Queen's Park 2017/18

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:04, an86 said:

“Only a few.” I concede he splits opinion, but I don’t get the sense that there’s a great majority on either side of the debate.

Didn't realise this thread was still going? I too I'm very concerned by Gus's behaviour regarding our own players, he has a lot of good points but this is a major issue - needs to be addressed for next season.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, PASSANDMOVE said:

Didn't realise this thread was still going? I too I'm very concerned by Gus's behaviour regarding our own players, he has a lot of good points but this is a major issue - needs to be addressed for next season.

We were promoted because we were good enough to go up. We had our best finish in a generation because we squeezed just about the maximum out of what we had that season. The style of management, without doubt, worked during those seasons. We wouldn’t have achieved what we did, otherwise.

There’s been no change in the style that did help deliver success, so I’m sceptical as to the negative effect it actually had. In my view, we were relegated because we weren’t good enough over the season. We lost key players and couldn’t replace then with players of a League One standard. That’s why we’re playing in League Two next season.

For me, the minimum requirement of a Queen’s Park manager is to put a competitive team on the park. Despite the end result, we were largely competitive in League One. The only time we’ve ever been truly uncompetitive in my lifetime was 2013/14, which was frankly embarrassing.

The game changes in League Two. Realistically or not, I’d say a lot of fans will be expecting a decent tilt at the top four in 2018/19, even with the huge turnaround. Gus is going to need a summer like 2014 again if that’s going to happen. His record of recruitment at League Two level, backed up by his results are what makes keeping him on an absolute no-brainer for me. Frankly, I don’t really care if he ruffles a few feathers while doing what he does. 

2 hours ago, an86 said:

We were promoted because we were good enough to go up. We had our best finish in a generation because we squeezed just about the maximum out of what we had that season. The style of management, without doubt, worked during those seasons. We wouldn’t have achieved what we did, otherwise.

There’s been no change in the style that did help deliver success, so I’m sceptical as to the negative effect it actually had. In my view, we were relegated because we weren’t good enough over the season. We lost key players and couldn’t replace then with players of a League One standard. That’s why we’re playing in League Two next season.

For me, the minimum requirement of a Queen’s Park manager is to put a competitive team on the park. Despite the end result, we were largely competitive in League One. The only time we’ve ever been truly uncompetitive in my lifetime was 2013/14, which was frankly embarrassing.

The game changes in League Two. Realistically or not, I’d say a lot of fans will be expecting a decent tilt at the top four in 2018/19, even with the huge turnaround. Gus is going to need a summer like 2014 again if that’s going to happen. His record of recruitment at League Two level, backed up by his results are what makes keeping him on an absolute no-brainer for me. Frankly, I don’t really care if he ruffles a few feathers while doing what he does. 

Oh Dear!

If you are so concerned with the goings on of the AGM, why don’t you become a member and attend said AGM
Hi guy's, I'm a relatively new supporter of the Spiders, and this is my first post on the P&B forum (please be gentle), although I've been following the QP threads here for about a year now. Since coming along to the games I've been confused by the concept of club 'members'. I've never heard of this with any other club, and assume its something to do with our amateur status. In the past I've looked on the club website/Facebook etc. to find out more, but while 'members' are often mentioned, there is no information on what the criteria is to become a member, or how one goes about applying. I asked some long term supporters and they were under the impression that you had to have a formal connection with the club in order to be a member (e.g. former player/ staff etc.) So can anyone enlighten me? Can anyone be a 'member'? How do you become a 'member'? Is it as simple as pay a membership fee, or is there more to it? And what exactly can/do member's do? Sorry if this seems like a daft question, but I genuinely have no idea what 'membership' of a football club means.

Sorry did not realize you had to be a member to have concerns about our club .

Well it would help if more people were members, membership is falling, granted the club don’t do all it can to attract people to become members but there clearly is a lack of engagement amongst a lot of the support.

10 hours ago, an86 said:

Your deluded - iv'e been a supporter for over 50 years and NO manager has been bigger than the club.

10 minutes ago, PASSANDMOVE said:

Your deluded - iv'e been a supporter for over 50 years and NO manager has been bigger than the club.

Don’t think anybody has suggested that. The reason being that it’d be a very silly thing to suggest.

13 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:
22 hours ago, NathanQP said:

If you are so concerned with the goings on of the AGM, why don’t you become a member and attend said AGM

Hi guy's, I'm a relatively new supporter of the Spiders, and this is my first post on the P&B forum (please be gentle), although I've been following the QP threads here for about a year now. Since coming along to the games I've been confused by the concept of club 'members'. I've never heard of this with any other club, and assume its something to do with our amateur status. In the past I've looked on the club website/Facebook etc. to find out more, but while 'members' are often mentioned, there is no information on what the criteria is to become a member, or how one goes about applying. I asked some long term supporters and they were under the impression that you had to have a formal connection with the club in order to be a member (e.g. former player/ staff etc.) So can anyone enlighten me? Can anyone be a 'member'? How do you become a 'member'? Is it as simple as pay a membership fee, or is there more to it? And what exactly can/do member's do? Sorry if this seems like a daft question, but I genuinely have no idea what 'membership' of a football club means.

All you need to do is contact the club for an application form for membership, then get two current members to sign the form -  one proposing you and the other to second you.  Always plenty of members ready and willing to do this for you. Full membership is what you want, not associate membership. It costs a bit more than a season ticket but it gets you into all the home games no matter the competition, and it also gives you a say on how the club is run, for example you get to vote at EGMs and AGMs on the important issues. You can also stand for committee if you want. 

The full members are basically the equivalent of "shareholders". We own the club and also elect the committee from the membership. No formal connection required, just a genuine love and enthusiasm for the club. Current committee is made up of ex players and supporters ( the guy that runs our away bus just got on the committee the other night)

18 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

So can anyone enlighten me? Can anyone be a 'member'? 

4 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

The full members are basically the equivalent of "shareholders". We own the club and also elect the committee from the membership. No formal connection required, just a genuine love and enthusiasm for the club. 

And bowler hats are strictly optional nowadays. Need to attract more young chaps like yourself Ben Reilly.

19 hours ago, NathanQP said:

Bit of a more fun discussion, are we getting new strips next season as we will be reverting back to the black and white hoops?

Reverting back to the hoops as the home strip but not getting new kit. The dark blue and red to be used as the change strips 

Thank to all the guys that responded to my questions about membership. I'll give it some thought as I'd like to get involved, but like so many things, it may come down to whether I can afford it (or can convince the wife that I can afford it). It's a shame that the club don't do more to promote membership though. As I mentioned, there's no info on the website/Facebook etc. and even some long term supporters I know didn't really know much about it. I'm assuming it's a reasonable source of income for the club, so it seems strange that they don't do more to encourage new members to join.

46 minutes ago, ThePoohBear said:

We have signed luke Donnelly. What do you boys make of him. Will he be any good?

Enigmatic. I liked him. Good touch, decent finisher, good passer. Will take stick for being a big guy who isn’t interested in the physical battle. That’s just not his game. He’s a proper player, but just needs to do it consistently.

Archived