Although Boyle is pretty well paid by everyday standards, there are plenty of ex footballers kicking around who didnt earn enough in their playing days but still have the knackered knees and hip replacements in their 50s.

I dont grudge him anything - unless, of course this is a smokescreen and he ends up at Celtic, in which case he actually is a fucking c**t.

It's an impossible argument. Everyone makes decisions to benefit themselves which they know might be perceived to be morally wrong.

Did you dodge that train fare? Did you pay a subcontractor cash in order to get a cheaper price on some work to your home? Did you buy clothes that have likely exploited child and slave labour?

Nobody makes these decisions with the purpose of supporting fraud, tax evasion or the slave trade. They do it to benefit themselves. It's not just a case of saying Boyle = a c**t just because he may choose to get paid handsomely playing football in a certain country.

On a slightly different topic I've seen some chatter about replacing him if he goes.

Without knowing how the team will line up this season I reckon we've already got depth on the wings with Mueller, Murphy, Bradley, Wright and Mackay, with Nisbet having played less centrally at times too. Tait has apparently also played on the right, and I guess Cadden could also be put further forward albeit I wouldn't enjoy seeing that.

Arguments could be made for shunting off Murphy and Wright fairly easily and possibly even this window, but I ponder the point of bringing in the likes of Mackay and recalling Bradley if they aren't going to get a shot. 

If we could get in that other Norwegian we were linked with for reasonable money then fair enough, but I feel the squad is already fairly bloated with untested talent. Unless there's a clear opening on a star player to come in and replace him in an economical manner I'd prefer we actually try and use some of the players we already have. 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'd assume that his family would stay at home while he would play there for however long the Saudi football season is, unless they fancy some of the compound life.  Kind of like a lot of guys who work abroad do it.

I know people who have worked on oil rigs in some pretty crazy countries, NIgeria, Colombia, Libya (Gadaffi era) etc.  Not sure I'd be that keen on it and certainly none of them gave the politics of wherever they were going much thought.

There are even players who have signed for Clyde and Livingston.... 

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I see the Sun are running with the "Boyle demands to leave" story.

Wouldn't be surprised but a bit cuntish to put the story out there. Never ends well.

Boyle and Hibs have been working together on the deal, hes been kept in the loop all the way along - its going to happen, but this is all part of the theatre (probably his agent) ahead of it happening.

On 11/01/2022 at 09:21, Ric said:

It's a repressive religious autocratic regime whose history on human rights is shocking, it has deeply ingrained homophobia, misogyny and bigotry as part of the religious culture. 

Sounds like Paisley tbf. 

14 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Sounds like Paisley tbf. 

I mean you are the person who was incandescent with rage, demanding a post be removed because I suggested a well known television pundit would engage in fellatio. Screaming to the rafters I had posted a homophobic slur, and going so far as to pressurise the moderators to remove the comment.

Yet now, you are quite happy to make light about a regime which literally, literally, executes people within the LGBTQ+ community.

Some may suggest you were not quite as outraged as before and was merely trying to troll.

As for the position, I am genuinely stunned by the number of people who just go "yeah, but it's money". I honestly despair at people so shallow. Every single day of your life in that country you will see people persecuted and oppressed and what's more you are not allowed to speak out about it for fear of jail. Let's be honest here, he's no Khashoggi, but that case shows the Saudis do not take criticism.

Whether he takes his family if he goes is a genuine question because his wife will face strict restrictions, and I have no idea whether he has kids but can you imagine bringing them up in such a regime out of choice.

Why are wages so high? Because they are being bribed, to turn a blind eye, and I will be honest no amount of money could convince me to watch people being controlled by a brutally repressive regime and be entirely powerless to help them or help society in a wider case. Anyone willing to do so, in my opinion is a c**t. It really is as absolute as that. Some may say, "but Boyle, he was a nice lad with us, how can he be a c**t", and to that I'll say several people thought Fred West was a lovely guy. What people did before doesn't give them a free pass for the future.

And with that, this truly is the last post I'll make about him on here. I appreciate others have differing views but from my point of view those people are deluding themselves.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

As for the position, I am genuinely stunned by the number of people who just go "yeah, but it's money". I honestly despair at people so shallow. Every single day of your life in that country you will see people persecuted and oppressed and what's more you are not allowed to speak out about it for fear of jail. Let's be honest here, he's no Khashoggi, but that case shows the Saudis do not take criticism.

Whether he takes his family if he goes is a genuine question because his wife will face strict restrictions, and I have no idea whether he has kids but can you imagine bringing them up in such a regime out of choice.

Why are wages so high? Because they are being bribed, to turn a blind eye, and I will be honest no amount of money could convince me to watch people being controlled by a brutally repressive regime and be entirely powerless to help them or help society in a wider case. Anyone willing to do so, in my opinion is a c**t. It really is as absolute as that. Some may say, "but Boyle, he was a nice lad with us, how can he be a c**t", and to that I'll say several people thought Fred West was a lovely guy. What people did before doesn't give them a free pass for the future.

And with that, this truly is the last post I'll make about him on here. I appreciate others have differing views but from my point of view those people are deluding themselves.

It's very different when the offer is actually made and it's nonsense to suggest otherwise.

If you asked Boyle himself a week ago if he fancied Saudi Arabia then i can almost guarantee he'd have said no.

* sigh *

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's very different when the offer is actually made and it's nonsense to suggest otherwise.

No, it's not, the Saudi government are oppressive and always have been, the suggestion anything changes between not being offered a contract and being offered a contract is just daft.

And let us be very clear here, Boyle is not being forced to go there. He can earn considerably wages elsewhere, this is a personal choice he is making.

7 minutes ago, SDG2 said:

Yeah the similarities between Martin Boyle and Fred West are so blatant

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Fred west :lol:

Aye, that's right, ignore the actual point. It suggests perhaps neither of you have the mental fortitude to discuss this as an adult.

I'm really not going to get drawn into a protracted back and forth, I said my piece yesterday then left the thread. I've followed up again, and will not be drawn back in. If people wish make light or joke about this, either for the lulz thinking they'll get a bite (they won't) or because they think it's not an important point, then that really is your call. You are responsible for your own actions.

To those who have shown support for my point, even if they do not like my somewhat absolutist stance, I thank you.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

* sigh *

No, it's not, the Saudi government are oppressive and always have been, the suggestion anything changes between not being offered a contract and being offered a contract is just daft.

And let us be very clear here, Boyle is not being forced to go there. He can earn considerably wages elsewhere, this is a personal choice he is making.

Aye, that's right, ignore the actual point. It suggests perhaps neither of you have the mental fortitude to discuss this as an adult.

I'm really not going to get drawn into a protracted back and forth, I said my piece yesterday then left the thread. I've followed up again, and will not be drawn back in. If people wish make light or joke about this, either for the lulz thinking they'll get a bite (they won't) or because they think it's not an important point, then that really is your call. You are responsible for your own actions.

To those who have shown support for my point, even if they do not like my somewhat absolutist stance, I thank you.

I get the point you were making, but Fred west was a ridiculous way of making it. Accept it. 

I’ve already addressed your point with the ‘mental fortitude of an adult’ and you ignored it. 

At this point you just come across as a self righteous p***k and think you can throw away absolutist views because you’re the man of principle here. Don’t be surprised if your lack of nuance just bores people. 

Edited by Dons_1988

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

* sigh *

I don't think many people are trying to make light of the underlying point. A lot of people probably agree with your sentiments but are offering a perfectly valid reason (money) as to why someone would be tempted to go there despite any concerns they may have.

That being said, comparing Boyle to Fred West is something that should definitely be made light of.