Queen's Park 2017/18

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bobthespider said:

Boring football this year and last . Pay my money to be entertained. We have an experienced manager who plays boring football either he changes his approach or it’s time for a change .

I don't agree with that at all. We played some nice stuff last season, which was our highest finish in a generation. 

According to the OS we've had 38 souls stripped for action this season. Staggering! Yes there was some issues with injury near the end but for most if the season the team was juggled weekly, in all departments, as Gus tried to find the magic formula. No doubt some players were below par but lack of confidence and fear of reprimand are limiters, not motivators. When key players like Bryan Wharton and Wullie Muir can end up on the naughty step it puts doubt into the minds of others about questioning the boss.

Gus has indeed a lot of experience, gained at higher level both as a player and coach. It makes me wonder then why in the course of a whole season he couldn't establish a regular starting line-up. His polished post-match interviews are very different from his in-game behaviour. His interviews follow a regular pattern; opening with a pragmatic statement but his subtle language invariably lays the blame at the feet of the players. I think he's incredibly frustrated that he's still not working with full-time players. He'd probably do better with a Championship team like Livi or Falkirk. Coaches that do well in the lower leagues like Dick Campbell or Jim Weir tend to have spent their careers at this level.

His post match interview, or post season as it turns out, sounds as though he's made his mind up (I said some time ago he'll decide and the committee have enough on their plate). If that's the case the acid test for me will be how many of our better players he can retain. Burns would be first in the door but players like Scouse, Brady, Galt, Donnelly, Gibson and Leitch will have drawn attention and might be tempted. I'm not anti-Gus I just don't think his management style is the best fit for my favourite football team. If all the key players stay that'll be evidence enough that the guys are with him and that's what counts. Critically, Gus needs to come to terms with the reality that if you're the boss at QP you have to accept that mistakes will happen and trying to enforce a system that your players aren't equipped for will end up in failure. Making the best of what you have is a great achievement, in any walk of life. That hasn't happened this season. If it had, Gus wouldn't start every interview with the word "frustration".

When I look at the squad, there's not many I'd actually get rid of.  Only about 5 at most. Priority has to be a goalkeeper, even on Saturday I thought White should of done much better for the first goal. Too many times this season we've conceded goals where I've been left thinking that Muir would of saved some of them. 

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

According to the OS we've had 38 souls stripped for action this season. Staggering! Yes there was some issues with injury near the end but for most if the season the team was juggled weekly, in all departments, as Gus tried to find the magic formula. No doubt some players were below par but lack of confidence and fear of reprimand are limiters, not motivators. When key players like Bryan Wharton and Wullie Muir can end up on the naughty step it puts doubt into the minds of others about questioning the boss.

Gus has indeed a lot of experience, gained at higher level both as a player and coach. It makes me wonder then why in the course of a whole season he couldn't establish a regular starting line-up. His polished post-match interviews are very different from his in-game behaviour. His interviews follow a regular pattern; opening with a pragmatic statement but his subtle language invariably lays the blame at the feet of the players. I think he's incredibly frustrated that he's still not working with full-time players. He'd probably do better with a Championship team like Livi or Falkirk. Coaches that do well in the lower leagues like Dick Campbell or Jim Weir tend to have spent their careers at this level.

His post match interview, or post season as it turns out, sounds as though he's made his mind up (I said some time ago he'll decide and the committee have enough on their plate). If that's the case the acid test for me will be how many of our better players he can retain. Burns would be first in the door but players like Scouse, Brady, Galt, Donnelly, Gibson and Leitch will have drawn attention and might be tempted. I'm not anti-Gus I just don't think his management style is the best fit for my favourite football team. If all the key players stay that'll be evidence enough that the guys are with him and that's what counts. Critically, Gus needs to come to terms with the reality that if you're the boss at QP you have to accept that mistakes will happen and trying to enforce a system that your players aren't equipped for will end up in failure. Making the best of what you have is a great achievement, in any walk of life. That hasn't happened this season. If it had, Gus wouldn't start every interview with the word "frustration".

Our season in a nutshell, I'm not totally anti Gus either but with working with part-time players maybe he's got to give them some slack. The players have played with a nervousness most of the season, scared to make a mistake, it says it all that we would keep almost or all our squad - they have shown in patches they have it but have underperformed. We were capable of at least being well above the "dirties" and Forfar.

An excellent synopsis of this 'frustrating' season byos.

It will indeed be interesting to see who Gus manages to retain.

As far as I am concerned the bust up with Willie Muir has cost us our 1st division status.

I met Muir's father in law a couple of weeks ago and he said that Wullie's wife was on at him to get paid for football. He took the chance to go when it came up. The guy said that Wullie just told the club he had to leave for money reasons and they let him go.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:
5 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

As far as I am concerned the bust up with Willie Muir has cost us our 1st division status.

I met Muir's father in law a couple of weeks ago and he said that Wullie's wife was on at him to get paid for football. He took the chance to go when it came up. The guy said that Wullie just told the club he had to leave for money reasons and they let him go.

I believe that to be 100% accurate.

A convenient story on Muir's departure trolled out, what do you expect to hear from Muir's father. It wouldn't be because he was pissed off with our Head Coach who refused to pick him even after a few matches(deservedly) on the bench. IMO we would have stayed in League one if he had been rightly re-instated. On his best form there was no comparison between him and Michael White, he should not have been allowed to leave during the season.

I think it was telling and spoke volumes about last summer's recruitment that generally very few ended up first choice picks. This summer's recruitment has got to be better and help us to make a good start to the campaign. Last year's League Cup gave cause for optimism but that quickly unravelled when the league got under way.

1 minute ago, houstonspider said:

I think it was telling and spoke volumes about last summer's recruitment that generally very few ended up first choice picks. This summer's recruitment has got to be better and help us to make a good start to the campaign. Last year's League Cup gave cause for optimism but that quickly unravelled when the league got under way.

I expect it will be. The jump from juniors, or guys lacking much league experience to League Two can be achieved in relatively quick time, although not immediate. League One is a different prospect. We’re shopping in the bargain basement and attempting to dine with the toffs of the lower league when it comes to going up a level.

11 hours ago, PASSANDMOVE said:

A convenient story on Muir's departure trolled out, what do you expect to hear from Muir's father. It wouldn't be because he was pissed off with our Head Coach who refused to pick him even after a few matches(deservedly) on the bench. IMO we would have stayed in League one if he had been rightly re-instated. On his best form there was no comparison between him and Michael White, he should not have been allowed to leave during the season.

If Muir was raging at Gus, why would his old man be involved in some sort of cover up to protect the manager, rather than call him out? That literally doesn’t make sense.

We’d have been relegated with any combination of players this season. Albion Rovers flung us around like a wet tracky when some of these guys who would supposedly have made a difference were on the park, and the scoreline flattered us that day as well.

22 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

As far as I am concerned  Willie Muir's departure  cost us our 1st division status.

Muir has been decidedly average at Airdrie. Been offered a new contract but I’m hoping is as back up.

21 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

A few Arbroath players started following David Galt on Twitter. Any good?

A class act. QP legend as far as I’m concerned. Would be a huge blow if we lost him.

A class act. QP legend as far as I’m concerned. Would be a huge blow if we lost him.

Apparently something in the Daily Record today ‘Queen’s Park could axe Player of the Year David Galt after the player ran a marathon just days before the crucial play off with Stenhousemuir’
Don’t believe everything you read in the papers etc but if any substance to it then backs up what’s been said above about Gus and his attitude towards part time players...

Apparently something in the Daily Record today ‘Queen’s Park could axe Player of the Year David Galt after the player ran a marathon just days before the crucial play off with Stenhousemuir’
Don’t believe everything you read in the papers etc but if any substance to it then backs up what’s been said above about Gus and his attitude towards part time players...

As a marathon runner I’ve got to say that’s a pretty silly thing to do.

Archived