13 hours ago, Zing. said:

Josh Doig signed up until 2025, good move from the club which should get us a good transfer fee if he keeps developing as he has this season. 

Hibs are going to make a fortune on him. Boy has everything you're looking for in a young prospect. I'm really high on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Never felt so negative about a season where we look like we'll finish 4th at a minimum. Credit to @RandomGuy. I think he's probably right, Ross long term will do a McInnes and achieve pretty much to budget in the league but won't be challenging in cups or doing anything in europe (which, tbf, wouldn't be dreadful). 

Over a year into his reign now and I still don't really know how a Jack Ross team plays, what they're trying to do. Just feels like getting the best set of players on the pitch you can and adding more solid/creative players as opposition demands. Formations taken up and launched in a matter of weeks.

Contrast that with Davidson at Saints who has a style and formation he wants to use and has stuck with it through the tough period to deliver good form and a cup. 

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

He's already been challenging in the cups? Semi finals made in both that he's been in so far.

Neither semi final has been good enough, but the runs are a solid platform that we can hopefully build on.

Aye I suppose you're right, I don't see any evidence that he's getting any better in the big games over the course of that year though, in the league or cups. Maybe I'm overthinking it or we'll go on and scoosh the SC. But honestly do you think there's much sign that there's any identity or philosophy being built here? That's what's frustrating and worrying me most tbh.

51 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

@Genuine Hibs Fan I will give you the cup win, that was excellent for them but league form?

Which end of this table would you prefer to be at?

Because the team at the top end has - on every metric in that table - demonstrated better form than the team at the other end.

image.png.cc61e407a6521e242033f373fae19d51.png

Aye that's true, but as I mentioned they had a rotten run of form for a long time while their manager implemented and tweaked a consistent system. They then won a cup, which is what we've been telling Dons fans is the most important thing for clubs outside the old firm. We could also discuss relative budgets, and the fact that our opposition's goalscorer yesterday was a 34 year old liam craig.

It sounds a bit have your cake and eat it lads tbh, Ross is displaying a lot of the same characteristics and deficiencies as McInnes has over the years. If we're gonna slag him/Dons fans then we should at least try to be consistent. I'm not saying I want him out or anything but I'd be very surprised if we're near 3rd next year if there's not a lot of improvement

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

It sounds a bit have your cake and eat it lads tbh, Ross is displaying a lot of the same characteristics and deficiencies as McInnes has over the years. If we're gonna slag him/Dons fans then we should at least try to be consistent. I'm not saying I want him out or anything but I'd be very surprised if we're near 3rd next year if there's not a lot of improvement

When you consider the March-July hiatus that football went on last year, he's basically been in the job for 365 days.

I think it's fair to give him another season to shake off the McInnes Lite tag. If he doesn't, and next season is a repeat of this one in terms of cups, then I'll stand corrected.

26 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

When you consider the March-July hiatus that football went on last year, he's basically been in the job for 365 days.

I think it's fair to give him another season to shake off the McInnes Lite tag. If he doesn't, and next season is a repeat of this one in terms of cups, then I'll stand corrected.

Think that's absolutely fair, and of course there's the caveat of how shite the majority of games have been over covid. 

I don't think he should be gone or anything but I'm losing confidence the more I see. There was talk of Ronnie G getting the cheque book out the other week but I'd hope Ross is asked what he wants to improve in the team and how he plans to do it before we give him more to spend. Although I guess that's always the case anyway

3 hours ago, HibsFan said:

He's already been challenging in the cups? Semi finals made in both that he's been in so far.

Neither semi final has been good enough, but the runs are a solid platform that we can hopefully build on.

In fairness, we’re yet to beat a top flight club in the cup under Ross, I know we’ve only came up against one but the way we’ve collapsed in both semi finals, once against a 2nd top flight club (and the standard of football) is a real cause for concern, really do hope he proves me wrong and turns into a good manager but thus far I feel it’s going to go very Derek McInnes.

What I will say is his recruitment in the main has been very good, assume Mathie has something to do with that too though.

10 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

In fairness, we’re yet to beat a top flight club in the cup under Ross, I know we’ve only came up against one but the way we’ve collapsed in both semi finals, once against a 2nd top flight club (and the standard of football) is a real cause for concern, really do hope he proves me wrong and turns into a good manager but thus far I feel it’s going to go very Derek McInnes.

What I will say is his recruitment in the main has been very good, assume Mathie has something to do with that too though.

Yes as I said earlier you cant really argue the league stats, but both of those cup matches were pretty disappointing, and you can definitely question some of the personnel choices in both matches (but particularly against the tories).

It was clear that the Scottish Cup one was a great opportunity as Celtic are as weak as we have seen them for a while. 

Its really important financially that we get that third place - for us, but also because the loss of that extra income will weaken Aberdeen for next season (when clearly Hearts will be back in the division with pots of cash).

I agree with @Genuine Hibs Fan sentiment earlier about trophies v league finishes, but now that 3rd is in sight it is the most important thing for us this season - while everyone would dearly love to have a go at the Scottish Cup, I fear that Rangers will be prioritising that (domestically) and will probably scoosh it as well.

12 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I think Aberdeen and Hibs could both do much better than McInnes and Ross. It's about the clubs having ambition and not appointing the usual suspects. You can guarantee that if both jobs were available tomorrow the bulk of leading candidates in the media/bookies would be the same.

Hibs have went outside the box with a few appointments. It doesn't mean they shouldn't again.

McInnes' time is done. Has been for a while. A great appointment at the time but he's now not the guy to have us kick on. Ross at Hibs has the same feeling about it. A good appointment who'll do a good job for a number of years but I can't see you kicking on with him in the role.

I saw Paul McGinn's comments this morning and couldn't help but think that the pitch didn't stop Josh Doig and Jackson Irvine playing some lovely football with good technical ability, maybe Paul McGinn needs to look closer to home. Even Paul Hanlon and Porteous managed to spin on the spot and run away with the ball totally under control. 

Not that it really bothers me, I just always love players moaning about conditions when it's the same for bot teams and lets face it nobody in the league has a good pith after so many games over the winter period. 

Question for the Hibs fans though, what constitutes a successful season, I'd imagine you're all quite happy with where you are in terms of results. However, Jack Ross has developed this almost boring, turgid style of play at his recent clubs, would you rather have a John Hughes philosophy manager or an efficient one?