1 minute ago, AJF said:

I think that’s it. Nobody is saying he isn’t good, I just felt the whole “he was unfairly overlooked for Scotland” argument is nonsense because he clearly was not deserving of a Scotland cap before Australia called him up.

Was Dykes good enough or this Jacob Brown dude nobody had heard of? You could have capped Boyle and claimed him but never mind, we'll see him in Qatar not sure about Dykes and Brown. 

2 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Was Dykes good enough or this Jacob Brown dude nobody had heard of? You could have capped Boyle and claimed him but never mind, we'll see him in Qatar not sure about Dykes and Brown. 

Are they comparable?

Dykes and Boyle wouldn't be competing for position, while Brown is 5 years younger than Boyle and was introduced with a view to the future.

Just now, Kima Greggs said:

McBurnie has 16 caps, Nisbet 10 and Burke 13 caps. I don't think it's particularly ludicrous to suggest that Boyle might have had a similar amount.

As ridiculous as it is for Mcburnie and Nisbett have so many caps (they shouldn’t have personally) they are for the more focal point role which we were crying out for where Boyle would be playing off them like Fraser/Forrest/Christie have been.

Also Burkes hardly had any caps I think since the time frame you are talking about.

6 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:

McBurnie has 16 caps, Nisbet 10 and Burke 13 caps. I don't think it's particularly ludicrous to suggest that Boyle might have had a similar amount.

And do you think any of them are good enough to be anything other than a squad player for Scotland?

The fact that Boyle is compared against players like McBurnie, Burke, McNulty, Phillips and Russell says it all for me. Each of these players have had Scotland fans crying they aren’t good enough for the team. Boyle would’ve just been another that may have got a few caps but ultimately just a squad player.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are they comparable?

Dykes and Boyle wouldn't be competing for position, while Brown is 5 years younger than Boyle and was introduced with a view to the future.

Boyle can and does play striker, just a better football player than Dykes all round without question. Irony is Dykes should be the roos player and not Boyle.

Brown might be a future player but I know who I would rather see running at tired Ukrainian defenders at Hampden. I reckon Clarke knows also.

Edited by Snifter Pee Rot

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As ridiculous as it is for Mcburnie and Nisbett have so many caps (they shouldn’t have personally) they are for the more focal point role which we were crying out for where Boyle would be playing off them like Fraser/Forrest/Christie have been.

Also Burkes hardly had any caps I think since the time frame you are talking about.

Burke has had 8 of his 13 caps since Boyle declared for Australia... 

Tbf the injury problems I mentioned earlier are probably the big issue. He was just recovering, McLeish talked about calling him up before he had a relapse of the injury, he missed another squad or two and went for Oz. Don't think it's as much a "being overlooked" at all. 

1 minute ago, AJF said:

The fact that Boyle is compared against players like McBurnie, Burke, McNulty, Phillips and Russell says it all for me. Each of these players have had Scotland fans crying they aren’t good enough for the team. Boyle would’ve just been another that may have got a few caps but ultimately just a squad player.

Lol that's some magical thinking man. All of these players have been in squads despite being no up to it and been continued to be selected due to a lack of options. The whole point of this discussion is whether Boyle merited addition, not whether he would have been a marked upgrade. I don't think there's really an argument against that and bemoaning the general shiteness of our forwards is actually an argument in his favour! 

6 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Boyle can and does play striker, just a better football player than Dykes all round without question.

I'm sorry but if you're genuinely trying to claim that Boyle could take Dykes role in the Scotland team then you're an absolute fucking moron.

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Lol that's some magical thinking man. All of these players have been in squads despite being no up to it and been continued to be selected due to a lack of options. The whole point of this discussion is whether Boyle merited addition, not whether he would have been a marked upgrade. I don't think there's really an argument against that and bemoaning the general shiteness of our forwards is actually an argument in his favour! 

That’s not really what sparked the debate.

My initial points were:

1) Boyle was not performing to a level that merited a Scotland cap while McLeish was in charge

2) If he were to be included in this current set up, he would not be a regular starter

That’s what started the whole debate because someone laughed at the thought that Boyle wouldn’t be a starter.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sorry but if you're genuinely trying to claim that Boyle could take Dykes role in the Scotland team then you're an absolute fucking moron.

I didn't say he would start in Dykes place you smart arsed little Perth tramp. He'd be the perfect impact sub in the last twenty minutes UP FRONT. Now kindly gtf to whatever rathole you came from. 

Just now, AJF said:

That’s not really what sparked the debate.

My initial points were:

1) Boyle was not performing to a level that merited a Scotland cap while McLeish was in charge

2) If he were to be included in this current set up, he would not be a regular starter

That’s what started the whole debate because someone laughed at the thought that Boyle wouldn’t be a starter.

Fair enough, I don't think there's really much question over point 1, given what's been discussed. Unless you've only watched him in the last couple of years he at least merited a chance prior to his declaring for Australia, as McLeish himself seemed keen prior to injury. I think becoming the best attacker outside the OF the last 2 years has blinded people to how good he's been since we were promoted generally. Was terrific in multiple roles in 17/18 as we got to 4th. Injuries for the next two years maybe cause people to forget that. 

I don't think anyone serious would argue with point 2 tbh, certainly I wouldn't. Maybe if he was at his present level when Scotland were at our most shite but even then probably no more than a squad player. 

1 minute ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

He'd be the perfect impact sub in the last twenty minutes UP FRONT. Now kindly gtf to whatever rathole you came from. 

So you agree that Boyle isn't good enough to start for Scotland and all we've missed out on is an impact sub who wouldn't even be needed in every game.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So you agree that Boyle isn't good enough to start for Scotland and all we've missed out on is an impact sub who wouldn't even be needed in every game.

Thanks.

You are on this occasion correct but as a fan of St Johnstone I'd suggest you STFU about other fan's fanciful notions of their player's ability to impact Scotland squads tbh 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thanks.

Wouldn't be needed in every game? What fucking Scotland have you been watching recently you headbanger? We're lacking pace and goals and Boyle brings that. His Roos record speaks for itself.

Enjoy the Championship next season at Legoland. Where your mob belongs btw.