Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Gherkins and tomatos are savoury m6, regardless of their food group.

I don't particularly like gherkins, so you can stick them up your..ermmm put them at the side of your plate.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm sure I remember something about shredded beetroot mixed into mince making for tasty burger patties.

Then again, I might just be thinking of an outtake from the dinner scene in Salo. Either/or.

I don't mind beetroot, but I don't know if I'd like them in a burger. That shredded thing might be worth investigating, though.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Well f**k them then. Food adapts and evolves and does so rapidly when it's adopted overseas.

When noodles were introduced to Italy from china they evolved into the array of pasta shapes we have today. I wonder if Italian chefs were all like "the chinese wouldn't make a spiral; that's not proper" 

"Authenticicity" is fine in small doses, but is the enemy of progress. 

Agree with this. Incredibly annoying when someone claims a food as their own and loses the plot because you’ve done something differently. I don’t give a f**k what you think and don’t need/want your seal of approval to eat what I want.

4 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Easily solved by ordering a burger (or steak sandwich) with the lot but no beetroot or .... etc etc

I feel you should have to ask for the beetroot rather than ask for it to be omitted.

Much worse than putting a pineapple or a banana near a savoury dish happened to me today.

I got a coffee on way home from school run. For reasons known only to God, they put a syrup into it. I think it was vanilla but I'm not giving it a second taste to confirm. Horrific. Really awful taste, who does this to their coffee willingly?

As it was a drive through coffee, I was ten miles away before I discovered this heinous act.

Quite a bad start to my day.

I'm in shock that beetroot in a burger is a new concept to some folk.

It's excellent btw.

Eta: used to get it in the 'Aussie Burger' at Roo's Leap in Montrose.  Cheeseburger with beetroot, egg and pineapple amongst other things.  One of the greatest dishes ever created.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Much worse than putting a pineapple or a banana near a savoury dish happened to me today.

I got a coffee on way home from school run. For reasons known only to God, they put a syrup into it. I think it was vanilla but I'm not giving it a second taste to confirm. Horrific. Really awful taste, who does this to their coffee willingly?

As it was a drive through coffee, I was ten miles away before I discovered this heinous act.

Quite a bad start to my day.

That seems to be quite normal now. One of my last jobs had a automatic coffee vending machine that was absolutely jam packed with different syrups and shit that people could choose from. You'd get things like spiced pumpkin sauce for Halloween, ginger and nutmeg for Christmas, etc.

Speaking of which, don't ever use those vending machines. Nobody at the place I worked at bothered cleaning it properly, mainly because none of us were taught how, and the supplies we had were well out of date. There's a process you're supposed to follow where you empty the milk container daily, put in some cleaning materials, then let the machine scorch the container with hot water and run a cleaning cycle. You then rinse it out and replace with fresh milk. One of the girls had worked there for years and I discovered that she thought you just had to leave the old milk in the container and drop in the cleaning products to stop it going bad. And people had been drinking that shit for years whenever she was on the late shift.

Not a coffee drinkers myself, but I regularly have this conversation at work:

Me: just going out for lunch, can I get anything for anyone?
Co-worker: ooh, can you pick me up a coffee please? I'll have a grande macchiato with melted chocolate and 5mL BUT NO MORE of Belgian whipped cream, a mix of mint and basil syrups, and...
Me: nope, that's not happening. Get it yourself.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm in shock that 'sweet and sour' is a new concept to some folk :o

I think it's like that autistic thing where every item on the plate has to be separate, not touching, and has to be eaten individually. So, you work through your veg, then eat your potatoes, before finishing with the meat.

...somebody's going to kick off about it being disgusting to eat foods together, aren't they.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

So, you work through your veg, then eat your potatoes, before finishing with the meat.

I'm one of those people.  Often taken a slagging for it, but I rarely find the sum to be better than its parts when it comes to food on a plate.

More accurately, I'll start with the main event (ie the meat), switch my attention to the veg and then finish with the main event.  I don't like having meat and veg in my mouth at the same time*.

*on a plate for you all...

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm one of those people.  Often taken a slagging for it, but I rarely find the sum to be better than its parts when it comes to food on a plate.

More accurately, I'll start with the main event (ie the meat), switch my attention to the veg and then finish with the main event.  I don't like having meat and veg in my mouth at the same time*.

*on a plate for you all...

First time the wife and I ate a meal together, she exclaimed, "OMG, you're a food combiner!"

I'd no idea there was a term for people who put a bit of mash onto their fork with the chicken until then, but I certainly wasn't going to take that shit from someone who regularly ate Mexican food.

17 minutes ago, BFTD said:

First time the wife and I ate a meal together, she exclaimed, "OMG, you're a food combiner!"

I'd no idea there was a term for people who put a bit of mash onto their fork with the chicken until then, but I certainly wasn't going to take that shit from someone who regularly ate Mexican food.

I can think of a few terms, with food combiner pretty far down that list. 

Each element of the meal has its own merits and qualities and deserves to be savoured as such, independent of interference from other food items around it. I even go as far as removing the coating from my fish fingers and eating both elements separately.  

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Not a coffee drinkers myself, but I regularly have this conversation at work:

Me: just going out for lunch, can I get anything for anyone?

There's your problem, you've presented yourself as a caring and kind colleague who is happy to go the lunch run for everyone. I'd probably take advantage of you too.