20 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The Doig deal is sensational business from Hibs for a very ordinary footballer.  Suspect he'll struggle over there but good luck to the boy

I think that young left sided fullbacks are - while not in short supply - probably more tricky to source.

Scotland has been blessed by having a few decent ones in the last few years which is good for the national team.

I assume the ordinary comment is fishing - although he didnt have a brilliant season he was playing alonside some utter pish.  For me, Doig is a good player, but I agree its a very good fee.

Stroke of luck we dont have to pay anything to his previous club....................

15 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think that young left sided fullbacks are - while not in short supply - probably more tricky to source.

Scotland has been blessed by having a few decent ones in the last few years which is good for the national team.

I assume the ordinary comment is fishing - although he didnt have a brilliant season he was playing alonside some utter pish.  For me, Doig is a good player, but I agree its a very good fee.

Stroke of luck we dont have to pay anything to his previous club....................

I don't see him as much as you, obviously, but he seems to be one of these guys that people say is good a lot, but doesn't often seem to do much good.

While I've mentioned before that I don't rate Porteous at all, I accept he's an improvement on anything else Hibs have and he makes them better. I've never seen anything at all from Doig and don't really see any downside to this for Hibs. Tremendous deal.

Good to see Scottish players going for more money in general. A rising of the tode at the moment in terms of getting more money in.

47 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I wouldn't say I'm fishing tbh.  I might be underrating him abit but i don't see any outstanding attributes in him.  Quite a strong ball carrier but not lightning, no much end product attacking and quite weak defending, particularly aerially.  

Not a bad player, just seems way overpriced.

I can see why someone would pay good money for say Ramsey despite his weaknesses cause of his attacking potential, i just think this will be the pinnacle of Doig's career.

I've never been blown away by Doig from what little I've seen of him (same with Hickey to be honest) but obviously there is something desirable about these players even if it isn't obvious to fans such as myself.

I've watched Doig over the last 3 years and he has done well despite the upheavals at HIbs. Physically he ticks all the boxes for a modern left sided defender and with better coaching (i.e. non SPFL) and direction he'll do very well.

I've little doubt that within the next 18 months he'll get a call from Steve Clark and he can sit on the subs bench with Hickey as neither are going in ahead of Robertson and Tierney any time soon.

6 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I've watched Doig over the last 3 years and he has done well despite the upheavals at HIbs. Physically he ticks all the boxes for a modern left sided defender and with better coaching (i.e. non SPFL) and direction he'll do very well.

I've little doubt that within the next 18 months he'll get a call from Steve Clark and he can sit on the subs bench with Hickey as neither are going in ahead of Robertson and Tierney any time soon.

Personally I would have Robertson as LWB and Tierney as LCB. They seem to compliment each other well in that set up. Then you have Hickey as the replacement for Robertson if he is injured, with a view to him replacing him longer term. Doig is nowhere near having proven himself to be in this sort of a category yet. I’d have Kingsley as the back up to Tierney.

21 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Personally I would have Robertson as LWB and Tierney as LCB. They seem to compliment each other well in that set up. Then you have Hickey as the replacement for Robertson if he is injured, with a view to him replacing him longer term. Doig is nowhere near having proven himself to be in this sort of a category yet. I’d have Kingsley as the back up to Tierney.

Hickey will have to show an awful lot more than he did in the Ukraine game where he looked like a scared wee boy and barely got out of his own half to nail a place in the National Team.  But he's young and he did ok in his other 3 games. I've no doubt he is a good player and a lot of that uncomfortable game was down to Clark's shit tactics on the day. As for Doig, he's younger than Hickey and will play next season in Serie A so give him time. But if he starts well he should be brought in for squad experience and he's been through the 21s already.

If Tierney gets injured or is unavailable the recent evidence suggests Clark will just throw on Jack Hendry, Scott McKenna or Grant Hanley (shudders). 

14 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Hickey will have to show an awful lot more than he did in the Ukraine game where he looked like a scared wee boy and barely got out of his own half to nail a place in the National Team.

Part of the problem young players have when going abroad is that public opinion at home can completely disregard months of consistently good performances in one of the best leagues in the world and focus on one game like this.

I don't think any sensible person who's seen Hickey play regularly doubts that he'll end up with a sackload of caps. He's eight years younger than Robertson, and Tierney is very injury-prone.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, Kyle Reese said:

🤣

Never let club bias get in the way of a discussion.

3 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

And yet, our shree million initial fee is more than Hearts got for Hickey in total including the crumbs they got as a sell-on fee.

Unlucks.

Image result for pieandbovril greggy

And yet, the financial difference between the Hickey and Doig deals still doesn't even touch the sides of the financial difference between finishing 3rd in 2021 and finishing 3rd in 2022.

Better to be lucky than good m8.

smugger.png

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

Hickey will have to show an awful lot more than he did in the Ukraine game where he looked like a scared wee boy and barely got out of his own half to nail a place in the National Team.  But he's young and he did ok in his other 3 games. I've no doubt he is a good player and a lot of that uncomfortable game was down to Clark's shit tactics on the day. As for Doig, he's younger than Hickey and will play next season in Serie A so give him time. But if he starts well he should be brought in for squad experience and he's been through the 21s already.

If Tierney gets injured or is unavailable the recent evidence suggests Clark will just throw on Jack Hendry, Scott McKenna or Grant Hanley (shudders). 

Doig is older than Hickey.  

14 minutes ago, DC92 said:

And yet, the financial difference between the Hickey and Doig deals still doesn't even touch the sides of the financial difference between finishing 3rd in 2021 and finishing 3rd in 2022.

Better to be lucky than good m8.

smugger.png

Who needs league place money (or the life savings of all your fans) when you've got a wealthy Peruvian flaunting the cash. 

smugger.png

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't think any sensible person who's seen Hickey play regularly doubts that he'll end up with a sackload of caps.

Thing is, I think you are reasonably sensible but I could say exactly the same thing about Doig.......because I HAVE seen him regularly, whereas you have not.

I have heard people say that Hickey or Ramsey are shite.

Hilarious stuff.

Simply because they don't play for our team or on the basis of one poor international performance.

imo they are both excellent and will go far.

Tinted specs need removing now and again.

Edited by Leith Green

32 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Thing is, I think you are reasonably sensible but I could say exactly the same thing about Doig.......because I HAVE seen him regularly, whereas you have not.

I have heard people say that Hickey or Ramsey are shite.

Hilarious stuff.

Simply because they don't play for our team or on the basis of one poor international performance.

imo they are both excellent and will go far.

Tinted specs need removing now and again.

I think there's a bit more to it than tinted specs.

Hickey has played almost fifty games in Serie A and has just been transferred to the premier league for about fourteen million quid.

Doig has played a couple of seasons' worth of games in Scotland and hasn't really set the world alight.

He may turn out to do very well, but I don't think he's earned the right to be spoken of as highly as Hickey at this stage.