I really couldn't give much of a f**k about signing him tbh. He's decent, nothing more. There are going to be thousands of players out of contract who are going to be potentially available at much cheaper prices than you'd think. If we were offering 200k for him put that to a wage.

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

I really couldn't give much of a f**k about signing him tbh. He's decent, nothing more. There are going to be thousands of players out of contract who are going to be potentially available at much cheaper prices than you'd think. If we were offering 200k for him put that to a wage.

Nah not having that, he's exactly what we need just now. At the moment if a cb or Gogic gets injured there's either a drop off of its square legs in round holes.

Plus he's pretty much the same ceiling as Porteous so we'd likely make decent money on him if he keeps developing, and Jack Ross obviously feels he will. I doubt championship clubs will look that seriously at him and league 1 clubs have a salary cap now do they not, so I reckon in a month or so they might be more amenable.

A Rangers mate of mine made the good point though that there's a few others they're trying to push out the door first.

Nah not having that, he's exactly what we need just now. At the moment if a cb or Gogic gets injured there's either a drop off of its square legs in round holes.
Plus he's pretty much the same ceiling as Porteous so we'd likely make decent money on him if he keeps developing, and Jack Ross obviously feels he will. I doubt championship clubs will look that seriously at him and league 1 clubs have a salary cap now do they not, so I reckon in a month or so they might be more amenable.
A Rangers mate of mine made the good point though that there's a few others they're trying to push out the door first.
I'm not criticising the role he plays as it's somewhere I do think we should be looking. I just don't think he's that good. I don't think he's physical enough to be a good centre half, and I don't think he's tactically bright enough to play as an effective defensive midfielder. Maybe he's better now than when I last seen him a couple of years ago tbf, but there's a decent number of young Scottish defensive midfielders playing just now who I think are comfortably better than him. 22 isn't that young either to expect lots more development.

The only way I'd see this being a goer is actually if Porteous is sold and he's seen as a replacement for him.

It would be a shame if we can’t get Mcrorie on a permanent deal but it’s encouraging that a young player wants to leave Rangers to come to us and further his career. 

Hopefully players like Mcginn, McGeough and Cummings moving to big clubs in England help convince young players that this is a place to develop their careers. Prior to Leeann and Stubbs coming in the club was seen as a dead end for players. 

9 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I'm not criticising the role he plays as it's somewhere I do think we should be looking. I just don't think he's that good. I don't think he's physical enough to be a good centre half, and I don't think he's tactically bright enough to play as an effective defensive midfielder. Maybe he's better now than when I last seen him a couple of years ago tbf, but there's a decent number of young Scottish defensive midfielders playing just now who I think are comfortably better than him. 22 isn't that young either to expect lots more development.

The only way I'd see this being a goer is actually if Porteous is sold and he's seen as a replacement for him.

I can only speak from what I've seen of McCrorie but I felt one his strengths in defensive midfield for us was his tactical intelligence. He read the game well, has a great engine in him and would tackle his granny for the ball. We played him at right back, centre back and centre mid and it was clear as day that his best position was centre mid. Weirdly, he's never had a full season at any club in that position, he's always shunted around. I don't doubt he would develop a lot if he was given a full season in his best position. Not sure he's a replacement for Porteous, he's a decent stop gap at centre back but wouldn't be counting on him there long term.

Edit to add - the first game we actually played McCrorie at defensive midfield was in a 2-2 draw at Easter Road, incidentally. He was tremendous for us that day.

Edited by The Moonster

I can only speak from what I've seen of McCrorie but I felt one his strengths in defensive midfield for us was his tactical intelligence. He read the game well, has a great engine in him and would tackle his granny for the ball. We played him at right back, centre back and centre mid and it was clear as day that his best position was centre mid. Weirdly, he's never had a full season at any club in that position, he's always shunted around. I don't doubt he would develop a lot if he was given a full season in his best position. Not sure he's a replacement for Porteous, he's a decent stop gap at centre back but wouldn't be counting on him there long term.
Edit to add - the first game we actually played McCrorie at defensive midfield was in a 2-2 draw at Easter Road, incidentally. He was tremendous for us that day.
To be fair I've not seen that much of him, but I thought he was looking to make tackles rather than holding the shape you need your DM to do. I also thought he wasn't very good at either showing for defenders or recycling the ball further up the park due to the positions he took up.

He might well be a better player now than then tbf. But if its the same player who played for Rangers a couple of years back I don't think he's close to being an upgrade on anything we already have. And I'm really not fussed about paying money for players like that.

14 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Maybe he's better now than when I last seen him a couple of years ago tbf, but there's a decent number of young Scottish defensive midfielders playing just now who I think are comfortably better than him. 

Genuinely curious who these players are? Can't think of any that would be available 

12 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

'You think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light till I was already a man, by then, it was nothing to me but BLINDING'

IMG_20200813_182120.thumb.jpg.9cbf40ef36f29c71891650b5d79a80c7.jpg

Excellent. Though I'm not sure Bane carries a sponge bag around.

13 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Excellent. Though I'm not sure Bane carries a sponge bag around.

It's actually made from the skin of opposition attacking midfielders and contains a variety of torture implements.

Genuinely curious who these players are? Can't think of any that would be available 

I never said available tbf, but Campbell, McCann, Ferguson, and Andy Irving I'd have ahead of him. About the 5th best youngish Scottish deep lying midfielder of his age isn't something that is going to improve us very much.

I wouldn't hate it as a signing, and I've been wrong about plenty players before, but I just don't fancy him much. I don't think he's an upgrade on Hallberg who isn't starting atm.

If we're looking for someone in that position I'd look for someone younger who'll be trying to break into the team and develop. Or pick up an experienced free agent who we maybe couldn't have looked at pre virus who needs a club. You either acquire potential to be better than you have, or better than you have got now. Mccrorie looks to me to be a bit worse than Gogic or Porteous and hasn't been developing enough for Rangers to want to keep him. I think Jack is a good player, but someone not even pushing him for a place isn't good enough imo.

1 minute ago, Lebowski said:

I never said available tbf, but Campbell, McCann, Ferguson, and Andy Irving I'd have ahead of him. About the 5th best youngish Scottish deep lying midfielder of his age isn't something that is going to improve us very much.

I wouldn't hate it as a signing, and I've been wrong about plenty players before, but I just don't fancy him much. I don't think he's an upgrade on Hallberg who isn't starting atm.

If we're looking for someone in that position I'd look for someone younger who'll be trying to break into the team and develop. Or pick up an experienced free agent who we maybe couldn't have looked at pre virus who needs a club. You either acquire potential to be better than you have, or better than you have got. Mccrorie looks to me to be a bit worse than Gogic or Porteous and hasn't been developing enough for Rangers to want to keep him. I think Jack is a good player, but someone not even pushing him for a place isn't good enough imo.

I think we just disagree on his ability and potential tbh. I wouldn't break the bank for him and won't be upset if we don't get him, but a player who gives us depth in 2 positions we're short in and is still young enough to improve a decent amount, at an affordable price, is a bit of a no brainer for me.

I've always been impressed when I've seen him and rangers fans I know think it's a shame they'd let him go (albeit they don't think he'd ever be a first choice there.) But I can understand why folk would be unfussed by him.

I'd agree the four you mention are better, but availability is sort of prescient if we're talking about players Hibs would bring in. And I don't think any of the players you've described are the same type of player at all. Campbell and Ferguson have bite but are both box to box midfielders primarily; Irving and McCann are more technical players and again McCann isn't really a deep lying player either is he?

I think we just disagree on his ability and potential tbh. I wouldn't break the bank for him and won't be upset if we don't get him, but a player who gives us depth in 2 positions we're short in and is still young enough to improve a decent amount, at an affordable price, is a bit of a no brainer for me. I've always been impressed when I've seen him and rangers fans I know think it's a shame they'd let him go (albeit they don't think he'd ever be a first choice there.) But I can understand why folk would be unfussed by him.

I'd agree the four you mention are better, but availability is sort of prescient if we're talking about players Hibs would bring in. And I don't think any of the players you've described are the same type of player at all. Campbell and Ferguson have bite but are both box to box midfielders primarily; Irving and McCann are more technical players and again McCann isn't really a deep lying player either is he?

No unreasonable points. McCann in particular I'd disagree about his position, he's deep sitting, I'd say the same with Campbell to an extent. Both can get forward but they're disciplined when they do it.  

I suppose what I'm actually thinking, accepting your argument to an extent and given the players I've mentioned, is that I'm probably wanting a Mcgeouch type beside Gogic. And I don't think Mccrorie is anything like good enough to play that role which is why I'm probably judging him differently from you.

17 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

No unreasonable points. McCann in particular I'd disagree about his position, he's deep sitting, I'd say the same with Campbell to an extent. Both can get forward but they're disciplined when they do it.  

I suppose what I'm actually thinking, accepting your argument to an extent and given the players I've mentioned, is that I'm probably wanting a Mcgeouch type beside Gogic. And I don't think Mccrorie is anything like good enough to play that role which is why I'm probably judging him differently from you.

Fair enough man! That's interesting though, I'd have thought Hallberg and Newall are kind of the (not exact) McGeough surrogates. My first priority for the midfield would still be the McGinn equivalent to continue the way I'm visualising it, which is why Docherty would be my preferred Rangers midfielder to sign. I guess I'm also a little scarred by having a year or so without any effective protection for the defence and am aware that if Gogic is injured it's back to square 1 there. Add the fact we're playing 3 at the back a lot and he just seems a neat box to tick.

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

McCann isn't really a deep lying player either is he?

McCann can be whatever you want him to be. A complete midfielder. He's on a long term deal so you'd be looking at upwards of £1m, especially after NI cap him.

4 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Hibs apparently in for Jason Kerr. That would be a good signing.

Boy who started that claimed youd signed Stephen O'Donnell last week...

Again, if you're not going above £200k for McCrorie, then you won't be signing Kerr. We apparently rejected more than that for him in January from the Championship. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McCann can be whatever you want him to be. A complete midfielder. He's on a long term deal so you'd be looking at upwards of £1m, especially after NI cap him.

I wasn't suggesting we could afford him tbh, great player though. Best youngster you've had in a long while, including May I'd say. Hopefully has a good career

Boy who started that claimed youd signed Stephen O'Donnell last week...
Again, if you're not going above £200k for McCrorie, then you won't be signing Kerr. We apparently rejected more than that for him in January from the Championship. 
That clip is exactly what I was talking about when I was saying what I want in a DM tbh. Sitting in front of the defence in space to take the ball out. Gives options to every player in every area to take a pass.

Hibs can't afford McCann, don't think you'll get much argument there, but the financial landscape is very different now from January for every club. Hibs got Nisbet for about half the price we offered in January.

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

'You think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light till I was already a man, by then, it was nothing to me but BLINDING'

IMG_20200813_182120.thumb.jpg.9cbf40ef36f29c71891650b5d79a80c7.jpg

A man that shaves his barnet off not out of necessity is to be reckoned with.  

I love the guy.  He's everywhere, chasing back closing doon, and nearly always effective.  A superb signing.