Queen's Park 2017/18

Whether or not you appreciate Gus’s style of management, from what I can see and hear, it hasn’t changed since 2014. There is no definitive management style that is best - and Gus’s style worked very well up to this season.

Even this season I think the problem was that the players, as a whole, weren’t good enough for League One. Granted Gus has to take some responsibility for that ( the three guys he got from his local junior team were not up to it) but it is an extremely difficult task to recruit guys from the juniors for League One. Especially if you’re not paying them.

Of the players that Gus has not deemed good enough - how many of them have come back to haunt us or do well for other senior clubs? And I’m not talking about players that were on loan or left us for money/career progression. That has certainly happened in the past - Ross Dunlop and Martin Hardie are obvious examples.

By the looks of things Gus will be starting more or less from scratch next season. Might not be a bad thing - he did it successfully in 2014-15. And to all those who want him to go - be careful what you wish for.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very disappointed that Mcvey has left and in my opinion he was very underated. He worked hard to get into the team and when he played regularly, he was one of our most consistant players. He chased the ball, made timely tackles and made good passes. When we were chasing the game, he would often be taken off for a more attack minded player. 

2 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

I assume he has offers elsewhere? He must have made more starts this season than any other season he has been here so he can't say he hasn't had chances.

Gus said bad words to him. That’s probably why he’s leaving :bairn

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:35, shawfield shed boy said:
On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:48, Mick1867 said:
Mind that time Clyde signed that waster Darren Miller from us and you were getting all excited proclaiming " it would be the first of many coming from Queen's Park as I hear it's an unhappy dressing room" ? How did that turn out for you? emoji38.png 

U still got relegated ....

Think you're getting your seasons mixed up champ. We stayed up comfortably the season you signed Miller on loan from us.

My opinion of Gus has never changed. He is an old school manager who has never moved with the times. Screaming and shouting at players is a thing of the past. Hence why I believe a lot more will go on top if the players confirmed already. I feel for McVey he is a far better player than fotheringham but he seems to be Gus's favourite and always plays when fit. Waiting to hear if any of the defenders are leaving as they were the reason we got relegated. Nimmo, McLachlan, Foy, Cummins, Millen, Burns, Gibson. Young Magee was not ready to play first team football but Gus insisted on playing him against the best forwards in League 1 then pulling him off at half time in almost every game. He destroyed his confidence. Also heard a story about him screaming in a young players face after a game. We always give a couple of younger players a chance when in league 2. I feel we need some legs in our team and it needs freshened up. Why not give some a chance his record for playing and developing youngsters is abysmal.  I agree its a risk to replace Gus but I think the reason we will lose lots of players this summer is because of him. I believe this is a huge rebuilding job for Gus this summer and believe we will need at least 10 new players to cover for all our players leaving. With his previous recruitment for juniors being appalling it worries me. We have to hope his relationship with senior clubs allows us to get a couple of gems like Keena and Zanatta over the last few years. But it worries me considerably. While we don't know exactly who is staying thus is also rumour etc. Hearing a possibility if Jambo coming back. 

50 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

My opinion of Gus has never changed. He is an old school manager who has never moved with the times. Screaming and shouting at players is a thing of the past. Hence why I believe a lot more will go on top if the players confirmed already. I feel for McVey he is a far better player than fotheringham but he seems to be Gus's favourite and always plays when fit. Waiting to hear if any of the defenders are leaving as they were the reason we got relegated. Nimmo, McLachlan, Foy, Cummins, Millen, Burns, Gibson. Young Magee was not ready to play first team football but Gus insisted on playing him against the best forwards in League 1 then pulling him off at half time in almost every game. He destroyed his confidence. Also heard a story about him screaming in a young players face after a game. We always give a couple of younger players a chance when in league 2. I feel we need some legs in our team and it needs freshened up. Why not give some a chance his record for playing and developing youngsters is abysmal.  I agree its a risk to replace Gus but I think the reason we will lose lots of players this summer is because of him. I believe this is a huge rebuilding job for Gus this summer and believe we will need at least 10 new players to cover for all our players leaving. With his previous recruitment for juniors being appalling it worries me. We have to hope his relationship with senior clubs allows us to get a couple of gems like Keena and Zanatta over the last few years. But it worries me considerably. While we don't know exactly who is staying thus is also rumour etc. Hearing a possibility if Jambo coming back. 

That's remarkable, most other players just eat oranges.

With his previous recruitment for juniors being appalling it worries me.

Whit? The guy who brought Berry, Woods, Wharton and McKernon to the club from the juniors ? Plus a few others who did a decent enough job.
I know you have an agenda against Gus but at least stick to the facts.

7 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

Whit? The guy who brought Berry, Woods, Wharton and McKernon to the club from the juniors ? Plus a few others who did a decent enough job.
I know you have an agenda against Gus but at least stick to the facts.

I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant recent ( ie. this season ) rather than all previous but I'm not so sure to be honest as the rest of his post is all over the place   

4 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Is there not a small group of ex-players led by Eddie Hunter who do the scouting though? I think gerry Crawley is involved too.

Seen Eddie regularly at Cambuslang Rangers games, got his eye on one of attacking midfielders.

5 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Is there not a small group of ex-players led by Eddie Hunter who do the scouting though? I think gerry Crawley is involved too.

Need to up their game I think this pre-season. Of course Crawley will be the new President after Thursday night's AGM, where we might get some news about players....although official news about the stadium would be more preferable considering we've heard or seen nothing but media speculation for ages 

Archived