On 15/11/2022 at 10:54, Leith Green said:

Nice work by Hibs social media guys

Very tastefully done and sad to hear about Jim O'Rourke's passing.  He was always one of these 'thorn in the side' sort of players who loved to roast defenders.  Plus he and Stanton seemed to mesh almost telepathically.  Mind you, Pat Stanton was a very, very classy player.

16 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Very tastefully done and sad to hear about Jim O'Rourke's passing.  He was always one of these 'thorn in the side' sort of players who loved to roast defenders.  Plus he and Stanton seemed to mesh almost telepathically.  Mind you, Pat Stanton was a very, very classy player.

Stanton and O'Rourke played in the same school team together and the pair of them basically went from school into the Hibs first team in 1962-63.

Staggering when you think of it.  

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

Stanton and O'Rourke played in the same school team together and the pair of them basically went from school into the Hibs first team in 1962-63.

Staggering when you think of it.  

I didn't know that - but I also hasn't realised that O'Rourke had played at Hibs from such a young age.  BTW, what was the feeling among the Hibernian Loyal when he was replaced by the enigma that was Joe Harper?  Careful what you say now lest you make @kingjoeygreet.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I didn't know that - but I also hasn't realised that O'Rourke had played at Hibs from such a young age.  BTW, what was the feeling among the Hibernian Loyal when he was replaced by the enigma that was Joe Harper?  Careful what you say now lest you make @kingjoeygreet.

Pretty sure Hibs fans did not appreciate Kingjoey. That was good news for us though, as it hastened his return to Pittodrie. 

Just seen your updated hospitality suites. All pretty impressive and you'd expect a decent return to happen soon enough.

Can I ask the names, Albion Bar, Tornadoes, Pioneer do they hold a certain significance, if so what?

Edinburgh Club and Emerald Suite - no explanations necessary  

2 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Just seen your updated hospitality suites. All pretty impressive and you'd expect a decent return to happen soon enough.

Can I ask the names, Albion Bar, Tornadoes, Pioneer do they hold a certain significance, if so what?

The Albion Bar was a wee pub in Albion Road next to the ground. It became a corner shop later on 

14 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I think the word you are looking for would be "mixed". It's fair to say some fans absolutely hated him. When Harper arrived from Everton he was overweight and out of condition. The fact that Jimmy O'Rourke had been let go to St Johnstone did not sit well with the fans. Jimmy repaid the favour by scoring against Hibs the first game back in a 1-0 win for the Saints.

Harper pissed Eddie Turnbull off by turning up after the summer with a full beard and was told by Eddie in no uncertain terms to go and get a shave. A Tache was acceptable but beards were a real no at Hibs at the time. Harper did score a lot of goals for Hibs when he slimmed down a bit but the fans never took to him and he got dogs abuse from the Main Stand especially. He was eventually shipped off to Pittodrie where he'd wanted to be for years anyway, unmourned at ER.

It was just one of those things, some players fit certain clubs, Harper didn't fit at ER, whereas he did at Pittodrie.

Edited by AndyM

12 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

'Tornadoes' = Turnbull's Tornadoes

'Pioneers' is, I'm guessing, a reference to Hibs being the first British team to play in the Eurpean Cup in the '50's.

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

See we only have the west stand and the section behind the goals in the famous five open for the Middlesbrough friendly next Saturday. 

Friendlies are generally absolute pants with each side using about 22 players over the course of the game so I'm not surprised.

As it's late November it'll likely be cold and pissing with rain so it's not surprising that for some fans watching the Qatar farce in a warm pub or in their house is a better option.

Edited by AndyM

6 hours ago, AndyM said:

Friendlies are generally absolute pants with each side using about 22 players over the course of the game so I'm not surprised.

As it's late November it'll likely be cold and pissing with rain so it's not surprising that for some fans watching the Qatar farce in a warm pub or in their house is a better option.

Imagine spending actual money, that you had to earn, going to a Hibs v Middlesbrough friendly.

11 hours ago, AndyM said:

Pubs are fucking magic on a cold day. Especially old wooden ones with no tellies and only two types of beer on tap. Dirty tartan carpets. Roaring fire. Bar stools. 

Sorry. As you were. I have young kids, I miss the pub. 

Edited by The Other Foot

5 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Imagine spending actual money, that you had to earn, going to a Hibs v Middlesbrough friendly.

Usually I would be the mug and pay to attend these home friendly games but I’m not bothering my arse this time round. Feel literally fed up with Hibs at the moment. 

On 17/11/2022 at 08:37, AndyM said:

I think the word you are looking for would be "mixed". It's fair to say some fans absolutely hated him. When Harper arrived from Everton he was overweight and out of condition. The fact that Jimmy O'Rourke had been let go to St Johnstone did not sit well with the fans. Jimmy repaid the favour by scoring against Hibs the first game back in a 1-0 win for the Saints.

Harper pissed Eddie Turnbull off by turning up after the summer with a full beard and was told by Eddie in no uncertain terms to go and get a shave. A Tache was acceptable but beards were a real no at Hibs at the time. Harper did score a lot of goals for Hibs when he slimmed down a bit but the fans never took to him and he got dogs abuse from the Main Stand especially. He was eventually shipped off to Pittodrie where he'd wanted to be for years anyway, unmourned at ER.

It was just one of those things, some players fit certain clubs, Harper didn't fit at ER, whereas he did at Pittodrie.

I was at that game and did he not get a good reception from the Hibs fans when the teams came out. He was a great player for us. RIP Jimmy.