7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Delighted for St Johnstone. They just bettered anything we did under McInnes. Davidson has done superbly well and should receive the Manager of the season award.

Hibs have royally screwed up. Rumours of them being in over 8 million debt resulting in them having to sell half their squad this coming summer.  Lets be clear this Hibs side are mince and have carried an enormous amount of luck this season. Just look at the cup draws they had and lack of injuries.

They spent wages/money they didn't have on the likes of Jackson Irvine, Cadden and a fee on a new goalie in January. They've supposedly just dished out 400k on a youngster from Inverness.

Nisbett who has been vastly overrated by the media (scored 4 goals since January) has a sell on clause which means Dunfermline will be due 40% of whatever fee they receive for him. Boyle has a 500K transfer clause. Porteous is worth no more then 500k - he's mince.

Doig (released by Hearts only a year or so ago) who has only just completed his first full competitive season is not worth anywhere near 4 million...yet.

I’m all for slating  Hibs after yesterday but that post is absolutely mince 😂

Edited by Les Cabbage

Losing a final I can accept, but losing in such a gutless manner I can't , absolutely pathetic performance with the only highlight being Macey's penalty save . Not sure I see the point of sacking the manager can't really see anyone out there who's available to replace him a manager can only do so much once the teams on the pitch the players need step up and take some responsibility. 

37 minutes ago, stanton said:

Losing a final I can accept, but losing in such a gutless manner I can't , absolutely pathetic performance with the only highlight being Macey's penalty save . Not sure I see the point of sacking the manager can't really see anyone out there who's available to replace him a manager can only do so much once the teams on the pitch the players need step up and take some responsibility. 

I dunno if I'd sack him but I'd give a big ol shrug if someone was mad enough to take him off our hands. Davidson shows up his limitations every time. We don't look as well drilled in defence or midfield, we don't look as creative or dangerous on the break, we looked more like a team who'd had a covid outbreak affecting fitness.

Davidson genuinely got the best out of that group of players physically, tactically and mentally (Callum Booth who has spent every year since his breakthrough at Hibs looking pea hearted at this level winning two tackles to set up the goal) so that they don't have to play all that well to look comfortable. That's what Ross is meant to be good at but completely outdone again. 

At the end of the day we're two sitters at 0-0 away from probably going on to win 2 cups as well as getting third, so it's a rock and a hard place. I doubt we'll win a cup with him.

Might be because of the last year not feeling as connected to the team but I'd welcome a clear out. Honestly if you told me we could go out into next season only keeping macey, Doig, Hanlon (not as captain or first pick), Newall, Gogic, Allan (if fit again) and Doidge I'd be happy. Irvine has been decent but was dreadful today and will be down south anyway. Boyle can leave if he wants, ditto Nisbet if the same money comes in as in January, porteous if we get the same money, the rest I honestly couldn't care less about.  But then obviously that's not going to happen and it's probably just yesterday talking. 

Also lol at the guy who spends all his time on here saying Aberdeen should sign every good player in the league like he's cheated to give them unlimited cash on FM recycling nonsense "rumours" from kickback. You've more than enough to be worrying about yourselves lads. 

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I dunno if I'd sack him but I'd give a big ol shrug if someone was mad enough to take him off our hands. Davidson shows up his limitations every time. We don't look as well drilled in defence or midfield, we don't look as creative or dangerous on the break, we looked more like a team who'd had a covid outbreak affecting fitness.

Davidson genuinely got the best out of that group of players physically, tactically and mentally (Callum Booth who has spent every year since his breakthrough at Hibs looking pea hearted at this level winning two tackles to set up the goal) so that they don't have to play all that well to look comfortable. That's what Ross is meant to be good at but completely outdone again. 

At the end of the day we're two sitters at 0-0 away from probably going on to win 2 cups as well as getting third, so it's a rock and a hard place. I doubt we'll win a cup with him.

Might be because of the last year not feeling as connected to the team but I'd welcome a clear out. Honestly if you told me we could go out into next season only keeping macey, Doig, Hanlon (not as captain or first pick), Newall, Gogic, Allan (if fit again) and Doidge I'd be happy. Irvine has been decent but was dreadful today and will be down south anyway. Boyle can leave if he wants, ditto Nisbet if the same money comes in as in January, porteous if we get the same money, the rest I honestly couldn't care less about.  But then obviously that's not going to happen and it's probably just yesterday talking. 

Also lol at the guy who spends all his time on here saying Aberdeen should sign every good player in the league like he's cheated to give them unlimited cash on FM recycling nonsense "rumours" from kickback. You've more than enough to be worrying about yourselves lads. 

It is a slightly lazy comparison but there is hints of the mcinnes about Ross. 

He’ll set you up reasonably well defensively and then try and assemble an attacking force that should be better than the vast majority of the league, with a limited tactical attacking structure. That combined with good man management and a strong media presence won’t see you (or perhaps more importantly, Ross himself) far wrong. 

The test that’s about to come if rumours are to be believed is rebuilding a side that gets broken up. Our Derek didn’t cover himself in glory in that respect. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It is a slightly lazy comparison but there is hints of the mcinnes about Ross. 

He’ll set you up reasonably well defensively and then try and assemble an attacking force that should be better than the vast majority of the league, with a limited tactical attacking structure. That combined with good man management and a strong media presence won’t see you (or perhaps more importantly, Ross himself) far wrong. 

The test that’s about to come if rumours are to be believed is rebuilding a side that gets broken up. Our Derek didn’t cover himself in glory in that respect. 

I don't think it's all that lazy tbh, just quite accurate.

The assembling an attacking force part in particular is what annoys me, there's no fluidity about the way we try to attack most of the time, and noone creative enough in midfield to make things happen if just having good players up front doesn't cut it.

I think that for the most part the skill sets a manager and team needs to get third and to win cups in Scotland are pretty different, and it's almost unknown in modern times for a manager to do both. To be consistent with what I've said to Aberdeen fans since I started posting on here, I'd far rather a manager with the latter, as nice as it is to finish third

16 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I don't think it's all that lazy tbh, just quite accurate.

The assembling an attacking force part in particular is what annoys me, there's no fluidity about the way we try to attack most of the time, and noone creative enough in midfield to make things happen if just having good players up front doesn't cut it.

I think that for the most part the skill sets a manager and team needs to get third and to win cups in Scotland are pretty different, and it's almost unknown in modern times for a manager to do both. To be consistent with what I've said to Aberdeen fans since I started posting on here, I'd far rather a manager with the latter, as nice as it is to finish third

I suppose what Davidson seems to have that Ross/mcinnes don’t is that clear plan of how to hurt teams that are better than them man for man. It doesn’t necessarily have to be free flowing, fantastic football but you need to feel like you can hurt the opposition. We had plenty games against Celtic when we did fine at nullifying their threat whilst we could also have played for hours and not scored. 

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I suppose what Davidson seems to have that Ross/mcinnes don’t is that clear plan of how to hurt teams that are better than them man for man. It doesn’t necessarily have to be free flowing, fantastic football but you need to feel like you can hurt the opposition. We had plenty games against Celtic when we did fine at nullifying their threat whilst we could also have played for hours and not scored. 

This. Usually went along the lines of sitting deep for 75 mins then going for it late. To be fair to him I think this truly became the norm after the cup final where we went out all guns blazing and the players were noticeably shattered. If that game had went to extra time we'd probably have lost by more than one.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It all comes down to having to make that system work imo, not having the luxury when things weren't working in the league of just sticking a more talented couple of players in. They are so comfortable in it. McCann and Bryson and the back three knew what they were going to do with the ball before they had it and managed to get up the pitch much better than Hibs, who looked like they had to think about every pass by which time Saints are back in position. Then you have a couple of default weapons like Wotherspoon in that free role or Rooney attacking the back post, and you have a couple of positions with horses for courses. Was surprised Middleton started yesterday but was a perfect choice, our midfield and defence is so slow and weak when ran at. And then the players seem to have something specific to focus on, like Kane playing Porteous perfectly. 

With all due respect because he's achieved more than any non OF manager in decades, and if he continues like this he'll be a superb manager long term, but it's not all that complicated stuff Davidson's doing and shows up the likes of Ross and McInnes as fairly limited guys imo

18 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

but it's not all that complicated stuff Davidson's doing and shows up the likes of Ross and McInnes as fairly limited guys imo

"Football is a simple game, complicated by idiots"

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

"Football is a simple game, complicated by idiots"

Absolutely. Like would you agree that a lot of the turn around has been based on changing the positioning of the two supporting the centre forward and having more energetic than technical wing backs? That's what it looks like from what I've seen over the season tactically and again, not galaxy brain stuff just being a good (and probably as important when talking in relation to McInnes/Ross) humble manager 

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Absolutely. Like would you agree that a lot of the turn around has been based on changing the positioning of the two supporting the centre forward and having more energetic than technical wing backs? That's what it looks like from what I've seen over the season tactically and again, not galaxy brain stuff just being a good (and probably as important when talking in relation to McInnes/Ross) humble manager 

Early this season we had issues with central space between the midfield and defence. Having 2 wingers and 2 wing backs had us playing wide and putting in lots of crosses, but nobody to actually win it.

Been a combination of tactical tweaks (Craig coming in as a DM and going 2 up top/wingers playing narrower when we play 3 up top means the CMs can sit deeper and prevent the worrying gap) and maybe just luck (McNamara leaving brings Rooney in, and suddenly we have an aerial threat in the box/Tanser injury bringing Booth in, who is far better at linking with Wotherspoon on the left, which then opens up space for Rooney at the back post).

He's clearly worked hard on the set ups in training though, and seems to be learning exactly what set up he needs for any situation. The back 3 are absolutely massive to it all though. Give almost nothing away most matches and all 3 are dominant aerially.

On 07/03/2021 at 15:27, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Never felt so negative about a season where we look like we'll finish 4th at a minimum. Credit to @RandomGuy. I think he's probably right, Ross long term will do a McInnes and achieve pretty much to budget in the league but won't be challenging in cups or doing anything in europe (which, tbf, wouldn't be dreadful). 

Over a year into his reign now and I still don't really know how a Jack Ross team plays, what they're trying to do. Just feels like getting the best set of players on the pitch you can and adding more solid/creative players as opposition demands. Formations taken up and launched in a matter of weeks.

Contrast that with Davidson at Saints who has a style and formation he wants to use and has stuck with it through the tough period to deliver good form and a cup. 

Two cups.

I’m all for slating  Hibs after yesterday but that post is absolutely mince [emoji23]

All I can say is if Porteous is worth £4m then how much more would you value any of our back three of Gordon,Kerr and McCart.

18 minutes ago, akuram said:

All I can say is if Porteous is worth £4m then how much more would you value any of our back three of Gordon,Kerr and McCart.

Who said Porteous was worth £4m? 😂

Have a lie down mate, sounds like you need it

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

It all comes down to having to make that system work imo, not having the luxury when things weren't working in the league of just sticking a more talented couple of players in. They are so comfortable in it. McCann and Bryson and the back three knew what they were going to do with the ball before they had it and managed to get up the pitch much better than Hibs, who looked like they had to think about every pass by which time Saints are back in position. Then you have a couple of default weapons like Wotherspoon in that free role or Rooney attacking the back post, and you have a couple of positions with horses for courses. Was surprised Middleton started yesterday but was a perfect choice, our midfield and defence is so slow and weak when ran at. And then the players seem to have something specific to focus on, like Kane playing Porteous perfectly. 

With all due respect because he's achieved more than any non OF manager in decades, and if he continues like this he'll be a superb manager long term, but it's not all that complicated stuff Davidson's doing and shows up the likes of Ross and McInnes as fairly limited guys imo

Just a small observation on that. When St Johnstone played Aberdeen this season, in 4 games they ranged from absolutely one-dimensional, to uninspired, to turgid, to boring, to absolute pish. We won 3 games against them and drew the other 0-0. 

Just because they absolutely have Hibs number, doesn't mean they're a great side. They're not.  What they are this season is a good cup side. That happens from time to time, and St Johnstone have been magnificent in both cups,  but I would still insist that league consistency is a better mark of a team's ability.

Hibs are a better team than St Johnstone. They just can't play against them. 

As a further small observation, opposition fans were slated by Hibees when the called Boyle a cheat. 'Trial by Sportscene' was the cry. 

I think that yesterday conclusively proved that indeed, Boyle is a fucking cheat. Case closed.