Queen's Park 2017/18

Donnelly leaving is a disappointment. Think he’d have been very good at League Two level. Very surprised at McVey leaving. Not my favourite player by any means, but useful to have around the squad.

I think Donnelly believes he’s capable of better. He was at an open trial at Bolton just before he came to QP. If that’s where he thinks he should be then awaydays at Berwick or Elgin won’t float his boat. Maybe realised Galty was a big loss for him personally.

I’m not surprised at people leaving -tbh I’m expecting an exodus - but surprised at how quickly. The fans will still be there though [emoji6]

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I think Donnelly believes he’s capable of better. He was at an open trial at Bolton just before he came to QP. If that’s where he thinks he should be then awaydays at Berwick or Elgin won’t float his boat. Maybe realised Galty was a big loss for him personally.

I’m not surprised at people leaving -tbh I’m expecting an exodus - but surprised at how quickly. The fans will still be there though emoji6.png

He probably is, but he needs to show it consistently. Good luck to him anyway. Wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea with his languid style, but there’s a player in there.

Gus is going to have to have a 2014 summer. He’ll have been scouting the juniors and other avenues since last summer. It also requires the element of luck of several good players (a) being available (b) willing to play for nothing. Tough sell. Chasing targets around with a picture of Andy Robertson might be the ideal signing tactic.

Might sound ludicrous, but a Liverpool Champions League win would inevitably put QP’s name in the news in Scotland. No bad thing in terms of chasing young players or players fancying a crack at senior level.

10 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:
9 hours ago, Mick1867 said:
Mind that time Clyde signed that waster Darren Miller from us and you were getting all excited proclaiming " it would be the first of many coming from Queen's Park as I hear it's an unhappy dressing room" ? How did that turn out for you? emoji38.png 

U still got relegated ....

Relegated from a league you were last in when Gordon Brown was Prime Minister. Sit doon. 

16 hours ago, an86 said:

Donnelly leaving is a disappointment. Think he’d have been very good at League Two level. Very surprised at McVey leaving. Not my favourite player by any means, but useful to have around the squad.

I suspect the way he was treated by Gus is the reason for McVey going. Donnelly is a big disappointment. None of the other rumours are surprising or with exception of Galt, insurmountable.

I dont think its a case of him believing he is better, he came from Celtic who are full time ( obviously ) and has in the past been on the fringes of their first team he has also played first team preseason games  so he was close to being good enough for Celtic, so I think common sense for him to have ambitions of playing at a reasonable level whether that be remaining in League one, or whatever isnt unfair of him,  remember QP dont pay people its a hobby so we are not going to retain anyone with any real ability in all honesty.

I would also say Gus playing him out of position on his own up front, dropping him for weeks on end is also going to be part of the reason why he may not hang around, last five games of the season when played in his preferred position you see a bit more consistency from him, and the game against East Fife back in December where he grabbed a couple of goals, he also played in his preferred position. 

When people were on his case, he was playing up front with not a hope in hell of doing anything on his own, for me, it's a big loss and the manager could have utilised him a lot better. There were also times where Galt wasn't getting a game, Burns played at right back, Brady being subbed before halftime and a whole heap of other poor managerial decisions which will just irritate people more than anything, so he is doing exactly what you don't want from a manager building a team.

We need 4 or 5 players who are comfortable on the ball who can play a bit, not the 2 or 3 we had this season, Donnelly, Galt and Brady being those good on the ball with technical ability, others are scared on the ball, bit the ball into channels or consistently play balls up the centre-halves of the opposition, Gus will get the game banned playing shit like that.

I dont think its a case of him believing he is better, he came from Celtic who are full time ( obviously ) and has in the past been on the fringes of their first team he has also played first team preseason games  so he was close to being good enough for Celtic, so I think common sense for him to have ambitions of playing at a reasonable level whether that be remaining in League one, or whatever isnt unfair of him,  remember QP dont pay people its a hobby so we are not going to retain anyone with any real ability in all honesty.
I would also say Gus playing him out of position on his own up front, dropping him for weeks on end is also going to be part of the reason why he may not hang around, last five games of the season when played in his preferred position you see a bit more consistency from him, and the game against East Fife back in December where he grabbed a couple of goals, he also played in his preferred position. 
When people were on his case, he was playing up front with not a hope in hell of doing anything on his own, for me, it's a big loss and the manager could have utilised him a lot better. There were also times where Galt wasn't getting a game, Burns played at right back, Brady being subbed before halftime and a whole heap of other poor managerial decisions which will just irritate people more than anything, so he is doing exactly what you don't want from a manager building a team.
We need 4 or 5 players who are comfortable on the ball who can play a bit, not the 2 or 3 we had this season, Donnelly, Galt and Brady being those good on the ball with technical ability, others are scared on the ball, bit the ball into channels or consistently play balls up the centre-halves of the opposition, Gus will get the game banned playing shit like that.

I used the word 'capable' of doing better, wasn't implying any arrogance on his part, and your first para explained it perfectly.

The same scenario happened last time around; Stark made the regulars believe they could push on with QP and then when he left and it went south they moved elsewhere. Quite rightly so. And it'll always be that way as long as QP are amateur. Even PT teams will be subject to wealthier teams preying on their best, Alan Trouten for example.

I haven't seen any coach in the last 2 years who is so critical of his players during a game. The goal at Forfar recently where White got all the blame came less than 2 minutes after Gus had roared the face of him for passing to Millen rather than hoofing it up the park. White didn't touch the ball again until the goal incident when he had options both left and right to pass the ball but instead tried to control it and play it long. It's impossible to believe his indecision wasn't a consequence of what had happened just before. Just one of many where players have switched off after a bollocking.

Gus not getting the best out of players is largely mythical. He took a squad made up of the worst QP squad in living memory and guys from the juniors to 2nd place in the league, followed by promotion with a couple more junior additions, followed by finishing 6th in League One, our highest position in a generation. Anyone who can’t recognise that as punching above our weight is living in fantasy land.

Naturally, when we do punch above our weight, we’ll eventually run out of steam. We’re now back at what is our normal level, where we’ve spent much of the modern era. I think it’s going to take an utterly chronic season in League Two for some fans to appreciate just how good we’ve had it in recent seasons. 

The manager deserves more respect than he gets for what he’s achieved, but I suspect that recognition won’t come for some until he’s gone. You could almost sense people praying for the Galt situation to blow up so that they could pile in. It’s pathetic.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I used the word 'capable' of doing better, wasn't implying any arrogance on his part, and your first para explained it perfectly.

The same scenario happened last time around; Stark made the regulars believe they could push on with QP and then when he left and it went south they moved elsewhere. Quite rightly so. And it'll always be that way as long as QP are amateur. Even PT teams will be subject to wealthier teams preying on their best, Alan Trouten for example.

I haven't seen any coach in the last 2 years who is so critical of his players during a game. The goal at Forfar recently where White got all the blame came less than 2 minutes after Gus had roared the face of him for passing to Millen rather than hoofing it up the park. White didn't touch the ball again until the goal incident when he had options both left and right to pass the ball but instead tried to control it and play it long. It's impossible to believe his indecision wasn't a consequence of what had happened just before. Just one of many where players have switched off after a bollocking.

Agree with all of this here, my biggest thing is the way you hear him shout and scream at people, its not the 80's anymore, some people need an arm round there shoulder.  If i was blessed with enough talent to be able to play, i certainly wouldn't be working my bolloks off when some nutjob at the side is slaughtering me at every attempt. Seems a nice guy and all of that, but man management is not there for me, he would need to have a good cop as an assistant, and from what I hear Balmer isn't much better. 

I get being Amateur will always hold us back, people will go to a Forfar for £100 quid a week so he does have his hands tied, but that doesnt mean you cant motivate players and try and get the best out of them, i reckon we had not a bad squad this season and should have done a little better.

Agree with all of this here, my biggest thing is the way you hear him shout and scream at people, its not the 80's anymore, some people need an arm round there shoulder.  If i was blessed with enough talent to be able to play, i certainly wouldn't be working my bolloks off when some nutjob at the side is slaughtering me at every attempt. Seems a nice guy and all of that, but man management is not there for me, he would need to have a good cop as an assistant, and from what I hear Balmer isn't much better. 
I get being Amateur will always hold us back, people will go to a Forfar for £100 quid a week so he does have his hands tied, but that doesnt mean you cant motivate players and try and get the best out of them, i reckon we had not a bad squad this season and should have done a little better.

Your cup is half full.

8 hours ago, an86 said:

Gus not getting the best out of players is largely mythical. He took a squad made up of the worst QP squad in living memory and guys from the juniors to 2nd place in the league, followed by promotion with a couple more junior additions, followed by finishing 6th in League One, our highest position in a generation. Anyone who can’t recognise that as punching above our weight is living in fantasy land.

Naturally, when we do punch above our weight, we’ll eventually run out of steam. We’re now back at what is our normal level, where we’ve spent much of the modern era. I think it’s going to take an utterly chronic season in League Two for some fans to appreciate just how good we’ve had it in recent seasons. 

The manager deserves more respect than he gets for what he’s achieved, but I suspect that recognition won’t come for some until he’s gone. You could almost sense people praying for the Galt situation to blow up so that they could pile in. It’s pathetic.

Nobody can argue with your reprise of the PAST. To rest on laurels is dangerous and even the top managers have a sell by date. I believe Gus has reached his.

You have witnessed the constant changing of selection at the beginning of the season giving young new signings no chance to settle in and get accustomed to League One. You have witnessed the playing of good key players so far out of position it brought unfair criticism on them. You have seen and heard Gus gesticulating like a dervish and shouting at his players during a game. Do you really believe that is the best way to motivate anybody? I am not sure that behaviour commands respect. Those are all facts. They are NOW. His team formations and decision making for substitutions are subjective and open to argument. If those observations are pathetic then I have been watching different games from you this season.

I believe, and have said before, that Gus is the single largest reason for our relegation this season. I do not believe we were the worst team in the league, or had the worst group of players at our disposal. It is time for a modern thinking person to be offered the job. Sadly, I do not believe this will happen.

49 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Nobody can argue with your reprise of the PAST. To rest on laurels is dangerous and even the top managers have a sell by date. I believe Gus has reached his.

You have witnessed the constant changing of selection at the beginning of the season giving young new signings no chance to settle in and get accustomed to League One. You have witnessed the playing of good key players so far out of position it brought unfair criticism on them. You have seen and heard Gus gesticulating like a dervish and shouting at his players during a game. Do you really believe that is the best way to motivate anybody? I am not sure that behaviour commands respect. Those are all facts. They are NOW. His team formations and decision making for substitutions are subjective and open to argument. If those observations are pathetic then I have been watching different games from you this season.

I believe, and have said before, that Gus is the single largest reason for our relegation this season. I do not believe we were the worst team in the league, or had the worst group of players at our disposal. It is time for a modern thinking person to be offered the job. Sadly, I do not believe this will happen.

Completely disagree. If you don’t look at a broader picture, you end up with kneejerk reactions. That’s what this is. You’re also correct to say that we weren’t the worst team in the league, we finished ninth. Albion Rovers were the worst team. The reason we were relegated is because we weren’t good enough over the season. Players, management, coaching staff all have to take an element of responsibilty. Circumstance, however, is also a factor. Even as a group of supporters, some could ask themselves if we could have done better? The players receive much better backing on the road and the results were better. A section of our home support seem to enjoy nothing better than moaning under any circumstance, even when winning.

Back to the manager. Let’s be honest, a section of the support haven’t liked him from early on. This has been his first poor season since he joined in 2014. He was even getting pelters from some quarters during the promotion season and, even more ridiculously, last season. I’m inclined not to take the opinions of people who did that very seriously, although they’re entitled to them. 

There’s a trapdoor now and we’re not immune from it. Fair enough if folk want to go with the untriec at this stage, but I’d rather go with track record in League Two. I have absolutely no idea if we’ll have a good, bad, or indifferent season next season. It’ll be tough. What I do know is that there’s a queue of folk lining up to say “I told you so!” So, next season is a win-win for them.

Bottom line is that we have just experienced a horrible season with any highlights countable on one hand. Like it or not like a business with shareholders if that business is underperforming then changes must be made and in the business of football the buck usually stops with the manager. 

4 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Bottom line is that we have just experienced a horrible season with any highlights countable on one hand. Like it or not like a business with shareholders if that business is underperforming then changes must be made and in the business of football the buck usually stops with the manager. 

One of the silliest things about modern football. One bad season = bad manager = sacked. Some Thistle fans moaning about Alan Archibald, who got them promoted and into then into the top six. Poor season this season suddenly means he’s a bad manager and it’s all his fault. It’s reactionary bollocks imo. 

20 hours ago, an86 said:

You could almost sense people praying for the Galt situation to blow up so that they could pile in. It’s pathetic.

Galt was always going to go. It's squad players like McVey and Docherty that troubles me. Docherty in particualr is a crafty player but invariably gets a late-on blocking role. Like Chris Duggan, he'll do better elsewhere.

11 hours ago, an86 said:

What I do know is that there’s a queue of folk lining up to say “I told you so!” So, next season is a win-win for them.

Deary me. Get those blinkers in the bin, I'm actually starting to worry about you.

10 hours ago, an86 said:

It’s reactionary bollocks imo. 

Despite your repeated revisionism...Gus won us the league etc even though you've now accepted (as I highlighted a year ago) that McGeever, McKernon and Muir were all pivotal (and let's not foregt Vinnie Berry in the promotion season) you're still trying to deflect. It's to the credit of all you call "The Detractors" that they've made measured pragmatic observations, largely based on football specifics, over an extended period. What's been very clear this year is that as Gus was evidently struggling to get this group playing the way he dreamed of his behaviour has become more erratic and out of control. So it's not anywhere reactionary, in fact it's been extended. And lsitening around the grounds for at least six months, there are many more concerned QP fans woutwith the small world that is PnB.

P.S. - could you let The Spider know that the opening part of his 10,000 word indulgence repatriating himself with his Clyde groupies isn't quite with the beat. 

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Galt was always going to go. It's squad players like McVey and Docherty that troubles me. Docherty in particualr is a crafty player but invariably gets a late-on blocking role. Like Chris Duggan, he'll do better elsewhere.

Deary me. Get those blinkers in the bin, I'm actually starting to worry about you.

Despite your repeated revisionism...Gus won us the league etc even though you've now accepted (as I highlighted a year ago) that McGeever, McKernon and Muir were all pivotal (and let's not foregt Vinnie Berry in the promotion season) you're still trying to deflect. It's to the credit of all you call "The Detractors" that they've made measured pragmatic observations, largely based on football specifics, over an extended period. What's been very clear this year is that as Gus was evidently struggling to get this group playing the way he dreamed of his behaviour has become more erratic and out of control. So it's not anywhere reactionary, in fact it's been extended. And lsitening around the grounds for at least six months, there are many more concerned QP fans woutwith the small world that is PnB.

P.S. - could you let The Spider know that the opening part of his 10,000 word indulgence repatriating himself with his Clyde groupies isn't quite with the beat. 

We’ll have to disagree on Docherty. For me, he was largely anonymous and one of the players I would have let go. I’m not exactly sure what his attributes were. McVey, although useful to have around to plug gaps, has limited talent as well.

You’ve chosen to completely make up a quote, which pretty much highlights that any comments I’ve made on the managers record are uncomfortable facts for you and others, rather than “revisionism.” The players, of course, have to do a job on the park, but the laughable spectacle of you insinuating that any success has been in spite of MacPherson is immediately contradicted by the fact that all of the players you mention were brought to the club by him.

I suspect we’re listening to different people on the Gus front. Very few, if any, of the people I sit with at games, on the bus etc. want the manager out, although I accept from on here and at the games that some folk aren’t happy. I never take Pie and Bovril as a basis for opinion across any support, but the most vocal criticism I’ve seen/heard of the manager has been on here.

As for The Spider, I suggest you use the PM function rather than getting me to pass on your messages to someone I don’t know.

Archived