Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

9 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

I take it she only drives very short distances, and at mainly residential roads if she was plodding along in 2nd the whole time?

around the town, probably up to 30. You could hear the engine was not happy with the situation.

She won't drive on main roads or motorways and is a terrible judge of journey times, usually underestimating by about 70%. This could just be so that she can argur that I'm being a dick by not wanting to go to for a daytrip that's "only an hour away". That's pretty infuriating too.

25 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I have eventually persuaded mrs olite that driving about in 2nd gear uses too much petrol. She has graduated to third now. (she has never been in 5th in our current car that we've had 4 years and didn't even know it had a 6th)

I have also eventually convinced her that the condensation and mildew issue in our bedroom was not unrelated to her locating the clothes horse in there. it is now in the kitchen. This has taken 5 years of clear evidence of cause and effect.

There is always hope. don't give up.

I'm nominating that car's engine for this year's P&B Dead Pool.

32 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I have eventually persuaded mrs olite that driving about in 2nd gear uses too much petrol. She has graduated to third now. (she has never been in 5th in our current car that we've had 4 years and didn't even know it had a 6th)

I have also eventually convinced her that the condensation and mildew issue in our bedroom was not unrelated to her locating the clothes horse in there. it is now in the kitchen. This has taken 5 years of clear evidence of cause and effect.

First time Mrs borrowed my current car I got an angry call from her and could hear the engine screaming over her screams. "Why is it so fucking noisy?" she was yelling. She'd clicked one of the gear paddles to lock it into manual mode so was also driving about in 2nd. Had to talk her through putting it back into auto. Found an option in a sub menu to disable the paddle  shifters too. 

My wife is fortunately an adequate driver, other than her inability to navigate. This means that I can sit and sleep as long as we're going somewhere she's been before. A Harry Potter audiobook usually shuts the kids up too.

26 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

First time Mrs borrowed my current car I got an angry call from her and could hear the engine screaming over her screams. "Why is it so fucking noisy?" she was yelling. She'd clicked one of the gear paddles to lock it into manual mode so was also driving about in 2nd. Had to talk her through putting it back into auto. Found an option in a sub menu to disable the paddle  shifters too. 

I can see how she got confusef. What the f**k is a gear paddle? Is it not usually a stick?

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I think I was stuck behind her yesterday, top speed of 30 mph between Aberdour and Duloch, 15 mph on the back road from Hillend I was fuming

38 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Gear paddles? What the f**k's she driving, a Maserati?

24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I can see how she got confusef. What the f**k is a gear paddle? Is it not usually a stick?

Lots of automatics have paddle things behind the steering wheels so if you want to stick in a certain gear or change manually you can use the "flappy paddles". 

41 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Loads of cars have them now - it was just my Jag. She has taken it today too as the steering wheel in her car is too cold (mine is heated). 

What model?  I like the look of the E and F-pace, also my mate has an XE for work and its nice.

7 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

What model?  I like the look of the E and F-pace, also my mate has an XE for work and its nice.

It's an XE. I've done the opposite to a midlife crisis and binned the wee sports cars in favour of something comfy.  

Unless you're planning knocking out 5 course cordon bleu dinners every night, cooking is relatively simple, in my experience. (Not knocking your expertise, buchan30.)

I know what you mean. I think i was just pleasantly surprised at it being a skill I didn’t know i really had.

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Hopelessly wrong. :lol:

Actually, I don't think I've watched a cookery programme in my life - unless it was Nigella Lawson, and that wasn't for any cooking tips. (Other tips, perhaps.)

Would have had you  down as a fanny lover :lol:

6279D891-C813-4942-BBAF-9C263077D37E.jpeg

On 12/8/2018 at 00:29, The_Kincardine said:

Back on topic, my son had his interview with Cambridge yesterday.  His maw wants him to stay with her for the weekend to 'talk about it'.  He wants to stay with me and go to the pub with his pals!

On 12/9/2018 at 09:32, Estragon said:

Well I'll be honest Kincardine. This, I was not expecting...

That's amazing, when does he hear? 

Following up on this short conversation.  Well, he got an offer* from King's College at the end of last week but wants to turn it down as 1. He wants to take a gap year and 2. He prefers Manchester or Durham.

His maw (back on topic) is doing her fucking dinger and blaming me (very much on topic) - declaiming that my iconoclasticism is ruining my son's future.  For me?  I'm not sure if I should berate him for giving up a gilt-edged entry card to The Establishment or congratulate him on top trolling of his auld dear.

Edit.  * Offer is conditional in him achieving A*AA in his A Levels, naturally.

Edited by The_Kincardine