9 minutes ago, AndyM said:

He should have been offered an improved deal some time back with an option to consider any offer that hits a buy out clause and LJ said as much.

Said this elsewhere -

Hibs model is supposedly to develop younger players and sell them on for a profit, yet here we are in the position of losing RP for (next to) nothing.

Surely it would have made more sense to push the boat out 18 months ago, pay him a high salary with a release clause that protected both parties? This for a player that came through our academy.

Meanwhile, in the parallel universe that is Hibs we are spending a pile of cash on young, untried players in the hope that one of them comes good and makes us money.

Once more, it feels like the Gordons dont have a clue how to run Hibs and without a proper, professional DoF or similar we will be lurching from shambles to shambles for years.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Aye, very odd to release a statement announcing it.

Not really. We know he's going and it's just a way we can force the hand of whoever (most likely an English Championship side) is about to go in with a Pre Contract to cough up some dough and take him now rather than wait toll June.

11 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Not really. We know he's going and it's just a way we can force the hand of whoever (most likely an English Championship side) is about to go in with a Pre Contract to cough up some dough and take him now rather than wait toll June.

I don’t really agree. It just weakens Hibs’ hand in my opinion. There’s a reason announcements like this aren’t common at all.

Lot of chest pumping from my fellow m9s on this thread, but the fact is this - Porto is a phenomenal defender (a fact acknowledged subconsciously by the multitude of Sevco, Hearts and Aberdeen fans who try their utmost to claim the opposite), and if we lose him we are at serious risk of a relegation battle

7 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Lot of chest pumping from my fellow m9s on this thread, but the fact is this - Porto is a phenomenal defender (a fact acknowledged subconsciously by the multitude of Sevco, Hearts and Aberdeen fans who try their utmost to claim the opposite), and if we lose him we are at serious risk of a relegation battle

I don’t think anyone on this thread have commented on his ability, just stating it’s odd to release a statement about it.

14 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Porto is a phenomenal defender (a fact acknowledged subconsciously by the multitude of Sevco, Hearts and Aberdeen fans who try their utmost to claim the opposite)

Applying your own logic, Porto is an embarrassing thug (a fact acknowledged subconsciously by the multitude of Hibs fans who try their utmost to claim the opposite).

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf it also tells clubs they can get him for free in June.

If theres a chance hes signing a new deal then clubs might try to jump the gun and pay a fee in January incase they miss out if he extends his deal. Now everyone will be chucking larger offers at his agent to secure him on a PCA (which he can now sign) rather than giving any money to Hibs.

Interesting to see how it plays out but i dont think its a smart move from Hibs to announce this, any bidding war will be directed at the agent/player.

I suppose from Hibs' perspective the hope is that this bidding war of everyone launching offers at his agent results in a couple of sides deciding the clincher is saying "we'll come and get you now rather than in the summer." It's the only way the statement makes sense.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I don’t really agree. It just weakens Hibs’ hand in my opinion. There’s a reason announcements like this aren’t common at all.

Weakens our hand from a position where we already know he isn't signing an extension and intends leaving for nothing in May?

His agent has already told other clubs he is offski so the only people this comes as a surprise to are (non Hibs) football fans.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I suppose from Hibs' perspective the hope is that this bidding war of everyone launching offers at his agent results in a couple of sides deciding the clincher is saying "we'll come and get you now rather than in the summer." It's the only way the statement makes sense.

Only an absolute moron club would chuck 6 figures at Hibs instead of simply offering the agent substantially more money, and ultimately thats what it'll come down to now.

A CB isnt a match winner so the chances any club is absolutely desperate to sign him, to the point of just tossing away £100k+, is incredibly slim. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only an absolute moron club would chuck 6 figures at Hibs instead of simply offering the agent substantially more money, and ultimately thats what it'll come down to now.

A CB isnt a match winner so the chances any club is absolutely desperate to sign him, to the point of just tossing away £100k+, is incredibly slim. 

We're likely talking about English Championship or top end League One clubs here. Clubs at that level have spent actual money on Clayton Donaldson and James Collins.

19 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Weakens our hand from a position where we already know he isn't signing an extension and intends leaving for nothing in May?

His agent has already told other clubs he is offski so the only people this comes as a surprise to are (non Hibs) football fans.

Like I said, there’s a reason that these announcements aren’t made very often. It signals there is no way back to everyone, even if privately Hibs already knew that was going to be the case.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Like I said, there’s a reason that these announcements aren’t made very often. It signals there is no way back to everyone, even if privately Hibs already knew that was going to be the case.

I agree - but like I said, its been an open (not very) secret for some time. When I heard he had been offered the same money as Boyle and hadnt signed, we all knew the jig was up.

I dont think that Hibs are trying to force some bidding war (thats hilarious whoever said that !) and agree its an unusual situation to issue a statement.

My suspicion is that they all know where he is going, and it will happen as soon as the window opens.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

We're likely talking about English Championship or top end League One clubs here. Clubs at that level have spent actual money on Clayton Donaldson and James Collins.

Eoin Doyle. Chesterfield to Cardiff. Transfer fee was...

...One Million Pounds (say that in a Dr Evil voice)