Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't know if it's a female thing and their need to spend but it happens frequently that she'll not think to 'problem solve'. Her brain automatically goes to how things will cost to replace.

There is a guy at my work who is like this, it’s incredibly fucking annoying. Just says “that’s fucked, need to buy a new one” for every single thing that, almost always, could be fixed with minimal effort.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Highly Dundee specific and TBF not the wifes fault but she is away to meet a pal at Ardler community centre for a walk at Clatto because her pal (50) who has lived in Dundee all her life doesn't know where Clatto is 

Clatto is pretty bad. If you go past it and through the fields it's a decent wee walk .

45 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Jumps to the most extreme outcome. The latest being that the (relatively new) shower is going between hot and cold this morning - "aw great, that'll be a new shower we need" then walks around moaning about it wondering how much a new shower will cost.

That's my wife to a tee. Unbelievably wearing.

This morning was an example. Yesterday my stepdaughter asked me to leave her son off at Meadowbank today at 8.50 (he's doing practice for his transfer exam - 11+ in old money). "Leave him at the front door and make sure he doesn't leave his pencil case in the car."

Off we head this morning (they were staying with us as my stepdaughter had had major dental work done yesterday and was in a great deal of pain and half zonked out on medication). Before we leave my wife tells him "Phone granda when you get out and he'll come and pick you up." I leave him off, complete with pencil case and watched him go in the front door. He wasn't sure when he finished but it didn't matter as he was to ring. He didn't know whether he needed a mask or not, and I forgot to give him one when he got out of the car.

Arrived home to 20 questions. "Did you go in with him?" No, I was to leave him at the door. "Did you give him a mask?" "No he didn't think he needed one." "Oh, they won't let him in. He won't know where to go, he's never been there before." "Was he not there last week?" "You know they're here every Saturday." (Not last Saturday they weren't - totally ignored.) "When do you pick him up?" "He's to ring." "No, no, no, that's no use he'll be hanging around for 15 minutes waiting on you arriving." "O.K., I'll be there for 10, it won't last less than an hour."

9.45 on the dot "You need to be away, it'll take you 15 minutes getting there." It only takes 5 minutes when it's something I need to do, but it's always 15 minutes when it's anything to do with her.

Off I went, got parked, just after 10 the phone rang "Granda, I'm finished." "I'm in the car park." Down he came, into the car. I asked him had he been there before - last week. Did he need a mask - no. Did he know where he was going - No, I asked at the desk.

Next year he'll be at the secondary school, they're going to have to unwrap the cotton wool. He's going to be getting a bus, he'll have to cross the main road to get it, he'll have to know where to find his bus to get home, he'll be changing classrooms every 45/60 minutes he'll have to remember to take his schoolbag with him. He's going to have to get a bit of responsibility, he's quite capable, after all he knew to ask at the reception desk where he was supposed to go this morning, he's not 5 years old anymore.  When I was 11 I was getting two buses to Pittodrie with my pals and going to football matches unaccompanied by an adult, not to mention other things,

TLDR: Women, eh?

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

This morning was an example. Yesterday my stepdaughter asked me to leave her son off at Meadowbank today at 8.50 (he's doing practice for his transfer exam - 11+ in old money). "Leave him at the front door and make sure he doesn't leave his pencil case in the car."

Off we head this morning (they were staying with us as my stepdaughter had had major dental work done yesterday and was in a great deal of pain and half zonked out on medication). Before we leave my wife tells him "Phone granda when you get out and he'll come and pick you up." I leave him off, complete with pencil case and watched him go in the front door. He wasn't sure when he finished but it didn't matter as he was to ring. He didn't know whether he needed a mask or not, and I forgot to give him one when he got out of the car.

Arrived home to 20 questions. "Did you go in with him?" No, I was to leave him at the door. "Did you give him a mask?" "No he didn't think he needed one." "Oh, they won't let him in. He won't know where to go, he's never been there before." "Was he not there last week?" "You know they're here every Saturday." (Not last Saturday they weren't - totally ignored.) "When do you pick him up?" "He's to ring." "No, no, no, that's no use he'll be hanging around for 15 minutes waiting on you arriving." "O.K., I'll be there for 10, it won't last less than an hour."

9.45 on the dot "You need to be away, it'll take you 15 minutes getting there." It only takes 5 minutes when it's something I need to do, but it's always 15 minutes when it's anything to do with her.

Off I went, got parked, just after 10 the phone rang "Granda, I'm finished." "I'm in the car park." Down he came, into the car. I asked him had he been there before - last week. Did he need a mask - no. Did he know where he was going - No, I asked at the desk.

Next year he'll be at the secondary school, they're going to have to unwrap the cotton wool. He's going to be getting a bus, he'll have to cross the main road to get it, he'll have to know where to find his bus to get home, he'll be changing classrooms every 45/60 minutes he'll have to remember to take his schoolbag with him. He's going to have to get a bit of responsibility, he's quite capable, after all he knew to ask at the reception desk where he was supposed to go this morning, he's not 5 years old anymore.  When I was 11 I was getting two buses to Pittodrie with my pals and going to football matches unaccompanied by an adult, not to mention other things,

How did the exam go?

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How did the exam go?

It's only practice, he says it went allright, but he says that about everything! :lol: *

*ETA: "Good" is the expression. Everything is "good".

Edited by Jacksgranda

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I imagine there's a fair few of these type posts boiling away in the background.  

This is definitely a petty thing compared to some of the stuff posted on this thread but my OH doesn't seem to understand the purpose of a kitchen/tea towel.

If one lasts more than a day in our house that seems to be a decent outing because quite often it gets used to mop up spilled sauce, copious amounts of liquid (water or otherwise) and left on the counter to fester. Ocassionally it'll get flung over the lid of the cooker to "dry" or in the vain hope the blobs of jam/curry/mustard will magically clean themselves. The idea of using cloth or sponge to mop up or clean the worst of a spill just doesn't seem to occur.

I fully believe its only a matter of time before one develops sentience and I'll have to take it to the vet to be put down.

1 minute ago, Rizzo said:

This is definitely a petty thing compared to some of the stuff posted on this thread but my OH doesn't seem to understand the purpose of a kitchen/tea towel.

If one lasts more than a day in our house that seems to be a decent outing because quite often it gets used to mop up spilled sauce, copious amounts of liquid (water or otherwise) and left on the counter to fester. Ocassionally it'll get flung over the lid of the cooker to "dry" or in the vain hope the blobs of jam/curry/mustard will magically clean themselves. The idea of using cloth or sponge to mop up or clean the worst of a spill just doesn't seem to occur.

I fully believe its only a matter of time before one develops sentience and I'll have to take it to the vet to be put down.

I hope you're not talking about your wife.

If the tea towel does develop sentience, do you think its allowing you to take it off to the vet?

You have a stark choice here tbh, and P&B is the place to get advice on how you and the towel should rebuild the patio

38 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If the tea towel does develop sentience, do you think its allowing you to take it off to the vet?

You have a stark choice here tbh, and P&B is the place to get advice on how you and the towel should rebuild the patio

My experience of highly-evolved tea towels is pretty limited tbf. Are they trainable?

On 18/09/2021 at 12:56, 19QOS19 said:

Jumps to the most extreme outcome. The latest being that the (relatively new) shower is going between hot and cold this morning - "aw great, that'll be a new shower we need" then walks around moaning about it wondering how much a new shower will cost.

I sincerely hope you have better luck with this problem than I have. New flow valve bought and fitted, didn't work, new shower bought and fitted, didn't work, had my plumbing checked by a pro, still not working. I have now mastered the art of washing my entire body in a 30 second gap that the shower has an almost regular temperature. 

15 hours ago, Rizzo said:

My experience of highly-evolved tea towels is pretty limited tbf. Are they trainable?

They are trainable but they are also susceptible to developing an intense cannabis addiction:

Towelie High GIF - Towelie High Bong - Discover & Share GIFs