NBA

Cerberus

Kyrie Irving being a big, massive weirdo coming as a huge surprise to absolutely nobody. Between this and his flat earth patter a while back. A phenomenally talented player but a crackpot off the court. 

At minimum he's missing half a season through choice, but it's likely to be more than that. 

He’s an absolute enigma. Does a power of great work for charity, is generally pretty well spoken during press conferences, and then just takes up these absolutely ludicrous positions almost entirely through contrarianism and boredom. Never dull. Sounds like the Nets have decided they won’t be offering him an extension now if he doesn’t get vaccinated.

Jordan Poole has had some preseason for the Warriors. With Steph getting a bit more help from him, Klay being back soon, and Wiseman a little bit more experienced, they should be a much better prospect than the last couple of years.

On 14/10/2021 at 21:39, J_Stewart said:

He’s an absolute enigma. Does a power of great work for charity, is generally pretty well spoken during press conferences, and then just takes up these absolutely ludicrous positions almost entirely through contrarianism and boredom. Never dull. Sounds like the Nets have decided they won’t be offering him an extension now if he doesn’t get vaccinated.

Jordan Poole has had some preseason for the Warriors. With Steph getting a bit more help from him, Klay being back soon, and Wiseman a little bit more experienced, they should be a much better prospect than the last couple of years.

He's clearly not an idiot. Like you say when he's spoken on issues in the past he's always come across well. Then he just listens to too much Joe Rogan and goes clean off the deep end. 

Hopefully we get a full season out of Steph Curry now he's recovered. A tremendously entertaining player over the past few years. 

Won't be doing so often, but first games of the season, so recorded both games and watched them before work this morning. Giannis absolutely brushed the Nets aside, and if he stays healthy for the majority of the season (along with Middleton and Jrue), then the Bucks are favourites again as far as I'm concerned, and the MVP is his for as long as he wants it. Still came away with 32 points and 11 rebounds, but didn't think KD played that well, looked a bit sluggish, thought Harden looked pretty strong though. They definitely missed Kyrie's creativity.

Put a bet builder on, Lebron over 37.5 points, assists and rebounds, AD the same over 33.5, Giannis the same over 48.5 and KD over 24.5 points, only thing that screwed me for my £480 was Steph's 3-point shooting. I know it's happened before, but don't think I've ever watched a PG get a triple double before, was some performance. Was a really good game, and both teams looked good more often than not. Warriors passing and movement was excellent, and got them a lot of open 3s for everyone other than Steph. He's going to be double and triple teamed all season, so there'll be plenty opportunities for Poole, Wiggins, Lee, Iggy, etc. AD and Lebron were excellent, Westbrook not so much. Got a sneaking suspicion that isn't going to work.

I watched London Lions in the FIBA Europe Cup last night at the Copper Box in Stratford. I am not a huge basketball fan but from all my reading before the game the opponents, Medi Bayreuth, were clear favourites to win. I think it was accepted that Lions would lose both Bayreuth games and just hope to pick up wins against the other teams in the group. They went into half time 16 points up on the Bundesliga outfit and eventually won 81 - 71.  British teams have apparently always struggled in Europe for various reasons, including the low salary cap in the BBL. Lions were bought by a private equity firm called 777 Partners in the summer with aims of turning them into a European powerhouse, and they have brought in four players with NBA experience to play solely in the European games, meaning their salaries won't count towards the BBL salary cap. There were probably 600 - 700 in attendance and Lions were dominant. The Copper Box itself has a capacity of 7,500 and they will be hoping to pack that out in years to come.

• 4 weeks later...

Just been catching up on the Enes Kanter and LeBron stuff. How can it be allowed to turn up with a drawing of your opponent on your trainers in a league with a million crazy rules.

Kanter is an actual fascist but gets away with it by only discussing politics east of Athens and west of California. 

Just been catching up on the Enes Kanter and LeBron stuff. How can it be allowed to turn up with a drawing of your opponent on your trainers in a league with a million crazy rules.
Kanter is an actual fascist but gets away with it by only discussing politics east of Athens and west of California. 
Dont want to sound wet, but is that Athens, Ga & California, UK?[emoji87][emoji2371]

• 2 months later...

Some trade being lined up between the Nets and 76ers, Harden for Simmons, Drummond, Seth Curry and picks. If Simmons has any kind of focus, the Nets should be coming out well ahead in that long-term, good as Harden is. Should strengthen both of them short-term though.

• 1 month later...

A long way away from the NBA but I didn't see another basketball thread.

Went to Renfrew Rocks 100-55 Pleasance Basketball Club at the Lagoon Centre in Paisly today. Really enjoyed my first live basketball game despite it being a bit one sided. Renfrew just won the title in the Scottish Basketball Championship Division 2, while Pleasance are down towards the bottom of the table.

20220410_125903.jpg

• 1 month later...

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted in here to say how much I love Steph Curry.  That guy is probably the most entertaining player in the NBA, and he’s currently giving the Mavericks a shellacking. 

Edited by Savage Henry

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted in here to say how much I love Steph Curry.  That guy is probably the most entertaining player in the NBA, and he’s currently giving the Mavericks a shellacking. 

Steph and Luka are the two most entertaining players in the game at the moment, IMO (and Giannis from just a morbid "how is he going to obliterate this guy in front of him this time" perspective), so this Series is a total win/win for me. Steph is in that Messi bracket of being not only absolutely elite at their sport, but also incredibly aesthetically pleasing to watch do it. A joy.

Kevon Looney and Andrew Wiggins have been excellent in the 3 games across this series so far (and the playoffs generally), which has been the difference between the two sides. Steph and Klay offensively are getting a lot of support from the "role players" like Wiggins, Looney, Poole, etc, whilst aside from Doncic, Brunson and (last night) Dinwiddie, the Mavs aren't performing. Some of the open 3s they missed last night were scandalous, with Reggie Bullock and Max Kleber being particularly hilariously bad (combining for a monster score of 0). Makes such a difference. 

Not a huge fan of either Boston or Miami in the Eastern Conference, so hope the Warriors (most likely) beat whoever comes through to the Finals. Mate is a big fan of the Celtics though, so kind of hoping it's Miami

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

Steph and Luka are the two most entertaining players in the game at the moment, IMO (and Giannis from just a morbid "how is he going to obliterate this guy in front of him this time" perspective), so this Series is a total win/win for me. Steph is in that Messi bracket of being not only absolutely elite at their sport, but also incredibly aesthetically pleasing to watch do it. A joy.

Kevon Looney and Andrew Wiggins have been excellent in the 3 games across this series so far (and the playoffs generally), which has been the difference between the two sides. Steph and Klay offensively are getting a lot of support from the "role players" like Wiggins, Looney, Poole, etc, whilst aside from Doncic, Brunson and (last night) Dinwiddie, the Mavs aren't performing. Some of the open 3s they missed last night were scandalous, with Reggie Bullock and Max Kleber being particularly hilariously bad (combining for a monster score of 0). Makes such a difference. 

Not a huge fan of either Boston or Miami in the Eastern Conference, so hope the Warriors (most likely) beat whoever comes through to the Finals. Mate is a big fan of the Celtics though, so kind of hoping it's Miami

Wiggins is an interesting case; quite a few folk were writing him off as a bust when the Warriors got him, and I seem to recall even Kerr expressing a few doubts about the deal, but he seems be on quite the redemptive arc.  

Edited by Savage Henry

On 23/05/2022 at 14:31, Savage Henry said:

Wiggins is an interesting case; quite a few folk were writing him off as a bust when the Warriors got him, and I seem to recall even Kerr expressing a few doubts about the deal, but he seems be on quite the redemptive arc.  

Think Wiggins is benefiting from not being the first round draft pick with all the expectation surrounding that. At Warriors he is just part of the team and with less pressure is developing into a good player. 

Warriors close out series 4-1 pretty comfortably and have now made 6 of last 8 NBA finals. 

On 23/05/2022 at 13:24, J_Stewart said:

I'm a big Gianniss fan, just a beast would have like Bucks to go through but I'm warming to Celtics and Jayson Tatum in particular. Would rather they go through than Miami 

I'm a big Gianniss fan, just a beast would have like Bucks to go through but I'm warming to Celtics and Jayson Tatum in particular. Would rather they go through than Miami 
Going to game 7 in Miami.

On 28/05/2022 at 17:55, kiddy said:
On 27/05/2022 at 10:03, Squalor Vic said:

Going to game 7 in Miami.

Didn't think Celtics would win in Miami. Would like to see them do it now tbh