NBA

Cerberus

In New York mid-November, so managed to get tickets for the Nets v Grizzlies game. Only one on in either Brooklyn or MSG while we're there, but could be a worse fixture tbf. Will be very interesting to see how KD, Kyrie and Simmons get on this year. All the ingredients of being outstanding, or a complete fucking shambles.

This is tonight and really looking forward to it, although gutted that Ja turned his ankle Friday night as looks like he’s going to be missing now and was the player I was most looking forward to seeing along with KD. Interestingly Kyrie is listed as questionable, so could be back in the squad after his suspension (apologised again last night). Be very interesting to see what sort of reaction he gets if he does.

Got the Giants NFL game first this afternoon (tip off is at 7), so a feast of sport, and should be relatively well oiled by the time we get to Barclays.

This is tonight and really looking forward to it, although gutted that Ja turned his ankle Friday night as looks like he’s going to be missing now and was the player I was most looking forward to seeing along with KD. Interestingly Kyrie is listed as questionable, so could be back in the squad after his suspension (apologised again last night). Be very interesting to see what sort of reaction he gets if he does.

Got the Giants NFL game first this afternoon (tip off is at 7), so a feast of sport, and should be relatively well oiled by the time we get to Barclays.

Love going to NBA games. Bit of a shame that none of Morant, Bane or Jackson played for the Grizzlies, but game was great all the same and had really good seats. Ben Simmons was really good and KD put up a fair few buckets even if he didn’t play that well. Kyrie didn’t score many, but some of his handles are obscene. Yuta Wantanabe is the boy, Nets fans fucking love him.

Got caught up in the protests outside (wife even appeared in one of the videos that went viral). Some drunk white guy next to us nearly got lifted for shouting abuse at them in the queue. Great fun all round.

63216259162c161be1445418c6195e53.jpg
3338c9687814b333176a9f7f83346b12.jpg
7a0141d8d92b2e5fb339df33b153ba62.jpg
4fdadab761b8c6c88e4cf40ebcc584f7.jpg

Warriors v Utah Jazz on Friday. Both teams played some great stuff. Steph Curry is a joy to watch at times. First visit since the Warriors moved from Oakland. Fantastic stadium. 

2E72EE12-78DA-4E00-A149-4C8100B4BB53.jpeg

A4E08122-B35A-4EFA-BE1D-B6C6F88FF237.jpeg

37FAA09C-8062-46E6-8F7D-47BC77412FD6.jpeg

Edited by Jute

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2022 at 15:44, J_Stewart said:

Love going to NBA games. Bit of a shame that none of Morant, Bane or Jackson played for the Grizzlies, but game was great all the same and had really good seats. Ben Simmons was really good and KD put up a fair few buckets even if he didn’t play that well. Kyrie didn’t score many, but some of his handles are obscene. Yuta Wantanabe is the boy, Nets fans fucking love him.

Got caught up in the protests outside (wife even appeared in one of the videos that went viral). Some drunk white guy next to us nearly got lifted for shouting abuse at them in the queue. Great fun all round.

63216259162c161be1445418c6195e53.jpg
3338c9687814b333176a9f7f83346b12.jpg
7a0141d8d92b2e5fb339df33b153ba62.jpg
4fdadab761b8c6c88e4cf40ebcc584f7.jpg

On 27/11/2022 at 07:32, Jute said:

Warriors v Utah Jazz on Friday. Both teams played some great stuff. Steph Curry is a joy to watch at times. First visit since the Warriors moved from an Oakland. Fantastic stadium. 

2E72EE12-78DA-4E00-A149-4C8100B4BB53.jpeg

A4E08122-B35A-4EFA-BE1D-B6C6F88FF237.jpeg

37FAA09C-8062-46E6-8F7D-47BC77412FD6.jpeg

Not remotely jealous.  

i like how American sport makes every game an occasion, whereas Scottish football goes through the motions relying on season ticket holders turning up for the same old experience year in year out.  

I’ve been lucky enough to see Barry Bonds, Shane Warne, and Ross Tokely at their prime.  I think Curry will be remembered in that echelon of sportsmen on a different stratosphere to their peers.  

13 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Warriors are absolute mince on the road just now with him playing. Think they'll really struggle without him

Yup. I think back to back championships are a tough ask, even with a team as well coached as the Warriors.  

13 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Warriors are absolute mince on the road just now with him playing. Think they'll really struggle without him

Road form is horrific. Can’t lose at home but can’t win away. Lost again last night. Don’t think Warriors are making it back to back Championships either. 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Lebron looks like he's going to break the scoring record this week. 

Fair play to him putting up numbers this year on a par with him in his prime. Legitimate argument about him being the best now, imo. 

I don't even see it as an argument anymore tbh. In the same month he's going to have become both the 4th highest in assists, and the top scorer of all time. It's absolutely ridiculous and I'd be amazed if the points record was broken again in my lifetime, let alone by someone who has contributed so much to his teammates as well. It's a bit like the Messi - Ronaldo debate, in that Jordan (like Ronaldo) and obviously a maniacally driven winner and an unbelievable scorer, but his rival is both of those things as well, whilst also having additional skillsets that set them apart (Passing and assists for teammates, rebounding and blocks for Bron, dribbling and playmaking for Messi). Phenomenal, all time greats in their sports, but, IMO, only one clear "best".

Kyrie and Luka at the Mavs is going to be absolute must watch stuff on the court, whilst Kyrie being that close to the grassy knoll in Dallas could also lead to some sensational off-court banter. Wonderful trade. 

4 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

I don't even see it as an argument anymore tbh. In the same month he's going to have become both the 4th highest in assists, and the top scorer of all time. It's absolutely ridiculous and I'd be amazed if the points record was broken again in my lifetime, let alone by someone who has contributed so much to his teammates as well. It's a bit like the Messi - Ronaldo debate, in that Jordan (like Ronaldo) and obviously a maniacally driven winner and an unbelievable scorer, but his rival is both of those things as well, whilst also having additional skillsets that set them apart (Passing and assists for teammates, rebounding and blocks for Bron, dribbling and playmaking for Messi). Phenomenal, all time greats in their sports, but, IMO, only one clear "best".

Kyrie and Luka at the Mavs is going to be absolute must watch stuff on the court, whilst Kyrie being that close to the grassy knoll in Dallas could also lead to some sensational off-court banter. Wonderful trade. 

Don't disagree with that at all. I'd say Maradona/Messi comparison apt as well, MJ will always be folks from that eras favourite due to nostalgia, but aye, I think LeBron is incredible and like you say, has everything. 

Be interesting to see how Kyrie and Luka play together. Can see it being a short stint and Kyrie going to LA in the summer

20 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Lakers lost last night. 

Had a chuckle to myself when I saw they stopped the game after his shot so they could do a ceremony then restarted the game, Americans down to a tee that sort of behaviour.

I watched it this morning before work without knowing the score or anything about it, and from the first second of the coverage I just absolutely knew he was breaking that record. Zero doubt. As soon as the headband was spotted, it was an inevitable formality. Some of his scoring, particularly driving to the basket at speed and just bodying boys 10 / 15 years younger than him, are just absurd for a 38-year old in that sport that's been a professional for 20-years and playing at the highest level available to him for around 30. Man is a genuine freak of nature. We're over in LA in a couple of weeks and got tickets for the Lakers Warriors game. Praying that he's fit and Steph makes an earlier than expected recovery.

2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Had a chuckle to myself when I saw they stopped the game after his shot so they could do a ceremony then restarted the game, Americans down to a tee that sort of behaviour.

The funniest part is that for all the pomp and circumstance, it was actually relatively understated compared to what I was expecting. They really do love to make a big deal out of these things, did the same when Steph broke the 3-point record last year.  A nation of fucking lunatics. Was worth it for the sheer awkwardness of the moments and photos with Kareem. Curb your enthusiasm like cringing stuff.

2 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Lakers lost last night. 

You'd have been forgiven for thinking AD was in "street clothes" mode again last night he was so anonymous, was bizarre. Russ and Pat Bev are like the Harry Maguire of the NBA. Generally hilarious watching their antics and decision making. Whole thing was an enjoyable watch.