Infuriating Things Your Partner Does

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

I’ve been living with my girlfriend for nearly a year and we haven’t bothered having a joint account. Any savings go into my savings account because I had one before we moved in.

images.jpeg

As soon as we bought the flat I was keen to share the money and we set up this:-

Our salaries go into our sole accounts

Standing orders are set up to dump most of that into the joint account

The mortgage, bills and gorceries come out of the joint account

We both leave enough in our sole accounts to have an equal disposable income

Any surplus in the joint account goes into joint savings; any surplus in sole accounts can go into sole savings (not that it ever happens!)

I mean no offence but that sounds really painful to me. I couldn't be bothered with the whole joint accounts for this and that and splitting money up so each has a fair share. Just throw it all into the pile and spend it, some months I'll spend more and some months she'll spend more. We discuss big expenses and decide together if we can afford it and as for nights out with mates etc, we just tell each other what we need and take it. Don't think we've ever had an argument over money in 11 years together.

I have a work colleague who tracks every single family expense down to the penny and then invoices his wife at the end of the month for her share, which is pro-rated according to their income splits. f**k that for a game of soldiers.

Haha not even joking. He has a spreadsheet with every expense and at the end of the month calculates her share of the expenses and hands her an actual invoice which she then pays into his account.

Genuinely amazed that he is not a colossal VL.

3 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Genuinely amazed people think that it's true! 

Folk can be really weird about money. Not partner related but used to work with a couple of guys that went for a pint or two together every lunchtime. At end of week if there had been an odd number of rounds bought the one that had bought the least would had over the cash for a pint to the other. They had been working and drinking together for a couple of years and went through this every week. The idea of just remembering till Monday who's round it was seemed beyond them, didn't like 'owing' over the weekend. They were English.

22 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

I mean no offence but that sounds really painful to me. I couldn't be bothered with the whole joint accounts for this and that and splitting money up so each has a fair share. Just throw it all into the pile and spend it

Each to their own, I just wanted to share what works for us.  I don't think it's complicated at all.   The only painful part of it is sitting down and working out a general budget in the first place, which surely everyone should do anyway.

Edited by bunglebonce

7 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Folk can be really weird about money. Not partner related but used to work with a couple of guys that went for a pint or two together every lunchtime. At end of week if there had been an odd number of rounds bought the one that had bought the least would had over the cash for a pint to the other. They had been working and drinking together for a couple of years and went through this every week. The idea of just remembering till Monday who's round it was seemed beyond them, didn't like 'owing' over the weekend. They were English odd.

May be the same thing.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Have you never met anyone who's a bit odd?

Of course but I've never met anybody who would take the time to actually invoice his own family.  I get possibly asking for money each month but actually producing an invoice?  That's just too far-fetched for me!

13 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Oh it's true. If you knew him it wouldn't even surprise you.

He is actually a good guy as well, just a bit mental when it comes to money.

Do you think they have much of a sex life? I can't imagine that giving a girl an invoice would be a big turn on for her. 

22 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Do you think they have much of a sex life? I can't imagine that giving a girl an invoice would be a big turn on for her. 

Maybe she invoices him. Or she gets discount if more than x times a month.

We have a joint account for household bills, mortgage and food shopping that we both put a set amount into each month. We put away the same amount each into a holiday fund and then the rest of the money we spend as we wish.

Am I f**k subsidising her £100+ a month on generic hair and beauty nonsense, nor would I want her paying for my football away days.