NBA

Cerberus

I don’t get the hard time Durant gets just for signing for the Warriors. What was he supposed to do? Sign for a worse team to make the league more interesting, or join up with Steph Curry for one of the best shooting combos in NBA history?

CJ McCallum seems to think the former.

Seems to me they were both playing it for laughs, and Twitter took it out of context. Or at least, that seems to be the extent of the fall out. No beef, apparently.

• 1 month later...

There's no generic basketball thread but tell me if this needs papped out of the NBA one into a specific BBL thread. First night of the British Basketball League tonight. My local team London Lions are hosting my old local team Glasgow Rocks. Should be about 1500-2000 in attendance depending on how the Groupon sales have gone! Lions finished second in the league last year and seem to have strengthened over the summer. A possibility that Leicester Riders, perennial champions, now playing in the European Champions League will see a hangover from their midweek games giving Lions an opportunity for the title. A big season for the Lions as another club has started up nearby, London City Royals (technically my local team, playing 500m from my front door).

Not got much intel on Glasgow Rocks so not sure what to expect tonight. Tickets bought though and it's been genuinely getting me through the week. Not that much of a basketball fan either, but nice to do something different from time to time.

On 21/09/2018 at 22:42, Birdman said:

After that performance tonight the Rocks will be fighting for a play off place this season.

Lions absolutely horsed Rocks and were showboating by the end with the alley-oops, under the nets etc. Then the next night Lions get turned over by Plymouth and Rocks win against Surrey. So it's all a bit too early to call. Managed to win tickets to see London City Royals in their first home game tomorrow night. They are promising "live DJ, dancers, competitions, entertainment" but at £22.50 for a ticket and no concessions, it could all get a bit awkward with two men and their dog in attendance. Hopefully Surrey bring a few away fans and the crowd is at least triple figures.

• 3 weeks later...

Got tickets to see 76ers @ Magic when I'm in Orlando in November. Luxury suite with a decent view so hopefully I'll get to see Embiid and Simmons in person.

Knicks will be better than people think this season because of the coaching but we'll still struggle to get anywhere near the playoffs. Need young guys to impress and Porzingis to come back strong whenever he's back and we'll get Durant and Kyrie in Free Agency over the next couple of years.

taken a passing interest in the NBA the last few years, may start fully paying attention now.  Going to support the Warriors because I follow the Lions and Browns in the NFL so am entitled to some glory hunting.

taken a passing interest in the NBA the last few years, may start fully paying attention now.  Going to support the Warriors because I follow the Lions and Browns in the NFL so am entitled to some glory hunting.
I'd pick another target then cause this is the last season the warriors will be good I reckon. I mean they will still have Steph and Green but I see the other big 3 leaving.

Good win for the Celtics last night, they should win the east really even with Kawhi in Toronto.

6ers should really throw everything at getting a decent wing to go with Simmons and Embiid if they want to compete. Saruc, Fultz and a pick for Butler say.

Got tickets to see 76ers @ Magic when I'm in Orlando in November. Luxury suite with a decent view so hopefully I'll get to see Embiid and Simmons in person.
Knicks will be better than people think this season because of the coaching but we'll still struggle to get anywhere near the playoffs. Need young guys to impress and Porzingis to come back strong whenever he's back and we'll get Durant and Kyrie in Free Agency over the next couple of years.

As a regular visitor to Orlando i’ve adopted Magic as my NBA team, can I just say watching Magic beat the Lakers with a 3 pointer at the buzzer was honestly one of the most intense sporting experiences ive ever witnessed and the crowd (yes an american sports crowd, I was shocked too) went absolutely mental, it was amazing. The Am-way is by far and away one of my favourite sporting venues to visit, it is absolutely brilliant, the staff are fantastic, the pre game experience really good, the quality of basketball is excellent, facilities better than anything i’ve had elsewhere (including Yankee stadium), its just generally excellent, ive never been in a box so keen to hear how that goes, but honestly they make you feel like a VIP even if you’re in the $10 seats. Hope you enjoy.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

As a regular visitor to Orlando i’ve adopted Magic as my NBA team, can I just say watching Magic beat the Lakers with a 3 pointer at the buzzer was honestly one of the most intense sporting experiences ive ever witnessed and the crowd (yes an american sports crowd, I was shocked too) went absolutely mental, it was amazing. The Am-way is by far and away one of my favourite sporting venues to visit, it is absolutely brilliant, the staff are fantastic, the pre game experience really good, the quality of basketball is excellent, facilities better than anything i’ve had elsewhere (including Yankee stadium), its just generally excellent, ive never been in a box so keen to hear how that goes, but honestly they make you feel like a VIP even if you’re in the $10 seats. Hope you enjoy.

I think Basketball in general is one of the most exciting sports to see live. The pace and the drama during close games is unrivalled. I'll report back but excited to see Mo Bamba and Aaron Gordon in the flesh as much as Embiid/Simmons.

21 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

I think Basketball in general is one of the most exciting sports to see live. The pace and the drama during close games is unrivalled. I'll report back but excited to see Mo Bamba and Aaron Gordon in the flesh as much as Embiid/Simmons.

Last season I went to see the Knicks against the Wizards at MSG. Neither Porzingis nor Wall were playing, and both teams were trying to tank. It was pretty exciting tbh.

Aaron Gordon is just a fucking excellent player to watch, so much coverage. I think magic have the bare bones of a decent team, its just they get absolutely shagged when they have injuries.

Aaron Gordon is just a fucking excellent player to watch, so much coverage. I think magic have the bare bones of a decent team, its just they get absolutely shagged when they have injuries.
Mo Bamba is going to be a monster for them I reckon over the next few years and Gordon is very good too. Depth is a big issue for them however.

Like yourself I have adopted the Magic as my team, been to a few games in the past and jumped at the chance to go see them closer to home when they played in London a few years ago too. One of the games I went to was against the lakers as well. Coming in to it off the back of a 10 game losing streak to win it in overtime was by far and away one of the best sporting experiences I've ever experienced. Fell in love with the team and the sport and have up my football season ticket to go to more basketball games back here too. Looking forward to this season even though I don't hold much hope, as long as there's an improvement and the players work well together (and continue to keep my heart rate raised) I'll be happy!

Like yourself I have adopted the Magic as my team, been to a few games in the past and jumped at the chance to go see them closer to home when they played in London a few years ago too. One of the games I went to was against the lakers as well. Coming in to it off the back of a 10 game losing streak to win it in overtime was by far and away one of the best sporting experiences I've ever experienced. Fell in love with the team and the sport and have up my football season ticket to go to more basketball games back here too. Looking forward to this season even though I don't hold much hope, as long as there's an improvement and the players work well together (and continue to keep my heart rate raised) I'll be happy!

I dont predict a post season berth for this year but would expect a vast improvement on last year, I do however think Toronto will do something this year.