22 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

FFS guys chill. You are not going to be ripped off by Hibs. Unless St Mirren's lawyer is an 8 year old child with special needs, he/she will have this scenario covered. The real potential rip-off here is that Celtic, having pocketed £7m for a merely decent Armstrong and are now reportedly offering - presumably with a straight face - £1.5m for a game changer like McGinn. If you don't get as big a top-up as you had hoped, it will be because Celtic have managed to strong-arm their reserve team into accepting sweeties for one of Scotland's best.

Celtic have got the ball rolling offers should start coming in from down south and a renewed offer from Celtic. Of course McGinn may choose to stay at Hibs and pocket a huge signing on fee next year. 

27 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

FFS guys chill. You are not going to be ripped off by Hibs. Unless St Mirren's lawyer is an 8 year old child with special needs, he/she will have this scenario covered. The real potential rip-off here is that Celtic, having pocketed £7m for a merely decent Armstrong and are now reportedly offering - presumably with a straight face - £1.5m for a game changer like McGinn. If you don't get as big a top-up as you had hoped, it will be because Celtic have managed to strong-arm their reserve team into accepting sweeties for one of Scotland's best.

The opening bid is a grouse beat IMO. Celtic merely trying to flush out the competition, unsettle the player and start the dance.

9 minutes ago, Div said:

The opening bid is a grouse beat IMO. Celtic merely trying to flush out the competition, unsettle the player and start the dance.

If it ends up with a bidding war with an EPL team we will just drop out Im sure as I cant see us paying over 3 million for a guy who wont be a first team pick any time soon. Hes almost certain to leave in this window though so probably best for all involved he leaves sooner rather than later.

I personally hope we sign him however if he gets a move to an EPL club dont think anybody would begrudge him that.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

If it ends up with a bidding war with an EPL team we will just drop out Im sure as I cant see us paying over 3 million for a guy who wont be a first team pick any time soon. Hes almost certain to leave in this window though so probably best for all involved he leaves sooner rather than later.

I personally hope we sign him however if he gets a move to an EPL club dont think anybody would begrudge him that.

You live in a dream world mate if you think John McGinn would not walk into the Celtic team. 

11 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

You live in a dream world mate if you think John McGinn would not walk into the Celtic team. 

We generally play with a midfield 3. Right now who is he going to displace out of Brown,Ntcham,Rogic,Mcgregor? 

I do rate Mcginn but I cant see him moving ahead of any of them this year.

16 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Tbf Celtic play with one more defensive minded midfielder, a more attack minded one, then a number ten. 

He's worse defensively than Scott Brown, scores less than Calum McGregor, and Rogic is the best number ten in the country. That's ignoring Ntcham, who regularly strolls matches at this level and has a physicality and technical ability beyond McGinn. 

Nice to see St Mirren fans still absolutely deluded about how good their young players are, though. Kenny McLean was apparently a superstar, before spending years looking like a bang average midfielder for Aberdeen. Assume Morgan will turn out the same. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf Celtic play with one more defensive minded midfielder, a more attack minded one, then a number ten. 

He's worse defensively than Scott Brown, scores less than Calum McGregor, and Rogic is the best number ten in the country. That's ignoring Ntcham, who regularly strolls matches at this level and has a physicality and technical ability beyond McGinn. 

Nice to see St Mirren fans still absolutely deluded about how good their young players are, though. Kenny McLean was apparently a superstar, before spending years looking like a bang average midfielder for Aberdeen. Assume Morgan will turn out the same. 

Don't remember Saints fans saying McLean is a superstar no idea where you got that info ?  McLean is a good player at an Aberdeen level. McGinn and Morgan are on a whole different level. However I get what cannonball is writting let's see if Celtic up there offer I can't see them paying out 3 million to sit on the bench. Look out next season for our next youngster another good one who will go to the next level McGinnis.  

18 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Don't remember Saints fans saying McLean is a superstar no idea where you got that info ?  McLean is a good player at an Aberdeen level. McGinn and Morgan are on a whole different level. However I get what cannonball is writting let's see if Celtic up there offer I can't see them paying out 3 million to sit on the bench. Look out next season for our next youngster another good one who will go to the next level McGinnis.  

When McLean was being linked away St Mirren fans were claiming he was a superstar and future Scotland regular. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

When McLean was being linked away St Mirren fans were claiming he was a superstar and future Scotland regular. 

More Scotland caps than Stevie May. May didn't make the grade in England and ends up at Aberdeen and Kenny McLean improves year on year and is now off to England. 

With the Saints being out the top division the last few seasons I've not really kept up to date with The Sainteeees flourishing youth academy. I'm sure it must be streets ahead of ours , eh ? 

Edited by Munoz

He wouldn’t.

He’s not at a level to be a starter for Celtic yet. Not doubting he’s a good player at this level but don’t underestimate Celtics strength in depth. Right now there’s 4 or 5 better midfielders than McGinn.

Look at Scott Allan, one of the best players at Hibs and can get nowhere near the Celtic bench.

8 minutes ago, topsider said:

don’t underestimate Celtics strength in depth. Right now there’s 4 or 5 better midfielders than McGinn.

That's pretty shameless. That lot struggled to beat us. He can't be that bad.

Edited by HaikuHibee

When you consider Celtic just got 7m for Armstrong who had a year left on his deal and less Scotland caps than McGinn I think the following offer is fair;

£3m upfront plus St.Mirrens percentage paid by Celtic which is also lower than 33% by the way, Petrie has been quoted in the past as saying so. 
Scott Allan permanent.

Done deal and I'll drive him there myself after riding his arse senseless for being the gorgeous man that he is.

Edited by Cumdog35

8 minutes ago, Cumdog35 said:

When you consider Celtic just got 7m for Armstrong who had a year left on his deal and less Scotland caps than McGinn I think the following offer is fair;

£3m upfront plus St.Mirrens percentage paid by Celtic which is also lower than 33% by the way, Petrie has been quoted in the past as saying so. 
Scott Allan permanent.

Done deal and I'll drive him there myself after riding his arse senseless for being the gorgeous man that he is.

As pointed out it's 33% on profit Hibs paid £120,000 anything above that is 33%. . 

9 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

As pointed out it's 33% on profit Hibs paid £120,000 anything above that is 33%. . 

No that is simply not true. Believe whatever you want but I trust that Petrie wouldn't lie to Hibs fans at an AGM.

23 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Sunderland "a shitey team" ? That's a bit rough, Seniorsoup. They are still a big club,  What have they done to upset you ?  (I suppose they did sell McCoist to Rangers )

McGeough did after all join Hibs when they had just been relegated so maybe, after having to fight for a place at Celtic, he likes to go where pressure and expectations are not too high ?

Anyway, as a Jambo, I have to say that if you ask me which of McGinn/Allan/McGeough causes the most concern, it's in that order. McGinn always causes chaos, Allan can sometimes slice you open, McGeouch plays pretty triangles but in places too deep to cause bother. If Hibs can keep hold of  the other two they will have done very well.

You clearly haven't been paying much attention to the recent developments at Sunderland.  The club is a mess having just been relegated twice and being saddled with Premier League wages for garbage players.   I'm sure McGeouch will do fine for them but when they sack Ross in a few months and go a different direction he could find himself on the outside looking in like what happened to Barrie McKay at Nottingham Forest

Edited by senorsoupe

2 hours ago, Munoz said:

More Scotland caps than Stevie May. May didn't make the grade in England and ends up at Aberdeen and Kenny McLean improves year on year and is now off to England. 

With the Saints being out the top division the last few seasons I've not really kept up to date with The Sainteeees flourishing youth academy. I'm sure it must be streets ahead of ours , eh ? 

Three of our youth products will be first team starters next season, and we blooded two u17s in the first team last season. 

Totally irrelevant though, as I'm not here claiming theyd "walk" into Celtic's starting line up. 

1 hour ago, Cumdog35 said:

No that is simply not true. Believe whatever you want but I trust that Petrie wouldn't lie to Hibs fans at an AGM.

So Petrie wouldn't lie to Hibs fans at an AG M but Gilmour would lie to Saint MIRREN  Fans at our meeting  Give yourself a shake .