Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

Only response to this is to buy a dishwasher and move on with your life.

It makes a massive difference. 

Yep. Makes life so much easier. We have two teenage boys and she works mainly nights, so to be able to fire everything in the dishwasher and get on with other stuff is fantastic.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

It makes a massive difference. 

Thoroughly agree, although minor domestics relating to poor packing of the dishwasher are inevitable, particularly when things have been secretly crammed in at last minute and "there are a few plates in there that are still dirty and you'll have to wash by hand".  Erm... no.  

17 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Thoroughly agree, although minor domestics relating to poor packing of the dishwasher are inevitable, particularly when things have been secretly crammed in at last minute and "there are a few plates in there that are still dirty and you'll have to wash by hand".  Erm... no.  

The correct course of action if plates come out still dirty is put them back in for the next cycle. 

@Honest Saints Fan didn't want to get a dishwasher when we moved into our house, I'm delighted I put my foot down and got one. Wonderful appliance.

I calculated that between me and the wife, one of us was spending about 40 minutes per day standing at the sink, washing dishes. That stuck in my brain, working out how long over the course of a year I was spending standing at a sink, looking at my garden, rubbing away at plates, cups and the like. 

I started talking about it, and became something of an obsession. The wife, separately, decided to buy a dishwasher for us to shut me up.

Dishwashers are great but emptying the dishwasher is still a chore.

To tie in with the theme of this thread, I fill the dishwasher in such a way that I can empty it as quickly as possible (all the same plates together, all the same type of cutlery together etc.). She just fires everything in with no thought given to the position of each item or to the emptying process.

Just now, Ron Aldo said:

To tie in with the theme of this thread, I fill the dishwasher in such a way that I can empty it as quickly as possible (all the same plates together, all the same type of cutlery together etc.). She just fires everything in with no thought given to the position of each item or to the emptying process.

Are you married to my wife?  She doesn't get this either.

Same with washing baskets.  We have 3.  One for lights, one for darks and one for underwear.  Put it in the right basket and there's no need to sort it.  Winds me up having to sort washing before you can put it on.

19 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

She just fires everything in with no thought given to the position of each item or to the emptying process.

The most annoying is placing small plates in the place where the large, much wider plates should go, eventually leaving no space for the larger plates (and an inevitable reshuffle).  That or letting the spoons 'spoon' (pretty much guaranteed to require a second cycle) rather than placing them handle-up and handle-down , or putting in a large pot (which may have only had a boiled egg in it) which takes up half of the drawer.  

Eta:  Actually, worst is definitely placing a bowl in the upper drawer in a way that will collect water and spill onto the dry crockery sitting in the drawer below if disturbed.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

When my other half and I were doing a vineyard tour outside of Cape Town, we both got given a large fancy wine glass, which is my go-to at home.  Before flying home, I highlighted her questionable packing of her bags and that her glass had a low life expectancy in there. 

Naturally, my glass is still in one piece, hers ended up in glass recycling, and I get told that it's her turn to use "our big wineglass from SA".

#CannaPack #WinnaListen #AhKenBest

From my first marriage many, many (20+) years ago, her job was to book the honeymoon. Two weeks in S Africa - first week on the wine tour, second week on safari in Kruger.

Was a little taken aback when we arrived in Cape Town to be told that the daft bint had instead booked us up on the scenic Garden Tour by mistake. Spent a week in a bus with a bunch of old crumblies looking at (admittedly some very nice) scenery. Seething. Also got my worst food poisoning episode from a dodgy tuna mayo.

Probably set in motion the series of events that led to us going our separate ways years later...

I take it the wine tour was good, aye?

26 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The most annoying is placing small plates in the place where the large, much wider plates should go, eventually leaving no space for the larger plates (and an inevitable reshuffle).  That or letting the spoons 'spoon' (pretty much guaranteed to require a second cycle) rather than placing them handle-up and handle-down , or putting in a large pot (which may have only had a boiled egg in it) which takes up half of the drawer.  

Eta:  Actually, worst is definitely placing a bowl in the upper drawer in a way that will collect water and spill onto the dry crockery sitting in the drawer below if disturbed.

If there was only 1 egg, use a smaller pot.

Last few years I have taken out NOW TV for a month to get the Scottish games over Xmas as a wee treat. Aware that after doing so, Covid cancellations may scupper this but hey ho. 

Anyway, told my missus this and first game watching was Hearts v Rangers on Sunday. She takes a passing interest in football - knows 4/5 of the Scottish teams and a few of the "personalities" - as well as trying to watch any Scotland game. Her knowledge is not akin to me say trying to come up with 5 current cricket players or tell you anything about the form of Munster. 

I then told her yesterday that although there was a league card there were no Scottish league games on Sky/NOW TV this weekend so am free as a bird. She replied, "why do they play each other every week?".

I was completely flummoxed by her response and am still struggling with it.....

39 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

35 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Are you married to my wife?  She doesn't get this either.

Same with washing baskets.  We have 3.  One for lights, one for darks and one for underwear.  Put it in the right basket and there's no need to sort it.  Winds me up having to sort washing before you can put it on.

Wait till you're retired.

Washing dishes and sorting laundry becomes the highlight of the day.