

Edited by Michael W

2 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Firmly in the "if it's important they'll leave a message" camp. 

I remember at my second place of employment my boss throwing unopened letters into the bin. (I think he knew which ones contained cheques...)

"If it's important enough they'll write back."

That wouldn't have helped much if he then threw them straight into the bin...

Sorting out an uncomplicated matter over the phone is much more efficient than a series of to and fro messages, often delayed. I think some people are just shy about talking to other people. 
I dont hesitate to use the phone if needed. I used to hate it in my younger days, now I am more than happy to pick up to phone to anyone I think I can transfer my problem onto.

If its a work or customer service type thing I rarely am fussed for even finding the right phone number these days. I just aim for broadly the right building, and place myself in the hands of others to get me to the right place.

As a wee aside, one thing I have found works well too with auto menus etc is just press nothing and remain silent. Easily the quickest way to a human.