We’ve had a good season. It could’ve been an incredible one though. Ross clearly hasn’t learned going by Saturday, which is a worry for next season.

As for the squad, it’s very weak outside of a group of regulars. The lack of any sort of depth in forward areas has been a killer. The likes of Jamie Murphy has been extremely injury prone and Magennis just hasn’t done a thing for us which justifies the money we paid. I’m hoping Scott Allan comes back in pre season firing on all cylinders because he’s exactly what we’ve missed. Irvine simply doesn’t deserve a big contract offer based on what he’s done and Joe Newell plays about one good game in four or five.

Going to be a big summer. We need to add to the current squad but it’s going to be a case of both replacing those who go (Nisbet and Doig certainties I think) and also trying to add further. 

Edited by Zing.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree Aberdeen had Saints' number this season, we've struggled to break you down but not sure I agree with the rest.

The season runs August-May and Hibs deserve to be called the third best team in the country because of where they finished.  But Saints were second bottom at the turn of the year after a woeful first half of the season.  Since then only the OF clubs and Aberdeen have beaten us.  

I don't accept Hibs are a better team. Better individually in a few positions yes, but I genuinely feel this St Johnstone side is the third best in the country right now, and has been since March.  

Classing this St Johnstone team as just being a good Cup side is well wide of the truth.  We won't keep all this team together over the summer sadly, but if we did, we'd be in with a great shout of 3rd next season.

You finish where you deserve to finish over the course of the season. With that being said I think all three clubs have a case for being the third best team.

Hibs easily have the best attack of the three, St Johnstone the defence and for me Aberdeen take the midfield.

At this point Hibs have gloating rights for finishing ahead of both of us but St Johnstone fans get to celebrate the first non OF double for decades. I know I'd rather be in there shoes today but would have happily taken third as a consolation.

It's interesting to see what happens next season. Hibs and Aberdeen both need a rebuild where it's a stick or twist season for St Johnstone. 

Edited by Merkland Red

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

It's interesting to see what happens next season. Hibs and Aberdeen both need a rebuild where it's a stick or twist season for St Johnstone. 

This sentence is the big one here. I'd expect all 3 teams to lose players and key ones at that. The question will be who out of the managers can replace the goals of Nisbet, the drive of Ferguson or McCann or the defensive capabilities/leadership of Kerr.

That's not to say all these players will leave, but a good number of all 3 squads are likely to either move on or be released and it'll be interesting to see how the managers do in the market. 

Either way, this is a Hibs thread so I'll bow out now. Well done on a great season, apologies for ruining the cups for you and I wish you all the best in Europe next season (as I do every Scottish team).

20 minutes ago, Zing. said:

We’ve had a good season. It could’ve been an incredible one though. Ross clearly hasn’t learned going by Saturday, which is a worry for next season.

As for the squad, it’s very weak outside of a group of regulars. The lack of any sort of depth in forward areas has been a killer. The likes of Jamie Murphy has been extremely injury prone and Magennis just hasn’t done a thing for us which justifies the money we paid. I’m hoping Scott Allan comes back in pre season firing on all cylinders because he’s exactly what we’ve missed. Irvine simply doesn’t deserve a big contract offer based on what he’s done and Joe Newell plays about one good game in four or five.

Going to be a big summer. We need to add to the current squad but it’s going to be a case of both replacing those who go (Nisbet and Doig certainties I think) and also trying to add further. 

The balance in midfield and attack has been way off all season and at it's worst it's like Saturday, 3 guys not particularly creative trying to feed 3 guys who were well marshalled. Newell and Irvine or Newell and Gogic should be more than solid enough and able to dictate play if they have someone sliding shroo balls to the forwards in front of them and Boyle being more of a winger or wing back than being pandered to as a forward all season (as good as he's been in parts)

Every sign of progress made this season has been met with a swift boot in the baws which is making it very tough to be optimistic for next season.

It's going to be an interesting summer and to be honest aside from Boyle, I wouldn't be fussed who is moved on. Boyle obviously was awful on Saturday but over the season I'd dread to think where we would have ended up without him. Hopefully we can get some decent money whilst we can for Nisbet and Porteous then try to improve on the old guard of Lewi, McGregor, SDG. 

Ross has generally signed pretty well but he really needs to get us playing better and winning more especially at home as our Easter Road record in particular is completely unacceptable for a team finishing top 4. 

I feel we may be in Pat Fenlon 2013 territory here where a few wrong results to start next season, especially Europe, could lead to an absolute meltdown from the supporters. 

Glory Glory eh

Martin Boyle and Jackson Irvine are part of Australia’s 31 man squad for 4 World Cup qualifying games in Kuwait next month. June 3 v Kuwait, June 7 v Chinese Taipei, June 11 v Nepal and June 15 v Jordan.

I would like to see Irvine stay but I think he's more suited to a deeper role. He's a limited player in the final third, particularly in front of goal and the lack of any goal threat from the rest of our midfield has emphasised this even more. 

I know Gogic does a job but his lack of any technical ability whatsoever really frustrates me. I'd like to see Irvine play in there for the majority of games to break up play and start attacks and we get in another central midfielder that carries a goal threat. 

32 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

I would like to see Irvine stay but I think he's more suited to a deeper role. He's a limited player in the final third, particularly in front of goal and the lack of any goal threat from the rest of our midfield has emphasised this even more. 

I know Gogic does a job but his lack of any technical ability whatsoever really frustrates me. I'd like to see Irvine play in there for the majority of games to break up play and start attacks and we get in another central midfielder that carries a goal threat. 

Aye, I would keep him if Nisbet/someone who'll being in money leaves early and we can put together a package to tempt him. Him and Newall plus a creative player would be very strong against most teams, him and Newall plus Gogic if we're up against it. But yeah I get why Ross has wanted him further up the park/half wide so far but get him in the middle where, with a pre season, he should be able to dominate a bit

52 minutes ago, Pato said:

Brilliant piece, disappointed he left out "over rated shitebags" and "Porteous is a complete haddy" but overall not too bad. Will read again. 

22 hours ago, Pato said:

Is that the tit that spent a year following Hearts to write his book?

Probably best leave that article to stupid fermers to help with basic reading skills?

Guest TheJTS98
22 hours ago, Pato said:

Kinell.

Imagine writing that and putting your name to it.

I'd rather lose ten cup finals in a row to St Johnstone having been 2-0 up against 8 men with a minute to play in each of them than lose one to Hibs.

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

'd rather lose ten cup finals in a row to St Johnstone having been 2-0 up against 8 men with a minute to play in each of them than lose one to Hibs.

Trying way to hard here m9.

Kickback for this pish.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Avon Barksdale said:

Trying way to hard here m9.

Kickback for this pish.

Not being a Hibs supporter, I rarely visit Kickback.

I suppose that article is an example of the opposite of what Hibs fans like to refer to as the 'comfort blanket' nature of the 1-5. Some Hibbies go out of their way to play down how utterly appalling the whole event was for them. It's funny to see.

To be fair, now that Hibs have won the cup, it would be a more manageable thing to live with, were it to happen to us. But comparing taking a thumping in the biggest derby any of us have ever seen with getting beat off St Johnstone just proves that you can get paid for more or less anything these days. Fair play to him.

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Depends how old you are m9.....................

Aye, the open top bus to display the two points won must have been magic. 😀

ETA: Talking about age - I was talking to a Hearts-supporting ex-colleague of mine today and mentioned the 1996 League Cup Final, which I remember like it was yesterday. He said he didn't remember it because he was only four at the time. This man has children. I am devastated.

Edited by TheJTS98

15 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Not being a Hibs supporter, I rarely visit Kickback.

I suppose that article is an example of the opposite of what Hibs fans like to refer to as the 'comfort blanket' nature of the 1-5. Some Hibbies go out of their way to play down how utterly appalling the whole event was for them. It's funny to see.

To be fair, now that Hibs have won the cup, it would be a more manageable thing to live with, were it to happen to us. But comparing taking a thumping in the biggest derby any of us have ever seen with getting beat off St Johnstone just proves that you can get paid for more or less anything these days. Fair play to him.

There's no doubt both the article and the author are full of pish.

Equally, so is saying you'd rather lose 10 finals in a row than lose one to Hibs.

There's simply no need to boast about your PHM, jammy wearing credentials on this thread my man.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Avon Barksdale said:

There's no doubt both the article and the author are full of pish.

Equally, so is saying you'd rather lose 10 finals in a row than lose one to Hibs.

There's simply no need to boast about your PHM, jammy wearing credentials on this thread my man.

I may have over-estimated my audience's ability to spot creative license.

Will remember for future reference. Feedback appreciated.

Unsure of how choice of nightwear reflects my football-supporter credentials, but will give this thought.

18 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I may have over-estimated my audience's ability to spot creative license.

Will remember for future reference. Feedback appreciated.

Unsure of how choice of nightwear reflects my football-supporter credentials, but will give this thought.

So you were, as I said, trying way to hard.

Thank you for your valuable input.

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, Avon Barksdale said:

So you were, as I said, trying way to hard.

Thank you for your valuable input.

image.jpeg.6d1502bb4d1d46e35b53038be7a3588f.jpeg