Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

18 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I've cut back massively on Facebook, from spending hours on it to now checking it only every other day for a couple of minutes.

My biggest problem is this place, tbh. I hate to think the amount of hours I spend browsing the forum.

That's me.

A lot of folk don't realise how serious social media addiction is, and how big an issue it's becoming.
It's a very fast growing problem and is starting to have very negative effects on a lot of people.
Would seriously suggest people look in to it.
Billions of people addicted to looking at a piece of electronic equipment and nobody even realises it.
Will take a few years yet but hopefully facebook and others will get fined and stopped.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Billions of people addicted to looking at a piece of electronic equipment and nobody even realises it.
Will take a few years yet but hopefully facebook and others will get fined and stopped.

That will never happen, but hopefully more and more folk wake up to the issue and help themselves.

Do we overplay the importance of social media? Not sure I ever mentioned it but I did a degree in history and IIRC there were a number of revolutions, movements, uprisings etc that miraculously happened without social media. It's really just a toy that folk try and add significance to in order to justify their skiving/avoiding real life. Twitter seems the most up itself in terms of the significance users afford it in relation to the percentage of the population that uses it. 

Wrong thread, sorry. 

Mrs Par (I paraphrase) "When are you starting your new business? We are going to be homeless/broke/destitute unless you immediately start grafting as soon as you finish the current job (we're not - genuinely no need for any Grimbo-esque fundraising here).

Me "I've barely had a a day off for 20 years, can I just chill for a bit?"

Her. "I'm booking a week off from my new job. Oh, and I'm taking Friday off. Oh, and I'm going out with my friend tomorrow for lunch. And you need to paint the ensuite ceiling...". 

She is a decent ride though. 

43 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Do we overplay the importance of social media? Not sure I ever mentioned it but I did a degree in history and IIRC there were a number of revolutions, movements, uprisings etc that miraculously happened without social media. It's really just a toy that folk try and add significance to in order to justify their skiving/avoiding real life. Twitter seems the most up itself in terms of the significance users afford it in relation to the percentage of the population that uses it. 

Wrong thread, sorry. 

Mrs Par (I paraphrase) "When are you starting your new business? We are going to be homeless/broke/destitute unless you immediately start grafting as soon as you finish the current job (we're not - genuinely no need for any Grimbo-esque fundraising here).

Her. "I'm booking a week off from my new job. Oh, and I'm taking Friday off. Oh, and I'm going out with my friend tomorrow for lunch. And you need to paint the ensuite ceiling...". 

I think social media is a generational thing. You (I think) are of one of the last generations that grew up without it. I'm 28, social media came to prominence in my teenage years, and there is a reasonable split between people my age who do and don't use it. What worries me is the effect it has on those younger than me, who have never known what it's like without it. I think for that generation it really is all consuming, and it's massively dangerous.

If anyone hasn't watched 'The Social Dilemma' on Netflix, then do. It is terrifying.

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

Wrong thread, sorry. 

Are you a qualified historian?

6 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

Historian's apprentice, followed by two years labouring for David Starkey to get the Historian's ticket. 

A certain poster may have to look to his Ainsley Harriott's, then.

24 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

A certain poster may have to look to his Ainsley Harriott's, then.

One of my old tutors, who looked like Captain Birdseye, occasionally pops up on BBC archeological shows. And a classmate was in the papers for groping a policewomen.

Think my wife is getting tips from this thread! Stupid little wooden hearts have started appearing on door handles one of which has been snapped as it got trapped in a door i was closing.  

Not sure if this goes here or in the PTTGOYN thread but she wanted to throw away a perfectly good slow cooker as the plug was cracked, her workmates were also in agreement with her and thought I was crazy for simply replacing the cracked plug. It didn't help that I sarcastically pointed out that it was almost as if the screws on the plug were there so you could remove and replace it whilst doing so.

On 21/11/2020 at 14:39, thomas said:

Think my wife is getting tips from this thread! Stupid little wooden hearts have started appearing on door handles one of which has been snapped as it got trapped in a door i was closing.  

Not sure if this goes here or in the PTTGOYN thread but she wanted to throw away a perfectly good slow cooker as the plug was cracked, her workmates were also in agreement with her and thought I was crazy for simply replacing the cracked plug. It didn't help that I sarcastically pointed out that it was almost as if the screws on the plug were there so you could remove and replace it whilst doing so.

"But they look nice!"

An utterly dreadful habit. Stamp it oot, quick!

Her: "Do you think we need another skip to clear out my gran's old house?"

Me: "What else are you planning on chucking out?"

Her: "I'm not sure, my mum hasn't decided yet"

Me: "I'm not sure then"

Her: "You're not being much use here, are you?"

35 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Her: "Do you think we need another skip to clear out my gran's old house?"

Me: "What else are you planning on chucking out?"

Her: "I'm not sure, my mum hasn't decided yet"

Me: "I'm not sure then"

Her: "You're not being much use here, are you?"

Take charge, didn't you find valuables recently? Could be an earner in this.