Time for mandatory mergers?

On 06/07/2017 at 12:59, Hampden Diehard said:

What talk about mergers does is ignores the current allegiances that people have.  Thus, an Eintracht Ayrshire team will never take off, as football fans in Ayrshire are very allied to the two current senior sides.  Irrespective of how well it does, they will not feel any great loyalty to it.  You would be relying on new fans to support the team.  I wonder how many ICT fans were regulars at either Caley or Thistle.  ICT ain't their team.

If QP merged, I wouldn't cross the street to watch the new side.

A regional side might work where there is no strong tradition of supporting teams already (rugby outwith the Borders being a good example)....but it didn't work in the Borders as people there actually went to support their local team. 

There are quite a few like myself who used to support either Caley or Thistle, but I think you will find that many of the ones who walked away (pun) and didn't support the merged club already supported clubs in the Premier League mainly one of the OF. They were not lost to football they just traveled down to Ibrox or Celtic Park more often. There were many Caley fans who also supported Rangers as their big team, can't say we miss them at the TCS. The HL is just like the Juniors where supporters have their local club and also their preferred big team. Then there are the few golden ones who only support their little local team.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived