Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

9 minutes ago, thomas said:

My wife does this or can't stay in the room watching the program/film having to make various trips to get a drink, snack, phone or any number of reasons that could all be done on the one trip out the room, I'm not an animal so I offer to pause it which is generally met with "no need" and she then takes the huff when I won't fill her in on what she's missed generally now I'll just pause it on the first occasion perhaps twice if it's a film.

They can’t seem to sit at peace or concentrate and I honestly think they are considerably worse in terms of addiction to their phones.

It’s ok if you are just sitting watching shite but when it’s a good programme or film I find it just ruins it so I try to watch that stuff by myself.

This has reminded me of a old girlfriend, who automatically assumed I'd seen any film we saw in the cinema, and would ask questions throughout, like "is he the murderer? Is she going to steal the diamonds? Do they die at the end?". Would not accept "I've never seen this film before, shut up" as an answer.

Absolute nightmare when she knew I had seen a film, and almost seemed anxious about not knowing the plot beforehand. I've known a couple of other people like this too, but I don't get why some people have to have a story explained to them in advance.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

she'll still play around with the phone and expect a quick rewind

13 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

can’t seem to sit at peace or concentrate and I honestly think they are considerably worse in terms of addiction to their phones.

This is usually the case with Mrs SL but this past week she's settled down to watch a Christmas film every night - no phone checking, no falling asleep, just sits there totally lost in the film. Soppy sow.

Tempted to rush in to the room and shout 'what was she in?' or 'is that the bloke from that film we saw the other week?'

The usual MO is to ask me to explain the latest plot development as it's being explained on the screen, thus stopping me from hearing the explanation. After me getting arsey and rewinding, then explaining she inevitably won't recognise any of the names or events that form the explanation. 

3 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

'what was she in?' or 'is that the bloke from that film we saw the other week?'

This is a annoyance of mine. Declared as if it is unusual for an actor to be in more than one thing.

This film talk just reminded me that Mrs. RN#2 used to start reading a book and, after a couple of chapters, skip to the end to see what happened because “she didn’t like surprises “!
I always thought that was kinda the point of reading a book…..

3 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

This film talk just reminded me that Mrs. RN#2 used to start reading a book and, after a couple of chapters, skip to the end to see what happened because “she didn’t like surprises “!
I always thought that was kinda the point of reading a book…..

The lassie I mentioned above did this too. I got her into Stephen King and, when she moved on to his newer books that I hadn't read, she'd skip ahead to the end after establishing the premise.

Again, I've known other people who do this, and it's bizarre behaviour. I certainly don't miss the days of having to say, "hey, you want to watch this really good film called Seven? It's about this brutal puritan serial killer who turns out to be Kevin Spacey, only to cut off Gwyneth Paltrow's head and mail it to Detective Brad Pitt, who kills him as revenge...wait, having played it in my head again, I've changed my mind".

A perfect example 5 minutes ago as we switched over to watch I'm a Celebrity the programme before was just finishing which I think is on it's first episode, right in middle of Maya Jama explaining to a woman what her choices were and what they ment the wife asks me what's happening.

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

This has reminded me of a old girlfriend, who automatically assumed I'd seen any film we saw in the cinema, and would ask questions throughout, like "is he the murderer? Is she going to steal the diamonds? Do they die at the end?". Would not accept "I've never seen this film before, shut up" as an answer.

Absolute nightmare when she knew I had seen a film, and almost seemed anxious about not knowing the plot beforehand. I've known a couple of other people like this too, but I don't get why some people have to have a story explained to them in advance.

I read a study on this.  Some people genuinely do get anxious about not knowing the plot.   They have a calmer and more enjoyable experience if someone tells them the twist before watching.

The human mind is mental

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The lassie I mentioned above did this too. I got her into Stephen King and, when she moved on to his newer books that I hadn't read, she'd skip ahead to the end after establishing the premise.

Again, I've known other people who do this, and it's bizarre behaviour. I certainly don't miss the days of having to say, "hey, you want to watch this really good film called Seven? It's about this brutal puritan serial killer who turns out to be Kevin Spacey, only to cut off Gwyneth Paltrow's head and mail it to Detective Brad Pitt, who kills him as revenge...wait, having played it in my head again, I've changed my mind".

I think that stuff is personality disorder level. And it certainly does happen

15 minutes ago, thomas said:

A perfect example 5 minutes ago as we switched over to watch I'm a Celebrity the programme before was just finishing which I think is on it's first episode, right in middle of Maya Jama explaining to a woman what her choices were and what they ment the wife asks me what's happening.

Considering how common this seems to be, maybe it's like the trope of men never asking for directions. Perhaps women are more likely to immediately ask what's going on if they aren't following something, where men could be more prone to silence for fear of looking stupid.

I'm being terribly kind here.

10 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Do tabloid newspapers still run future Soap Opera storylines as if they are actual news?

I check Digital Spy, it means I don't need to watch if I can't be bothered or there's football on. I wouldn't stream a soap opera if I'd missed it.

41 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I check Digital Spy, it means I don't need to watch if I can't be bothered or there's football on. I wouldn't stream a soap opera if I'd missed it.

If they do it's probably more newsworthy than most of the shite they print anyway. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

If they do it's probably more newsworthy than most of the shite they print anyway. 

I look at the front page of The Record website. I can't bring myself to go further. They often have a story along the lines, Coisty in hilarious put down after Sutton wind up.

3 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Do tabloid newspapers still run future Soap Opera storylines as if they are actual news?

Next time you're in a newsagent (or, more likely, the wee magazine section in the supermarket), take a gander at the covers* in the women's magazine section. There are multiple publications that exist to lay out the next month's worth of soap opera storylines. So you buy the magazine, read about exactly what's going to happen in your terrible TV programme, then watch said programme to make sure they don't deviate from the script, presumably.

* try not to be traumatised by headlines like "RAPED BY MY PARENTS THEN MUM DROVE ME TO SCHOOL" or "MY KILLER HUBBY IS ALSO MY BROTHER AND A GHOST AND ALSO MY ADOPTED GAY SON". Seriously, what's that shit all about?

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I read a study on this.  Some people genuinely do get anxious about not knowing the plot.   They have a calmer and more enjoyable experience if someone tells them the twist before watching.

The human mind is mental

Yet we all post on match threads where 'not knowing the plot' is the big game.

I have now reached the conclusion that finding something to watch which we will both enjoy is impossible. She doesn't like "things which get her feart" by which she means thrillers, anything which "has fighting in it", anything "about sport", anything "depressing" anything "gory" or anything "too loud" etc etc etc. 

A couple of years back she amazed me by really enjoying Drive to Survive. I had never been into F1 before but since watching the series we started following the races. Finally there was a sport she could get into. Yesterday that got blown out the water as she hates Verstappen and refused to watch the race because he had a chance of winning. The outcome didn't help so that's knocked on the head now too.

She would honestly watch Doris Day, Grease, Dirty Dancing and The Quiet Man on loop if she could with the fluffiest Christmas films on Netflix for the whole of December.