Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

Christmas decorations should not be up before December. Anyone seen doing so should be punished by death. No exceptions. 

My gf asked yesterday if we could put ours up once someone else in our street put theirs up. What’s the point in getting them up this early? I always get a real tree. First off I haven’t seen any real trees for sale yet, and secondly, if there were, and we got one today, I seriously doubt it would be looking good come Christmas Day.

I’m with you, wait until December.

I am sure I have posted this before, but when I was in Sweden there were no decorations up until (I think) December 9th. Overnight every house and shop went all in on the festive season. It made it much better and much more christmasy having a short intense burst. 

Here our supermarkets start stocking their Christmas aisles in September. Now houses decorated in November. 

My gf asked yesterday if we could put ours up once someone else in our street put theirs up. What’s the point in getting them up this early? I always get a real tree. First off I haven’t seen any real trees for sale yet, and secondly, if there were, and we got one today, I seriously doubt it would be looking good come Christmas Day.

I’m with you, wait until December.
I saw real trees for sale in Asda last Saturday. I had the same thought that they'll never last from now till Christmas.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

When I was at school, my mate's dad was a minister in a local church. Christmas decorations went up in October, down in February at his house. 

Last year was the worst for us though - loads of folk were sticking them up at this time. 

Noticed house behind mine has Christmas tree up. Up on 20th down on 27th here.

Someone here had their outside lights up at the start of November. I don't know who lives there so gave them the benefit of the doubt in the hope the lights were for Diwali. 

They are Still there. Boooo. 

Edited by Michael W

Over here, the standard used to be that everyone put their decorations up the weekend of the Thanksgiving holiday. So basically, the very end of November. Nowadays it seems the weekend after Halloween is the norm.

Christmas isn't supposed to take up 1/6 of the calendar year. 

We buy a potted tree from forestry commission.  Plant it in the garden.  Last year I was out on 24th and Home Bargains had a couple of potted ones for a fiver.  Dug them in along with the one I had up just the other side of the fence.  There is slight embankment and helped stop the soil erosion as well as hopefully giving us privacy in a few years.  Admittedly it is council land but nobody uses it as it runs the length of the street where back gardens face each other and no public access.

Went Barcelona in August, came back did not notice until a few weeks later they all chewed up dead.  Neighbour said that the day we flew out the council guy cutting the grass deliberately mowed over them repeatedly.  Absolute chunt.

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I am sure I have posted this before, but when I was in Sweden there were no decorations up until (I think) December 9th. Overnight every house and shop went all in on the festive season. It made it much better and much more christmasy having a short intense burst. 

Here our supermarkets start stocking their Christmas aisles in September. Now houses decorated in November. 

December 13th - St Lucia's day, probably.

However, many Swedish homes will have 'four candles' that they light consecutively each Sunday to mark Advent.  And that could actually start in November...

15 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Over here, the standard used to be that everyone put their decorations up the weekend of the Thanksgiving holiday. So basically, the very end of November. Nowadays it seems the weekend after Halloween is the norm.

Christmas isn't supposed to take up 1/6 of the calendar year. 

My wife is American and after much protesting on my part I relented, we now put the decorations up the day after Thanksgiving. 

Edited by Craig the Hunter

She went to the doctor today. A very sore throat, can't swallow any food and very sore to swallow fluids. Can't sleep either. 

The doctor told her it was a virus and prescribed a throat spray to help with the symptoms. 

She has decided that the doctor is wrong. She should have had antibiotics. She has googled her symptoms and some website says she has a bacterial infection. 

Where do I even start?

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

She went to the doctor today. A very sore throat, can't swallow any food and very sore to swallow fluids. Can't sleep either. 

The doctor told her it was a virus and prescribed a throat spray to help with the symptoms. 

She has decided that the doctor is wrong. She should have had antibiotics. She has googled her symptoms and some website says she has a bacterial infection. 

Where do I even start?

Slap her in the face with a fish. It won't cure anything but it'll make you feel better. 

Reorganisation of things whenever I'm away from home for work.  I come back from nightshift offshore and go to get my tub of vitamin D tablets, only to find ALL the vitamins etc have been moved and hidden above the fridge, with the conspicuous absence of the tub required.  Highly likely that she's knocked them down the back of the fridge imo, but I can't be arsed moving the whole thing out to test the theory.

9 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Reorganisation of things whenever I'm away from home for work.  I come back from nightshift offshore and go to get my tub of vitamin D tablets, only to find ALL the vitamins etc have been moved and hidden above the fridge, with the conspicuous absence of the tub required.  Highly likely that she's knocked them down the back of the fridge imo, but I can't be arsed moving the whole thing out to test the theory.

Is this an offshore thing? You get vitamin deprived and need topping up when back on land?