Aiden McGeady gets abuse for picking Ireland over Scotland in the same way as Ryan Jack gets abuse for leaving Aberdeen for Rangers.

If "one of your own" leaves for a rival you'll slag them for it.

Absolutely zero shock Celtic fans are trying to claim its anything more.

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I wasn’t talking about just his individual experiences

I was meaning people with an Irish background in general within Scotland when making the comparison to Asian Scots

I apologise for the confusion with that one

The abuse is certainly not just a football related thing either imo

I do genuinely believe the vast majority of Scots don’t care about it, we are slowly moving on as a society.

But as always it’s the noisy minority that stand out amongst the silent majority 

The point is though, the ant-Irish bigotry doesn’t really apply in McGeady’s case, no matter how much he wants to try and pretend it does. He isn’t Irish, for a start. He would have received just as much abuse if he was a good player who had a Lithuanian grandparent, and chose to play for them, at a time when Scotland were crying out for good players. 

It cheapens the very real anti-Irish bigotry that his grandparent will most likely have suffered if he/she had moved here when they were younger. Same as the bigotry South Asian people received when arriving here, and for generations later right up to today.

McGeady’s story is different. He should not be receiving anti-Irish abuse, but thankfully that will be from the noisy minority that you refer to. 

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Anyways guys would love to keep the discussion going but I’ve got a book to read about these plastic jocks

BAE5C53D-6BFC-4AF8-AF04-076D793326A8.jpeg

I seriously doubt many Scots nor people of Scots descent give a f**k if someone calls them “Jock”. I thought that was my granddad’s name until I was about ten, because that was his nickname in the RAF and that’s what my Irish grandmother always called him.

Edited by Kyle Reese

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

Anyways guys would love to keep the discussion going but I’ve got a book to read about these plastic jocks

BAE5C53D-6BFC-4AF8-AF04-076D793326A8.jpeg

It's really annoying me that on the cover of a book about Scotland, they've used a map of the UK and Scotland is completely out of focus.

0/10. Would not read.

6 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

I seriously doubt many Scots nor people of Scots descent give a f**k if someone calls them “Jock”. I thought that was my granddad’s name until I was about ten, because that was his nickname in the RAF and that’s what my Irish grandmother always called him.

Just a wee joke, was trying to lighten the mood a little 

Just now, Clown Job said:

Just a wee joke, was trying to lighten the mood a little 

Fair enough, man. I’ll bow out. I probably shouldn’t be spending this much time on a Mini-Celtic thread, anyway. 😄

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Fucking hell lads, 4 pages of this utter shite 🤪

Indeed, let’s wrap it up by concluding that mcgeady is a wee Diddy faux-Irish weirdo and hibs are just a Diddy wee Celtic. 

We all shake hands and move on. 

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aiden McGeady gets abuse for picking Ireland over Scotland in the same way as Ryan Jack gets abuse for leaving Aberdeen for Rangers.

If "one of your own" leaves for a rival you'll slag them for it.

Absolutely zero shock Celtic fans are trying to claim its anything more.

Aye. If Dembele had actually been decent then he'd have received a heap of hassle for choosing England over Scotland etc etc.

EDIT: The Arfield comparison is wild. He's never been good enough for Scotland and chose to represent Canada due to this.

McGeady would have been one of our best players at the time.

Edited by Merkland Red