I can see both sides of the Porteous debate.

On the one hand, he is a decent player who is comfortable on the ball and he deserves every credit for his superb performance on his international debut last night. He fully justified Steve Clarke's faith in him and, along with Jack Hendry and Aaron Hickey, was a major factor in why Scotland gained the point we were after.

None of that alters the fact that he is prone to the odd brainfart from time to time. It really is pointless denying this, since there's plenty of evidence available to support it, however unpalatable that might be to Hibs fans. Hopefully, he'll mature and cut those incidents out of his game, but until he does, the jury's still out.

It doesn't detract from the fact the young man can be extremely proud of himself for last night and can hopefully kick on from that springboard.

9 hours ago, GreenGray said:

Hopefully that performance tonight puts to bed what Hibs fans have been trying to tell fans of other teams for a while now. Porteous is a brilliant player.

The 5 live analysis of his play has been picked up in this article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63054105

It picks out his pass accuracy (although seems to have missed the one he put straight out the park in the last 5 mins !), interceptions and tackles.

Being honest, he had a difficult start to the season, playing on the left as Hanlon was out - although it was perhaps useful as he had to play in that position last night - but has been very good ever since he went back to RCH.

Its not a surprise that some fans only focus on those bits they see on highlights on a Saturday night, whereas we see him week in week out and can comment on more of his all round play.

There was lots of support from fans of other clubs on here last night, plus Premier and Sportscene.

Sportsound still didnt have much positive to say about him, what a shock..................

10 hours ago, GreenGray said:

Hopefully that performance tonight puts to bed what Hibs fans have been trying to tell fans of other teams for a while now. Porteous is a brilliant player.

He was absolutely terrific but it's going to take more than one game to change opinion.

If he's playing at that level for his country then he really should be able to put in a similar performance for Hibs week in, week out.

I think last night showed that Porto would benefit from a move away from Hibs if he wants to reach some of the potential he’s shown.

He’s been in the team for 4 seasons and had 4 different managers, some utter shite at that. He’s never had a good experienced leader alongside him for a prolonged period to learn the positioning and organisational side of defending (other than an ageing McGregor sporadically). 

One week with a top quality coach and with international level players and he’s put in his best performance for a long time. He must be looking at McKenna and thinking now might be the time to have a go at down south. 

10 hours ago, GreenGray said:

Nobody really doubts he is a good player. He has shown he is a very capable defender.

Look at the game in Paisley a few weeks ago, he nearly cost your team a few goals with his ridiculous play acting. Falling over when getting muscled off the ball, looking for a foul. Surely Hibs fans can see when he's at it he can be a liability?

Delighted that he had a barn storming game last night. We certainly needed him to step up, and he did. Some tackle at the end too.

Porteous has always been a very good player at this level (although I’ve never felt great), it’s just become very funny to take the piss and it is true he doesn’t always help himself. 

Dare I say it in a game last night, on that stage he was never going to do anything too daft or get involved in nonsense he shouldn’t. I sometimes think the nonsense of the spfl gets to him at times. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

The 5 live analysis of his play has been picked up in this article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63054105

It picks out his pass accuracy (although seems to have missed the one he put straight out the park in the last 5 mins !), interceptions and tackles.

Being honest, he had a difficult start to the season, playing on the left as Hanlon was out - although it was perhaps useful as he had to play in that position last night - but has been very good ever since he went back to RCH.

Its not a surprise that some fans only focus on those bits they see on highlights on a Saturday night, whereas we see him week in week out and can comment on more of his all round play.

There was lots of support from fans of other clubs on here last night, plus Premier and Sportscene.

Sportsound still didnt have much positive to say about him, what a shock..................

You're not the only one*, but sometimes fans only hear what they want to hear to confirm their perceptions of bias.    From BBC Sport.

"We were raising eyebrows before the game about Porteous," former Scotland striker Steven Thompson said on Sportsound. "That challenge at the end was so important, so brave. I'm pleased for him."

Former Scotland winger Neil McCann added on Sportscene: "There would've been a lot of questions. But Porteous was a lion. Yes, his emotion sometimes takes over, but I like the kid. He showed at international level he doesn't look out of place."

Ryan Porteous: How Hibs centre-back delivered Scotland 'debut to remember' - BBC Sport

* I will confess to having been guilty of this too, exercising my birthright as a fitba fan to be unreasonable at times 😁

Edited by Parttimesupporter
Typo

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tbf McKenna saved his nonsense for the Colombian fat head which I think is totally fair. 

Disagree, it’s not just his head that’s fat.

I think McKenna suffered from what even Van Dijk had issues with in Scotland. Used to dominating carthorse players in the league then would struggle with the odd time they have to make the significant step up. Scotland for McKenna, Europe for Van dijk. 
Porteous is a bit different though where he can have a brain fart more often against any level of opposition really and I don’t know how you really iron that out, could just end up being the Scottish Titus Bramble but I think he does need to leave Scotland soon to develop more.

Edited by gannonball

Another very enjoyable watch today, delighted to see Ginto back in the side. Got stuck in too. McKirdy could be the new Riordan. Big Myk looks the business too. 

All of this without Rocky/Mitchell/Dabrowski/McGeady/Bojang/Melkersen/Nisbet/McLelland/Mackay/Tait/JDH still.

Mon the Ron 😉 

He was absolutely terrific but it's going to take more than one game to change opinion.
If he's playing at that level for his country then he really should be able to put in a similar performance for Hibs week in, week out.

How do you think he ended up getting selected for Scotland in the first place? Yes injuries are in the squad but he wouldn’t be there if he didn’t deserve it.

Nobody really doubts he is a good player. He has shown he is a very capable defender.
Look at the game in Paisley a few weeks ago, he nearly cost your team a few goals with his ridiculous play acting. Falling over when getting muscled off the ball, looking for a foul. Surely Hibs fans can see when he's at it he can be a liability?
Delighted that he had a barn storming game last night. We certainly needed him to step up, and he did. Some tackle at the end too.

I’ve heard and see many refer to him as “shite” they’re either lying to themselves or form their football opinions from sport sound and Twitter.

He is good at winning fouls, I wouldn’t want him to change the way he plays as that makes him the player he is. You can take the occasional mistake when he plays as well as he does, no
Players goes their whole career without making mistakes, his just seem to get analysed more than others for some bizzare reason.

8 minutes ago, GreenGray said:

How do you think he ended up getting selected for Scotland in the first place? Yes injuries are in the squad but he wouldn’t be there if he didn’t deserve it.

🤣

Considine, Devlin and Declan Gallagher were all selected for Scotland whilst at Aberdeen. You'd struggle to justify any of them being a part of the squad when selected.

[emoji1787]
Considine, Devlin and Declan Gallagher were all selected for Scotland whilst at Aberdeen. You'd struggle to justify any of them being a part of the squad when selected.

Your point being?

If you watched Porteous play against your team then for Scotland and STILL think he’s not a good player, based on those performances I don’t think football is the sport for you.

1 minute ago, GreenGray said:

Your point being?

If you watched Porteous play against your team then for Scotland and STILL think he’s not a good player, based on those performances I don’t think football is the sport for you.

I've never said he's not a good player.

The Hibs boys on here were critical of his performances this season. 

Only Celtic have conceded fewer goals than us so far, and our forward line are only now starting to click.

I was "a wee bit concerned" around the time of the League Cup matches

Spoiler

in truth, my toys were completely trashed and slung miles out the pram

but we are starting to play exactly how LJ told us - our attacking stats are fantastic and we just need to turn the complete domination into comfortable wins.

Brilliant to see Magennis getting some minutes today - once everyone is back, we are going to be a very, very good team to watch.