Queen's Park 2017/18

What are we thinking do we think Gus will try and reinvigorate the squad. I personally think he will stay on. I don't think he will go with the same squad it needs freshened up. I would love for him to go for more pace in our team to help support Galty. He's has had a good number of these players for a good few years. I think he will release or players will want a change of scenery. Leitch has been released by St Mirren but he will probably end up at Peterhead with his brother.

I would let Docherty, Fotheringham, Millen, Mortimer, Orr, McPherson, Summers.

All the loan boys will go back to there parent clubs.

I believe we need more legs in our midfield we struggle against team's with legs their team. 

League 2 allows us to blood some youngsters if good enough, try and get a couple of promising players from Hearts as we seem to have a good relationship with them. 

Gus will try and source junior players who are looking to try senior football, let's hope they are better than last years singings. 

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Apparently something in the Daily Record today ‘Queen’s Park could axe Player of the Year David Galt after the player ran a marathon just days before the crucial play off with Stenhousemuir’
Don’t believe everything you read in the papers etc but if any substance to it then backs up what’s been said above about Gus and his attitude towards part time players...

If Gus had been that angry with him, there’s not the remotest chance he’d have played any part in either playoff game. It was also clear from POTY awards how highly he thinks of him. We’re also not in any position to axe anyone given the fact that he’s free to talk to other teams. There will be interest in him, there’s zero doubt about that.

As a marathon runner I’ve got to say that’s a pretty silly thing to do.

I’m sure it seems that way to a seasoned runner. The timing was critical. The race was the day after the fixture card ended. From what I’ve learned about David Galt, the man, he’s one of lives givers. I’ve little doubt, although no fact, that he would have been running for charity or funding or some reason to make other humans better off. If that’s the case, and as a marathon runner you’ll know best, he would have committed to the event quite some time before the final game against Arbroath. None of us thought we were going to the play-offs a few weeks back.

So he makes a judgement guided by his humanity and the fact that we’ve been rooted to the bottom for most of the season. Fair enough. Given what Galt has done for QP anyone at the club accusing him of treachery or abandonment should be leaving with the door smacking their arse on the way out.

I sincerely hope this is gossip and/or journalistic tosh. Any truth at all in it and we can rip up the heritage, the history of how we took the game to the world and the club’s motto can go in the bin too.

I’m sure it seems that way to a seasoned runner. The timing was critical. The race was the day after the fixture card ended. From what I’ve learned about David Galt, the man, he’s one of lives givers. I’ve little doubt, although no fact, that he would have been running for charity or funding or some reason to make other humans better off. If that’s the case, and as a marathon runner you’ll know best, he would have committed to the event quite some time before the final game against Arbroath. None of us thought we were going to the play-offs a few weeks back.

So he makes a judgement guided by his humanity and the fact that we’ve been rooted to the bottom for most of the season. Fair enough. Given what Galt has done for QP anyone at the club accusing him of treachery or abandonment should be leaving with the door smacking their arse on the way out.

I sincerely hope this is gossip and/or journalistic tosh. Any truth at all in it and we can rip up the heritage, the history of how we took the game to the world and the club’s motto can go in the bin too.

He was running for charity and I can see the problem with the timing. It’ll be pretty ironic then if we (Arbroath) sign him having caused the problem with our inept display.

Who would we keep next season? For me:

White- Maybe, but obviously need another keeper in anyway. Preferably commanding.

Millen- Firstly, hope he’s ok. He was a shadow of the player we’ve seen. Played the latter part of the season like a guy who maybe already had something lined up. If I’m wrong about that, keep and hopefully rediscover form.

Burns- Keep

Summers- Borderline. Would certainly do as backup.

McLauchlan- Lot of lower league experience. Looked ok. Keep.

Green- Punt

Magee- Keep. Needs a solid defender to talk him through a game or a spell on loan in the Lowland League.

Cummins- Keep. Although, I think his goals painted a prettier picture than the reality of some of his defensive performances. 

Gibson- Made of glass, but an asset when fit. Keep.

Foy- Unlucky with injuries, so far. Keep.

Nimmo- Punt.

Brady- Not as good this season, but still one who’ll probably get offers. Keep, if he wants to stay.

Galt- Will definitely get offers. Keep, if he wants to stay. 

McVey- Unspectacular, but will do a job as a squad player. Keep.

Docherty- Punt

Forheringham- Probably more suited to the level below. Borderline.

Donnelly- Keep

Mortimer- Punt

MacPherson- Might do ok at a lower level. Might not. Borderline.

Orr- Punt

We badly need more dig in the side and some leaders on the park. McGeever and McKernon were really badly missed. Hopefully we can pick up some gems from the juniors.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Who would we keep next season? For me:

White- Maybe, but obviously need another keeper in anyway. Preferably commanding.

Millen- Firstly, hope he’s ok. He was a shadow of the player we’ve seen. Played the latter part of the season like a guy who maybe already had something lined up. If I’m wrong about that, keep and hopefully rediscover form.

Burns- Keep

Summers- Borderline. Would certainly do as backup.

McLauchlan- Lot of lower league experience. Looked ok. Keep.

Green- Punt

Magee- Keep. Needs a solid defender to talk him through a game or a spell on loan in the Lowland League.

Cummins- Keep. Although, I think his goals painted a prettier picture than the reality of some of his defensive performances. 

Gibson- Made of glass, but an asset when fit. Keep.

Foy- Unlucky with injuries, so far. Keep.

Nimmo- Punt.

Brady- Not as good this season, but still one who’ll probably get offers. Keep, if he wants to stay.

Galt- Will definitely get offers. Keep, if he wants to stay. 

McVey- Unspectacular, but will do a job as a squad player. Keep.

Docherty- Punt

Forheringham- Probably more suited to the level below. Borderline.

Donnelly- Keep

Mortimer- Punt

MacPherson- Might do ok at a lower level. Might not. Borderline.

Orr- Punt

We badly need more dig in the side and some leaders on the park. McGeever and McKernon were really badly missed. Hopefully we can pick up some gems from the juniors.

Agree with pretty much everything. Not sure I'd keep Ewan Macpherson but I'd pursue with Orr. He always showed something when he played. Surprised he's hardly been involved since playing well against East Fife last month. 

2 hours ago, stan3600 said:

He was running for charity and I can see the problem with the timing. It’ll be pretty ironic then if we (Arbroath) sign him having caused the problem with our inept display.

Yep. A mental health charity.  an86, you made a lot of Davy Weatherston's plight recently, what's your position on this one?

image.png.81d99c6e10f2245fe93235cddf24dad9.png

Yep. A mental health charity.  an86, you made a lot of Davy Weatherston's plight recently, what's your position on this one?

Not me mate. Don’t know who Davy W is. But I’ve every sympathy for Galt on this one. It was a tough call. But if I were in a relegation playoff I’d run another marathon later.

2 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It’s unfortunate that the marathon clashed with the games, particularly given the magnitude of them. I can see the frustration from the football side because when you sign up, you’re committing to be available for the full season. Obviously, work commitments etc. are an issue at our level and can’t be helped. He’s chosen to go and sign up for this through choice, though.

On a human level, of course what Galt is doing is a great thing for a fantastic cause and I can only commend him for it. If I’m the manager I’m 100% praising him, but asking him to be a wee bit more careful with his scheduling. Certainly wouldn’t be bollocking him for something as well meaning. 

The manager was joking about it at the POTY awards and it’s clear he admires Galt. If he’d been that angry, I highly doubt Galt would have featured in either game. The talk of being axed is nonsensical. His contract is essentially finished, so how can he be axed?

3 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

Any news about players moving on? 

Other than Galt being approached by Airdrie, Alloa, Arbroath and Stranraer, I’ve not heard anything. Would be surprised if he went to Arbroath or Stranraer given that he seems a busy man with his work and the travel involved.

I’d be surprised if we could hold onto him if two sides in the Central belt who’ll hope to challenge for League One promotion are in for him. Suspect he’ll want to play at as high a level as possible and we’ll be rebuilding for next season in League Two. Would be pleasantly surprised if he knocked back Airdrie or Alloa to stay.

6 hours ago, an86 said:

Other than Galt being approached by Airdrie, Alloa, Arbroath and Stranraer, I’ve not heard anything. Would be surprised if he went to Arbroath or Stranraer given that he seems a busy man with his work and the travel involved.

I’d be surprised if we could hold onto him if two sides in the Central belt who’ll hope to challenge for League One promotion are in for him. Suspect he’ll want to play at as high a level as possible and we’ll be rebuilding for next season in League Two. Would be pleasantly surprised if he knocked back Airdrie or Alloa to stay.

Would be sorry to see Galt go, but it is hard to see anyone else getting an offer. In truth, with the exception of Burns, McLaughlan, and Donnelly, I would encourage them to go.

Explains why he got hooked at half time at Ochilview and didn't start on Saturday. Surprised an issue is being made about it now when Davie had been mentioning it on Twitter for months. I think he was raising money for the Chris Mitchell charity so I can understand why he wanted to run.

37 minutes ago, houstonspider said:

Explains why he got hooked at half time at Ochilview and didn't start on Saturday. Surprised an issue is being made about it now when Davie had been mentioning it on Twitter for months. I think he was raising money for the Chris Mitchell charity so I can understand why he wanted to run.

The paper talk, which I will take with a large pinch of salt 100% of the time, is that it caused a bit of unrest with his teammates.

Archived