23 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Already read it, not a bad article tbf..........but if we end up bottom 6 and out the cup to hearts, nice words will mean jack shit.

Yeah, thought it was a bit of a puff piece tbh but good to see another Scottish club getting that amount of focus.

He does talk a good game to be fair.

He spoke really well on the Long Bangers podcast (a shame about the insufferable presenters on it).

Feel him and Kensell talk a much better game than their predecessors but like @Leith Green says, lose the next two derbys and he’ll be on borrowed time, rightly or wrongly.

2 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

He does talk a good game to be fair.

He spoke really well on the Long Bangers podcast (a shame about the insufferable presenters on it).

Feel him and Kensell talk a much better game than their predecessors but like @Leith Green says, lose the next two derbys and he’ll be on borrowed time, rightly or wrongly.

Glass talked a good game. By all accounts, his training was superb. I know they stayed back for hours to do analytical work as you could see them leaving Cormack Park well in to the evening.

I just think him, like Maloney, have never had the experience of having to dig in during bad a run of results. When it happens at a big club and there's added pressure then you won't last long.

I do agree with @HibsFanthat if you're going to go on and do something remarkable then you probably need a rookie with fresh ideas. There's a far bigger chance of it going the other way though.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

A goal for every 8 consecutive passes in training seems right out the Stephen glass training manual. 

Yep - thats the one that stood out for me - young coaches and the obsession with posession at all costs.................ffs

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Glass talked a good game. By all accounts, his training was superb. I know they stayed back for hours to do analytical work as you could see them leaving Cormack Park well in to the evening.

I just think him, like Maloney, have never had the experience of having to dig in during bad a run of results. When it happens at a big club and there's added pressure then you won't last long.

I do agree with @HibsFanthat if you're going to go on and do something remarkable then you probably need a rookie with fresh ideas. There's a far bigger chance of it going the other way though.

It kind of makes sense, I bet the vast majority of players want to play attractive, possession based football if they can. And it wouldn’t be that difficult to create scenarios in training that are enjoyable and the players feel great about themselves after. 

What the likes of glass can’t seem to do is translate that into a match day week in, week out and overcoming the majority of sides in the league. Seems a simple point but ultimately you’re gubbed unless you find that answer. 

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Agree.

I think we are more fortunate than Aberdeen in the timing of the JR departure and SM appointment - we are in an ok position now, wont be relegated, and if he can ride out the cup derby / top 6 bottom 6 pending shitfests, then have the summer to get players / embed ideas, we "may" be ok next season.

Glass had no chance as soon as a bad run came in - Dave C couldnt afford for Aberdeen to be too close to the drop zone.

Back on Hibs, we also have to remember budgets - outside the obvious 2, Hearts and Aberdeen still spend far more than Hibs. It may be an unpalatable truth that somewhere near he bottom of the top 6 is our home...............

What will be an issue for us is ST sales - they will go off a cliff if we get pumped twice by hearts, and end up bottom 6.

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Agree.

I think we are more fortunate than Aberdeen in the timing of the JR departure and SM appointment - we are in an ok position now, wont be relegated, and if he can ride out the cup derby / top 6 bottom 6 pending shitfests, then have the summer to get players / embed ideas, we "may" be ok next season.

Glass had no chance as soon as a bad run came in - Dave C couldnt afford for Aberdeen to be too close to the drop zone.

Back on Hibs, we also have to remember budgets - outside the obvious 2, Hearts and Aberdeen still spend far more than Hibs. It may be an unpalatable truth that somewhere near he bottom of the top 6 is our home...............

What will be an issue for us is ST sales - they will go off a cliff if we get pumped twice by hearts, and end up bottom 6.

Hibs budget can’t be that much lower than ours. I agree probably a bit lower but since last season you appear to have done a fair bit of investment 

21 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yeah I don’t disagree with what you’re saying at all and as much I remain skeptical and unconvinced I’m not for one second suggest we get rid till he has a window or two.

However the nature of the beast with being a manager at the Edinburgh clubs though is a few really bad high profile results and you don’t recover, you’ll never really be won back round, it’s not a new phenomenon either.

Neilson was Scottish Cup, was chased out and even now with them 3rd in the league he’s still not accepted by some.

Fenlon was Malmo

Jack Ross was Hampden x3

Heckingbottom was 6-1 at Ibrox

Mixu was the 2-0 home loss to Hearts in the cup

Cathro was 3-1 (going on 8-1) loss at Easter Road in the cup.

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It kind of makes sense, I bet the vast majority of players want to play attractive, possession based football if they can. And it wouldn’t be that difficult to create scenarios in training that are enjoyable and the players feel great about themselves after. 

What the likes of glass can’t seem to do is translate that into a match day week in, week out and overcoming the majority of sides in the league. Seems a simple point but ultimately you’re gubbed unless you find that answer. 

Yeah. I think you really need to get that grounding somewhere, like Goodwin did at Alloa. 

Pep is obviously an anomaly. He's had World Class squads wherever he went. Arteta is coming good at Arsenal but it took a lot of time. There's not too many success stories of managers being thrown in at the top, on a relative level.

9 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Agree.

Will be interesting to see how ST sales go for both of us tbh.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Hibs budget can’t be that much lower than ours. I agree probably a bit lower but since last season you appear to have done a fair bit of investment 

Not that they were ever struggling, but Hibs probably cut their cloth a bit when they didn't sell either of Nisbet and Porteous back in January 2021.

There's the obvious point of whether what a coach wants is possible with the players he's got. Maloney does talk well, but when you hear him talking about what he wants his players to do with the ball, it doesn't match up with the standard and type of player Hibs have just now.

Of course, all things being equal, good football is the preference for most people, but a bit of pragmatism goes a long way in getting results and buying a coach time to work towards what he ultimately wants. You can be idealistic when you've got millions and millions of pounds to spend on exactly what you need.

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, for all that our budgets are decent by Scottish standards, we've all got to carry some absolute shite in the team.

57 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

There's the obvious point of whether what a coach wants is possible with the players he's got. Maloney does talk well, but when you hear him talking about what he wants his players to do with the ball, it doesn't match up with the standard and type of player Hibs have just now.

Of course, all things being equal, good football is the preference for most people, but a bit of pragmatism goes a long way in getting results and buying a coach time to work towards what he ultimately wants. You can be idealistic when you've got millions and millions of pounds to spend on exactly what you need.

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, for all that our budgets are decent by Scottish standards, we've all got to carry some absolute shite in the team.

Very good point.

Glass identified Ojo as someone who could do exactly as he wanted tactically. We played him wide left against Tavernier and he completely nullified him. the problem was when Ojo received the ball in the final third, he was out of his depth.

49 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Very good point.

Glass identified Ojo as someone who could do exactly as he wanted tactically. We played him wide left against Tavernier and he completely nullified him. the problem was when Ojo received the ball in the final third, he was out of his depth.

This was summed up in qarabag when one of the few times in the game ojo pressed their back line and won the ball off them in the final third, exactly the type of transition glass would be wanting to make inroads against a quality team. 

But then you realise it’s funso ojo on the ball out wide and you actually need to be able to execute some quality when you get there. 

4 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Yeah I don’t disagree with what you’re saying at all and as much I remain skeptical and unconvinced I’m not for one second suggest we get rid till he has a window or two.

However the nature of the beast with being a manager at the Edinburgh clubs though is a few really bad high profile results and you don’t recover, you’ll never really be won back round, it’s not a new phenomenon either.

Neilson was Scottish Cup, was chased out and even now with them 3rd in the league he’s still not accepted by some.

Fenlon was Malmo

Jack Ross was Hampden x3

Heckingbottom was 6-1 at Ibrox

Mixu was the 2-0 home loss to Hearts in the cup

Cathro was 3-1 (going on 8-1) loss at Easter Road in the cup.

Gary Naysmith was emptying some decent players, a bad injury list and a 1-1 draw away to Stenhousemuir with 10 men......! 

52 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This was summed up in qarabag when one of the few times in the game ojo pressed their back line and won the ball off them in the final third, exactly the type of transition glass would be wanting to make inroads against a quality team. 

But then you realise it’s funso ojo on the ball out wide and you actually need to be able to execute some quality when you get there. 

Yip.

Or playing a defensive team and Ojo taking an extra touch to set himself before he looks for the pass. Chance gone.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

This, sadly, is the simple truth.  Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen can't afford the quality you need to play expansive football successfully in the SPL, except in brief purple patches.  If our "lesser" clubs are good at anything, it's making it hard for teams with better players to score goals.  That's why you can't adopt an attacking style with only slightly better players than them.  You need much better players, and only two clubs can afford that.

I don't believe any coach can fix the problem, and I also think it's a bit of a Catch 22:  if you think you can do it (like Maloney or Glass) it's pretty much a sign that you're not enough of a realist to be a good coach.

There's another problem.  Let's hypothetically assume a coach at one of these clubs did assemble a squad capable of delivering successful, expansive football.  How long would he and his better players be at the club?  I think you can guarantee that even one season of that kind of success and probably the coach and certainly a few of his best players would be gone in the summer. 

Many of our fans like to think that successful attractive football is possible and that it can be a long term project.  Unfortunately they are kidding themselves.

5 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

This, sadly, is the simple truth.  Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen can't afford the quality you need to play expansive football successfully in the SPL, except in brief purple patches.  If our "lesser" clubs are good at anything, it's making it hard for teams with better players to score goals.  That's why you can't adopt an attacking style with only slightly better players than them.  You need much better players, and only two clubs can afford that.

I don't believe any coach can fix the problem, and I also think it's a bit of a Catch 22:  if you think you can do it (like Maloney or Glass) it's pretty much a sign that you're not enough of a realist to be a good coach.

There's another problem.  Let's hypothetically assume a coach at one of these clubs did assemble a squad capable of delivering successful, expansive football.  How long would he and his better players be at the club?  I think you can guarantee that even one season of that kind of success and probably the coach and certainly a few of his best players would be gone in the summer. 

Many of our fans like to think that successful attractive football is possible and that it can be a long term project.  Unfortunately they are kidding themselves.

It can be done but you need to do it with a young side. You'll also need success before they f**k off elsewhere.

10 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

How did the inducting of Franck Sauzee to the Hibs hall of fame go tonight? Any entertaining anecdotes about his speech or anything?

just a small excerpt but you'll get the gist.

Je tiens à remercier le Hibernian Fotball club, cette plus grande équipe d'Edimbourg, de m'avoir pris dans votre cœur, un ancien vainqueur de la Ligue des champions, et de m'avoir fourni une base pour mes compétences footballistiques. J'ai particulièrement aimé pomper les Gunts et je détesterai à jamais ces putains de connards puants jusqu'au jour de ma mort.

12 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

just a small excerpt but you'll get the gist.

Je tiens à remercier le Hibernian Fotball club, cette plus grande équipe d'Edimbourg, de m'avoir pris dans votre cœur, un ancien vainqueur de la Ligue des champions, et de m'avoir fourni une base pour mes compétences footballistiques. J'ai particulièrement aimé pomper les Gunts et je détesterai à jamais ces putains de connards puants jusqu'au jour de ma mort.

A simple: “he never bothered his arse turning up because he doesn’t give a flying f**k”, would have sufficed, Joseph. Still, I’m sure Stuart Lovell was well interesting. 😄