Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd say a minimum of 3 if I'm making a piece. But then, who only has one piece? Not me.

4 for sandwiches (two pieces).

I quite often have a boiled egg and toast for breakfast /lunch. Lunch is bulked out with fruit and a mince pie/tunnocks tea cake/cherry bakewell, or some such.

Granddaughter nr 8 insists on "egg and soldiers" on occasion.

Had the kitchen refitted 7-8 weeks ago and got a dishwasher for the first time.

There's only me and the wife, so there's never a massive amount of dishes at one time and it seems just as easy to hand rinse, resulting in the fact it has yet to see its first load. Would imagine that will come on Christmas day when every single item of cutlery, crockery and glassware in the house inevitably gets used.

Is it economical/worthwhile using it for small or half loads, or have I pished away hundreds of pounds on an appliance that will do as many shifts a year as Santa?

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

4 for sandwiches (two pieces).

I quite often have a boiled egg and toast for breakfast /lunch. Lunch is bulked out with fruit and a mince pie/tunnocks tea cake/cherry bakewell, or some such.

Granddaughter nr 8 insists on "egg and soldiers" on occasion.

One piece is two slices, two pieces is four slices, everybody knows that.

31 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Last few years I have taken out NOW TV for a month to get the Scottish games over Xmas as a wee treat. Aware that after doing so, Covid cancellations may scupper this but hey ho. 

Anyway, told my missus this and first game watching was Hearts v Rangers on Sunday. She takes a passing interest in football - knows 4/5 of the Scottish teams and a few of the "personalities" - as well as trying to watch any Scotland game. Her knowledge is not akin to me say trying to come up with 5 current cricket players or tell you anything about the form of Munster. 

I then told her yesterday that although there was a league card there were no Scottish league games on Sky/NOW TV this weekend so am free as a bird. She replied, "why do they play each other every week?".

I was completely flummoxed by her response and am still struggling with it.....

I still get asked every Saturday when I'm heading out the door to Palmerston. "What time is the football on today?" 

12 years we have been together and she still doesn't know/care that the football is 3 o'clock every week. 

23 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If you like to eat boiled eggs (presumably because you're old or an infant) and have a dishwasher too you can save yourself the hassle of washing a pan at all by boiling the egg in the dishwasher 

https://spoonuniversity.com/how-to/5-foods-cook-dishwasher

I particularly like the way that you've seamlessly integrated the thread's two tangential issues here.  Bravo.

Had the kitchen refitted 7-8 weeks ago and got a dishwasher for the first time.
There's only me and the wife, so there's never a massive amount of dishes at one time and it seems just as easy to hand rinse, resulting in the fact it has yet to see its first load. Would imagine that will come on Christmas day when every single item of cutlery, crockery and glassware in the house inevitably gets used.
Is it economical/worthwhile using it for small or half loads, or have I pished away hundreds of pounds on an appliance that will do as many shifts a year as Santa?
Buy more plates and bowls so you only ever need to run it when it's full. Everyone usually has excessive cutlery so you probably don't need that.

In our house I won't put the dishwasher on until its completely full which is usually ever 2nd day for us

I run my dishwasher about once every 2 weeks. I have plenty dishes, plates, cutlery etc to last, only things I wash in the intervening time are pots and pans so I can cook.
Same with laundry. I have plenty of everything so once every 2weeks is fine!

27 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I run my dishwasher about once every 2 weeks. I have plenty dishes, plates, cutlery etc to last, only things I wash in the intervening time are pots and pans so I can cook.
Same with laundry. I have plenty of everything so once every 2weeks is fine!

Your dishwasher must be honking if you’re leaving plates and stuff in it for up to two weeks!

I reckon I might be the only one here horrified at the idea of getting a dishwasher, let alone leaving stuff in it for multiple days. 

I fucking love washing the dishes and, as I love to cook a lot, I tend to need the pans/knives/chopping board etc back pretty soon.

Tbf there is only one of me. I imagine having for those with clatty partners (see most of this thread) or weans a dishwasher must be a godsend.

8 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

I then told her yesterday that although there was a league card there were no Scottish league games on Sky/NOW TV this weekend so am free as a bird. She replied, "why do they play each other every week?".

It's a good point TBF. Our great-great grandfathers could have got all of this shit settled for good over one season in the 19th century. Dumbarton forever champions; sorted.

Just think of everything we could have accomplished with nothing else to distract us.