Queen's Park 2017/18

then I look forward to endorsing your application for Committee in a couple of month's time

What a shit attitude, he’s not saying he could do a better job himself but he is saying that we need have proper negotiators installed to ensure we walk away with the best deal for the club

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

What a shit attitude, he’s not saying he could do a better job himself but he is saying that we need have proper negotiators installed to ensure we walk away with the best deal for the club

Easy tiger! AS said he wanted the committee to comprise an "experienced group that have a track record of successful negotiations at this level" so that was my (obviously over-subtle) way of asking him if he could do better. If it's not people coming on here having a go at our coach for struggling to maintain us at a level where we ought to be struggling, then it's others who are happy to criticise the committee for struggling to contain a situation that is not of their making.

Anyone who knows me will confirm that i'm usually at the back of the queue when it comes to praising our committee for the way that we generally conduct business at our Club (the shameful way that the last but one AGM was conducted will live long in my memory), but anyone who's read the the recent letter from the club and still think the current committee are under-performing need to get a grip on reality.

As you're first in line to defend AS Nathan, kindly tell me where within our Club you think we can find these experience people who have a track record of successful negotiations at this level? I'll save you the bother..........we don't have them, and in fact I think you would struggle to find any club outside the top six in the Premier League who do have an entire group of such people within their ranks. Instead we have people with a reasonable level of business acumen who are genuinely trying to do their best for our Club in very difficult circumstances, and who are going to have to rely on external legal and real estate advice in order to be able to fight our corner.

And as for your own description of "proper" negotiators whatever they are...........exactly whom did you have in mind, or are you just pissin' in the breeze too?

It doesn’t need to come from within the club, it’s clear that we need to look out with the club for negotiators. Just because I don’t know the person exactly to come in, I’m a 25 year social media manager, I’m hardly filled with contacts doesn’t mean we can’t ask if external help is being looked into. This is a big time for us and I feel everyone is allowed to come forward with their opinions on the matter, we all want the best for the club at the end of the day

Obviously everyone should be allowed their opinions, but equally everyone should also be free to query them too. It's always easy to sit on the sidelines and criticise - less so to do so constructively and propose a feasible solution. The club are already seeking the best legal and real estate advice that we can afford. I ask again, where are "the experienced group that have a track record of successful negotiations at this level" to be found as they're not on professional_negetiators.com, and where are the hundreds of thousands of pounds that it would cost for an team of them going to come from?

Right now what our club needs more than anything are proposals that are not just idealistic but affordable, practical and workable. I remain to be convinced that AS's original suggestion meets those criteria, but perhaps when the man himself rejoins this discussion we can hear his own thoughts instead of those of his spokesman?

Ok, but I still can't get my head round what it is you want that's realistically achievable. You want an  experienced group that have a track record of successful negotiations at this level - how do you propose we accomplish that?

In my simplistic line of thought that means either finding money we don't have to bring in a team of professionals to go head to head with the SFA on our behalf, or replace the majority of what you clearly infer to be an incapable committee. Thus far you you have completely avoided going into any detail about how you think we are going to go about this, which the cynic in me leads me to believe that you either haven't thought this through, or are simply giving vent to your frustrations about our impending predicament.

I am quite happy to consider that there's a better solution than having our existing committee take the best legal and real estate advice we can afford and then negotiate with the SFA on the strength of that, but thus far you haven't provided a single detail about what that might entail. Time to pee or get off the potty.

8 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Well my private discussion with The Spider was as constructive as you might image. I’m off - and will take it up with the Club directly. Ciao.

AS. You asked me for a private conversation so that you could elaborate on how you might achieve your stated goal of getting an experienced group in place but never ended up doing so. You explained your viewpoint of the current situation, and I confidentially gave you mine in far greater detail of events behind the scenes. It's clear that our impressions of where the Club currently sit are different, as our preferred means to progress with the SFA, so that's the point where adults usually agree to disagree. Instead I find this latest post of yours which suggests you've taken a strop because you've failed to convert me to your viewpoint, but worse still are doing under a thinly disguised veil that I'm to blame for that. WTF?

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 22:54, The Spider said:

(the shameful way that the last but one AGM was conducted will live long in my memory),

It will indeed. The two candidates who stood to be President back then both sent letters to members to explain their motives for standing and why we should vote for them. If I remember correctly both mentioned the future negotiations with the SFA over the lease renewal. One was worried about what had been done about it and the other one assured us that everything was in hand. Think I might have kept those letters, will see if I can dig them out 

I'd forgotten that part Mick. The bit that still irks me are the speeches which (at that point) had nothing to do with the imminent elections, but which had been carefully scripted to subtly demean the capabilities of those who were hoping to replace the incumbents. Quite what that had to do with (in particular) the Treasurer's report still baffles me, and I well recall the numerous tuts of shocked disapproval from the body of the kirk at that point. It used to be the case that AGMs were respectful of the members' right to make their own judgement about the merits of individual candidates, but that evening quietly lurks in the Club's Hall Of Shame.

In the absence of viable alternatives (we can't afford to hire an entire team of negotiators, nor can we simply sack half the Committee), now that we are where we are then I maintain that there's little alternative other than to support the current Committee in their endeavours to rescue our future. However, as Mick has just highlighted, I'll agree that one aspect of Anonymous Spider's concerns is true insofar as the present Committee made a huge rod for their own backs at that 2016 AGM, and should they fail in their endeavours there will be plenty of members who will be quick to remind them of that debacle.

After some digging,  managed to find the letters.  Turns out it wasn't the current president who mentioned the lease in his letter, it was the current treasurer and previous president in a letter they jointly sent in response to Kenny Harvey who was standing

Harvey mentioned in his letter from April 16  " I would also start immediate discussions with the SFA regarding their intentions of staying at Hampden. I feel the committee missed a big chance to do so when the SFA asked to extend our agreement with them for six months, so that they can accommodate any matches that they will be given by UEFA in 2020. That in my opinion was when we as a club should have dug our heels in,  particularly when a few weeks after giving them a six month extension the papers were full of stories that they, the SFA, were considering moving away from Hampden. It is imperative that our club know as early as possible where our future lies. If the SFA want to stay we have to know now "

They responded " We would remind members that there are still more  than 4 years to go until the expiry of the initial 20 year lease of the National Stadium to the Scottish FA. Queen's Park Football Club will be prepared and ready to commence negotiations with the Scottish FA regarding the further 20 year option as soon as is deemed appropriate"     

Thought it was ridiculous that we offered that extension on a plate but wasn't aware it had been flagged up so early. Shockingly weak stance. So bad you might almost wonder if they wanted an out from all of this heritage burden. I'd liken it to a seventh generation family trying to keep the family pile in the Highlands from falling apart and decide that a nice five bedroom in Newton Mearns might be a better life.

I'm shocked that an Extraordinary AGM hasn't been called.  The "letter" didn't consider any members, well kent or otherwise, who could have something to offer.  And there was no call to arms either. Just a pitiful acceptance of the take-it-or-leave-it SFA stance. Buying in professionals will no doubt be unaffordable but between members and parents of the youth set-up players I'd wager there's a talent pool that could be dipped into, if given the leadership.

It's imperative that the big ground stays active if we are to maintain Lesser. Pretty certain any buyer of the land wouldn't want a fitba pitch in the middle of dandy new housing  estate (actually, apartments would be the only money maker on that scale). Call the SFA/SPFL all the names you want but they've done their sums whilst our lot have been sitting in prayer and reminding Scottish football how they should all be thankful for having the jolly old Queen's. So be it. If we lose the big ground I won't shed a tear but I've little confidence in the blazers doing a good deal to secure our future. Only sharks can swim with sharks.

And my forecast of the day is this; if we did tumble into the Lowland I'd put a year's wages down that the SPFL would create a new rule, in our absence, that only clubs offering professional contracts could play in the top 4 leagues. 

Whatever your opinion of them, anyone thinking that the QP Committee haven't been working their balls off to get the best deal for the Club are talking pish.  The shortfall in funding 20 years ago shafted us good and proper, putting us in a no-win position from then until now.  We're playing 3 card brag with two cards.

Corrected for howler of a typo!

12 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Whatever your opinion of them, anyone thinking that the QP Committee having haven't been working their balls off to get the best deal for the Club are talking pish.  The shortfall in funding 20 years ago shafted us good and proper, putting us in a no-win position from then until now.  We're playing 3 card brag with two cards.

this..............(subject to the typo correction above!!!!!)

55 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Some sunshine in anotherwise dreich spell for the club...

image.png.1ec559a9e468786481a40045dddbdad5.png

Cammy Foy back playing in the last couple and Ewan MacPherson on the bench, tonight. 

Archived