Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

Destination weddings I can see the pros and cons of.

My mate had one and when they invited us I think they thought we'd all stay about 4 days of their 2 weeks.
About 20 of us all booked up for 10 days and had a great holiday with a wedding in the middle of it.

I'd hate any other destination wedding that wasn't like that tbf.

8 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

A bit different if it's just the family, but this pish of getting an invitation through the door to some mate's wedding in fucking Italy or Bali or some shite like that. Get to f**k, I've got my own holiday plans.

I'm bad enough when I find out I've got an all-day invite to a wedding and have to waste a whole day on it rather than just going to the evening do. Travelling to the other side of the planet and dropping five or ten grand just because some daftie wants to be the centre of attention for a full week can get utterly to f**k.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before (unusual I know) j but it I was best man at a “destination wedding” in Tallin. My mate married his Russian bird in Estonia (her folks lived there) and it was a week of vodka consumption with bridesmaids from Novosibirsk.  Great #scenes as the missus couldn’t get time off work to go. 

I did let it slip the night before the wedding to the parents that of course, they were actually already married as the missus and I had been witnesses to this at the Dundee registry office 2 weeks before.

Needless to say, most folk were fucking raging that they had travelled all that way for an unnecessary ceremony. 

Had a good wander round Helsinki that week as well.  I was happy, at least.  Also DJ’d at the airport hotel nightclub for 15 minutes whilst the DJ went for a dooby.  Simpler times.

27 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Had a good wander round Helsinki that week as well.  I was happy, at least.  Also DJ’d at the airport hotel nightclub for 15 minutes whilst the DJ went for a dooby.  Simpler times.

Edited by greendot

11 hours ago, scottsdad said:

My wife married her first husband in 1999, then me in 2004.

We also had a destination wedding: Alloa.

Most destination weddings I've heard of tend to have been beach locations.

Never really heard of many of these 'Safari' ones. You think it'll catch on?

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I don't think I'd go to my own wedding if it was in Florida tbh, f**k going to someone else's.

That's where we did it actually - by that point I'd been best man at a few mates' weddings and after seeing the amount of stress it put them through I made a mental note never to do the traditional thing just to please other people. Let's face it, that's what a hell of a lot of folk end up doing.

Luckily enough, she felt exactly the same way - it was actually her that brought it up. Her folks owned a place in Florida at that point and were going on holiday there anyway so it was very much a two birds/one stone scenario. We'd obviously mentioned to close pals that they were welcome to come, but also said there was absolutely zero pressure for them to because the whole thing was going to be low key...in many cases with these destination wedding deals folk probably go because they feel obligated rather than because it's actually what they want to do.  In the end up, a mate of mine who lives in Texas and his missus came round for it, but we'd have felt guilty if anybody had put themselves in hock for it.

I think a lot of people end up letting the planning side of things take over their lives for a year or more and lose sight of the fact that their wedding isn't of the same paramount importance in the life of everybody they know as it is to them.

We got married in the Dominican , on the beach wearing flip flops.  Nobody was invited but ended up with her dad and step mum there as bizarrely they booked the same hotel for the same 2 weeks as us completely seperately. Didn't even tell them we were getting married there untill we got to the airport lounge . Just wanted to bugger off and do it with as little fuss and stress as possible.

People having a big 'look at me' wedding abroad pisses me off unless they are paying to ship everyone over. I'm lucky if we can get a foreign holiday once every 3 or 4 years so f**k having some loose acquaintance dictate where your next holiday is going to be.  

Reminds me of a pal of MrsP's who was getting married locally but was having a hen 'event' that consisted of a week in Spain followed by a long weekend in Newcastle then a dinner and night out in Glasgow.  She was genuinely upset when MrsP declined the offer on the grounds that we were saving to move house and by the time the event came round we would have a 1 month old baby . It's not even like they were best pals , lucky if they saw each other twice a year !

1 hour ago, JamesP_81 said:

We got married in the Dominican , on the beach wearing flip flops.  Nobody was invited but ended up with her dad and step mum there as bizarrely they booked the same hotel for the same 2 weeks as us completely seperately. Didn't even tell them we were getting married there untill we got to the airport lounge . Just wanted to bugger off and do it with as little fuss and stress as possible.

You're wife defiantly let slip here.  That wasn't a weird accident.

As for getting married abroad,  There's only 2 peoples opinion that matters here.  Where they get married is completely irrelevant to anyone else.    Nobody has a right to attend anyone's wedding and nobody has a right to demand anyone attends their wedding.     People just need to be more secure in their relationships, It's perfectly ok to say no because you can't afford it or say you didn't want a fuss.  If that upsets anyone then f**k em.  No decent relationship is ever ruined by honesty.

I had a destination wedding in Thailand, my back garden.  Never told anyone I was getting married, and it was just all the villagers that attended.  You actually marry the village and the girl gets thrown in as part of the deal😉.  3 days of party.

Told my sisters about a week later, everyone else found out through the wife adding some photos on her Facebook page.

I've been married twice and was lucky enough to have had a destination wedding for both.  

1st was in Arbroath and the 2nd was The Hard Rock Cafe in Hong Kong (we were living in Hong Kong at the time).

All well and good having a wedding abroad (that's what we called it when I was a lad, feck knows when and why they became destination weddings) and giving an open invitation to family and friends to join but wouldn't be comfortable actually formally inviting folk to one and thus putting some sense of obligation onto them - unless you're paying of course! 

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

You're wife defiantly let slip here.  

It's the defiant ones I hate most.

I got married in Greece, four of us there. My mate was Best Man (available). I tried to get a waiter or taxi driver but they wouldn't do it, so I was stuck with him.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

My destination wedding was Fife under a foot of snow. 

We got married in December. We imagined a lovely winter scene with snow, frost, and all that beautiful stuff. It was pissing rain.