Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

9 hours ago, Thorongil said:

I canny stand this kind of tightness. Both parties in a marriage/joint account should use money on what they see fit without judgement or comment IMO. 

If I’m going to make a large purchase for whatever reason like a couple of hundred quid or more, I will mention it in advance so we both know what’s going on on the account she does likewise. 

I have no interest in what she spends our money on, I trust her judgement. 

it’s maybe different if you have a lunatic partner who is sliding you into a more of debt, but day to day, don’t even bother with this stuff.

Never kissed a girl 

17 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You each have your own account and pay in to a common 'bills' account in proportion to your salary?  No?

The correct way to do it.

10 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

A real lack of trust going on here 

You’ve made it quite clear that you are a pathetic manchild who would starve within days if your partner dies first. If she goes on a girls weekend away she probably comes back to Tom Hanks from Castaway pumping a volleyball in the living room.

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You’ve made it quite clear that you are a pathetic manchild who would starve within days if your partner dies first. If she goes on a girls weekend away she probably comes back to Tom Hanks from Castaway pumping a volleyball in the living room.

Incorrect, she doesn’t come back, I have to go looking for her and beg her to come home 

3 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

She’s good with money, so I let her crack on with it, I don’t even know how much money I have. There’s food and alcohol in the house, so I’m happy. Never understood the separate accounts 

Exactly the same. I'm a man of simple means. I arrange  all bills etc, most of which come out by direct debit at the start of the month, and she takes care of the shopping and household stuff.  Fairly sensible and live comfortably within our means.

As long as there's always beer in the fridge and a few quid in my Willie Hills account I'm a happy man.

17 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

An incredible faff. You would need to be have real hang ups about money to bother.

Probably not a hassle, easy enough to move money around these days.

With my 1st wife, we set up a joint account when saving to get married and had our own as well. As we moved jobs we just set up everything to the joint account - I think we had 2, one for saving as well as day to day stuff.

With my 2nd wife we have separate (she doesn't have any income anyway) 'cos inheritance law where I am is very, very iffy. She has never touched anything in her account.

Horses for courses.

8 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Was that scene in the Directors Cut? I don't really get the hysteria around having a joint account, makes sense having one and setting up transfers to other accounts every month after the bills have been paid to spraff on pointless shit that keeps you happy.

14 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

She’s good with money, so I let her crack on with it, I don’t even know how much money I have. There’s food and alcohol in the house, so I’m happy. Never understood the separate accounts 

So one can waste money on garbage that the other doesn't care about. 

£30 on candles?  Her pot it's coming from and therefore f*** all to do with me, so each to their own.  Weekend in Copenhagen whilst I'm working away? Her account, go for it.

On 03/12/2021 at 10:48, KnightswoodVanBear said:

I've been feeling like shit for a few days now.  Either a stinking cold or some kind of bug. 

She has asked me on at least 4 or 5 occasions whats wrong with me, to which I've replied that I'm not feeling great.  This is apparently the incorrect answer as I know that the next time I give any outward indication that i'm not firing on all cylinders, I'll be asked whats wrong with me again.

Joke's on her, I have COVID. 

4 hours ago, Thorongil said:

It’s weird behaviour.

Throwing a huff rather than asking for two pillows to sleep on is weird behaviour. This sounds like sense to me (especially as the woman I'm dating earns much more than me ☺️).

15 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

You each have your own account and pay in to a common 'bills' account in proportion to your salary?  No?

This. 

We've got one of those credit card accounts where we get a few hundred quid a year back on it. We pay for everything using the credit cards and have it set up that they get cleared off every month. 

This is all a bit strange - I seem to be in agreement with the various Rangers fans on here. We've got separate accounts and a joint account which we both have standing orders to pay in to cover bills including the credit card. We're fortunate in being able to pay off the credit card bill in full each month so also use one of the cash back versions. It might sounds a bit odd but stems from when I moved in with her and working from one account seemed a step too far. Works for us - if she wants to spend money on handbags and I want to spend silly amounts to watch Motherwell then we can't complain as long we can pay our way.