Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

My other half's got into the habit of putting empty tin cans into the dishwasher. Whether baked beans, tomato soup, corned beef, etc, they all end up in there.  Jam jars etc, are subjected to the same treatment. They go from there into the recycle bin - her thinking is that they should be sparkling clean before someone begins the process of turning them into something else. She even takes the labels off them.

Some mornings I open the dishwasher and there's just about as many cans in there as dishes and cutlery. Personally I just give them a quick rinse under a tap before binning. I'm pretty sure they will be commercially cleaned during the recycling process. 

7 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

My other half's got into the habit of putting empty tin cans into the dishwasher. Whether baked beans, tomato soup, corned beef, etc, they all end up in there.  Jam jars etc, are subjected to the same treatment. They go from there into the recycle bin - her thinking is that they should be sparkling clean before someone begins the process of turning them into something else. She even takes the labels off them.

Some mornings I open the dishwasher and there's just about as many cans in there as dishes and cutlery. Personally I just give them a quick rinse under a tap before binning. I'm pretty sure they will be commercially cleaned during the recycling process. 

I take the labels off ours, too, but I refrain from putting the cans in the dishwasher. Probably because we haven't got one.

17 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I take the labels off ours, too, but I refrain from putting the cans in the dishwasher. Probably because we haven't got one.

Why?

It is NOT mandatory for you to remove each label before chucking the can, bottle, or jar into the recycling bin. Luckily, the recycling process includes a heating process where any labels and excess glue are burned away.20 Jul 2018

Edited by ICTJohnboy

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Why?

It is NOT mandatory for you to remove each label before chucking the can, bottle, or jar into the recycling bin. Luckily, the recycling process includes a heating process where any labels and excess glue are burned away.20 Jul 2018

I just do.

Anyway, what are you doing up at this time of the morning?

Edited by Jacksgranda

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think I'll stick with what I've got, thanks all the same. (I'd only be a disappointment anyway).

Probably wise.

Regarding your question on what am I doing up at this time of the morning - I always wake up needing a pee at 5.00am. I could set my watch by it. Don't always get back off to sleep, usually get up and make a cup of tea, then come on here and annoy people by posting gibberish.

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Probably wise.

Regarding your question on what am I doing up at this time of the morning - I always wake up needing a pee at 5.00am. I could set my watch by it. Don't always get back off to sleep, usually get up and make a cup of tea, then come on here and annoy people by posting gibberish.

Funnily enough I wakened before 5 this morning, lay and read for a while, thought I might drift off again, but realised I'd be better off going for a piddle, and just decided to stay up. Also posting gibberish comes naturally to me.

My mother's one of the deep-cleaning-the-recycling brigade, which was a club I thought her the lone member of, until now. She's always complaining about the state of the neighbours' plastic bottles and suchlike.

STOP LOOKING AT OTHER PEOPLE'S RUBBISH, YOU SILLY AULD COW

China's stopped taking our recycling because it's always contaminated, rendering it only fit for landfill. Now it ends up dumped in the open in the 3rd world. Listen to your Mother.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

China's stopped taking our recycling because it's always contaminated, rendering it only fit for landfill. Now it ends up dumped in the open in the 3rd world. Listen to your Mother.

That can't be true. Our council's always bragging that seventy-odd percent of domestic refuse is re-used.

Are you saying...the council have been lying to us? Preposterous.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

They probably mean 70% is accepted by a mixed recycling facility. It's a bit of a simplification to say all of this was going to China or now Malaysia but certainly a big chunk was. I don't really get the problem with doing it here, it'll create a useful industry and make the organised crime element that exists now much harder.

It might take thought and money, though. Maybe even planning. Let's just put everything on a boat somewhere. Can't we just burn it all, or fire it into the sea? Oh God, the sun's too far away, isn't it. Why does everything have to be so hard?

Quite fancy this politics lark. I could do that all day.

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'd vote for you.

@Melanius Mullarkey - you up for being my Minister for Employment?

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

Actually in Scandinavia they do burn a lot of it. They're sufficiently rational people the NIMBY argument doesn't work.

Yeah, I'd heard that. Is that environmentally sound? Presumably they don't torch the plastics.