17 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

The way he's been playing he should have been dropped in October.

So our 2 best players one of which is out for the rest of the season and the other wants to leave. Bring on the 2 loanees from Fleetwood Town and Macclesfield Town to replace them. 

Seriously don't trust Ian Gordon to replace those 2 players. 

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Crazy to release it in a statement IMO.

It's not exactly news to anyone connected with Hibs that he wasn't signing.....and obviously not news to his agent 😁.

All this does is tell clubs he's available in January rather than have him hanging round til May.

(Imv)

16 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

So our 2 best players one of which is out for the rest of the season and the other wants to leave. Bring on the 2 loanees from Fleetwood Town and Macclesfield Town to replace them. 

Seriously don't trust Ian Gordon to replace those 2 players. 

Porteous contract should have been dealt with one way or the other in the summer, but unfortunately Ian Gordon was too busy handing out 5 year deals to Sunday league jobbers.....

40 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

It's not exactly news to anyone connected with Hibs that he wasn't signing.....and obviously not news to his agent 😁.

All this does is tell clubs he's available in January rather than have him hanging round til May.

(Imv)

Tbf it also tells clubs they can get him for free in June.

If theres a chance hes signing a new deal then clubs might try to jump the gun and pay a fee in January incase they miss out if he extends his deal. Now everyone will be chucking larger offers at his agent to secure him on a PCA (which he can now sign) rather than giving any money to Hibs.

Interesting to see how it plays out but i dont think its a smart move from Hibs to announce this, any bidding war will be directed at the agent/player.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

(Imv)

Just puts unnecessary pressure on a player who is hot headed at the best of times 😂

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If theres a chance hes signing a new deal then clubs might try to jump the gun and pay a fee in January incase they miss out if he extends his deal. Now everyone will be chucking larger offers at his agent to secure him on a PCA (which he can now sign) rather than giving any money to Hibs.

Interesting to see how it plays out but i dont think its a smart move from Hibs to announce this, any bidding war will be directed at the agent/player.

Makes no difference, as Porteous and his agent are free to talk to other clubs from 1 January, all an interested club needs to do is contact the agent and will find out that he has no intention of signing an extension.

So it makes little difference as far as Hibs are concerned. I expect most Hibs fans will want rid of him in the window.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I would agree that if we had thought he was going to sign an extension and this all came out the blue.

Its been pretty clear for weeks (months tbf) that he most likely wont be signing one, and his agent in all probability has a PCA lined up for him already - and based on how he has been playing his head is already elsewhere. 

Hibs are just trying to force the issue, and if he doesnt leave in Jan then I would (reluctantly) hope he was dropped.

11 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Just puts unnecessary pressure on a player who is hot headed at the best of times 😂

Hibs have offered him a lot of money to sign an extension, he doesnt want to do that - his choice - so if any pressure exists, its been brought on by the player himself.

48 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Hibs have offered him a lot of money to sign an extension, he doesnt want to do that - his choice - so if any pressure exists, its been brought on by the player himself.

Close to being our best paid player if rumours are to be believed. I’m fucking delighted he’s not signing it if that’s true. Nowhere near worth that kind of money.

I cannot say I am surprised, shocked or annoyed by Porto refusing anew contract.  He should have been offered an improved deal some time back with an option to consider any offer that hits a buy out clause and LJ said as much.

However, we are where we are. I have no issue with him seeking a fresh challenge at all as he will likely treble or quadruple what Hibs were offering him on his "improved deal" by moving to an English Championship club or going abroad. He's now a name that Steve Clark considers in his international squads and he deserves a better platform to play on than our League.  From a personal point being away from the online mouth-frothers and west coast agenda hacks will do him the world of good.

There are parallells with the John Soutar situation last year of a young, talented, international defender on freedom of contract choosing their next option. I'm far from convinced Soutar made the right choice.  Porto is a very good player, that's not up for debate. The right coaching structure and the right club could make him even better.