1 minute ago, AJF said:

At no point was Boyle good enough for Scotland while McLeish was in charge. The whole “most improved player” argument kind of supports he wasn’t at that level. Even now, I doubt he’d be in the starting lineup.

It was the same with Arfield under Strachan tbh. He could have given him a cap possibly at one point but he knew he was only ever going to be a squad filler at best.  Both could have selfishly called up the players but knew they could have had international careers elsewhere and it wouldn’t have been right.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aside from the fact that Scotland don’t play with wingers, who do you believe he’d displace from our team?

There are - 100% - games where he would have started, either on the right, or up front (where he also has a great record). Its called a squad because managers can select different formations and even - shock horror - adjust formations during matches.

You are deluded if you think otherwise or that because we "dont play with wingers" that would have precluded him from playing for the Scotland team.

Also, we would have got a lot more penalties....................

49 minutes ago, AJF said:

At no point was Boyle good enough for Scotland while McLeish was in charge. The whole “most improved player” argument kind of supports he wasn’t at that level. Even now, I doubt he’d be in the starting lineup.

image.thumb.gif.57095092fb9adb5ebef19cfe074aa500.gif.348d40313ab1ef27545d7c3d12fd4c4d.gif

Scotland have missed out.

Martin Boyle has been our most improved player in the SPFL era - perhaps even in the past 20-30 years.

He came to us like Ivan Sproule, with raw pace and blistering acceleration but no end product.

Don't remember him?

Since his debut, he has improved on every aspect of his game to the extent where he has become invaluable to Hibs.

By adding better passing and finishing to his game, he has went from a winger/wing-back to a versatile Jack-Of-All-Trades (Master Of Most). A forward that brings the entire team forward.

I won't begrudge Boyle of a move, although it will leave us without our best player in recent seasons.

His H**-Hammering Hampden Heroics will always be remembered: the Deady Bears that he ripped apart will forever be etched in my memory.

His most memorable moment, apart from his contribution on the pitch will always be his post-final bender in which he racked up records for the amount of days he spent out celebrating with the fans.

Like the hair on his beautiful dome

He vanished then returned to our Easter Road home

If he stays, The Hibees will be thrilled

If he leaves, he leaves with our best wishes

(And the scalps of the ***s he killed)

©Mon Dieu

Edited by Mon Dieu

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

There are - 100% - games where he would have started, either on the right, or up front (where he also has a great record). Its called a squad because managers can select different formations and even - shock horror - adjust formations during matches.

You are deluded if you think otherwise or that because we "dont play with wingers" that would have precluded him from playing for the Scotland team.

Also, we would have got a lot more penalties....................

As I said before, in my opinion, he was not at the level deserving of a Scotland cap while McLeish was in charge and despite the extent of his improvement, I wouldn’t see him being anything other than a squad player in today’s team.

That is likely more to do with the improvement in our squad. Drop the current Martin Boyle in the Scotland squad of 3/4 years ago, then aye, maybe he’d get a few starts. Now? Not so much.

Edited by AJF

has Ron knocked back the Saud mob on Boyle? If it is 3m I'd be tempted to take it tbh although I remember when we sold Sproule and replaced him with Alan O'Brien - ouch! The cash could go a long way at Hibs mind. 

edit: Ron playing hardball. 4m is the price Mohammed!

Edited by Snifter Pee Rot

has Ron knocked back the Saud mob on Boyle? If it is 3m I'd be tempted to take it tbh although I remember when we sold Sproule and replaced him with Alan O'Brien - ouch! The cash could go a long way at Hibs mind. 

You are an absolute slaver of the highest level.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

At no point was Boyle good enough for Scotland while McLeish was in charge. The whole “most improved player” argument kind of supports he wasn’t at that level back then. Even now, I doubt he’d be in the starting lineup.

Boyle is the type of player that would have got a call up for a friendly or something. 

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:
6 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

You are an absolute slaver of the highest level.

I was part joking about Ron holding out you buffoon. No imagination you gunt thickos. 

14 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He’s not even got in to double figures for Australia 

They've only played 20 internationals since world cup 2018, He was also injured during the Asian Cup in 2019. Scotland have played 32 games in that time.

9 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

He is not signing for your mob however much your redtop meedja want it. 

I’ll live thanks

7 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:

They've only played 20 internationals since world cup 2018, He was also injured during the Asian Cup in 2019. Scotland have played 32 games in that time.

The idea that Boyle would play/appear in every second game since 2018 (ignoring injury) is pretty ludicrous tbh.

ETA - for the record I rate the guy just think you are going a bit St.Johnstone here about his potential Scotland career.

Edited by gannonball

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’ll live thanks

The idea that Boyle would play/appear in every second game since 2018 (ignoring injury) is pretty ludicrous tbh.

ETA - for the record I rate the guy just think you are going a bit St.Johnstone here about his potential Scotland career.

I think that’s it. Nobody is saying he isn’t good, I just felt the whole “he was unfairly overlooked for Scotland” argument is nonsense because he clearly was not deserving of a Scotland cap before Australia called him up.

While Boyle has certainly added a goalscoring ability in the past two seasons, he's been one of the most dangerous players in the league since 17/18, before some injury disruption, so its obviously overstated how much he has improved in very recent memory. You're taking the piss if you don't think a team which largely plays counter attacking football couldn't have used him against much of Scotland's opposition in that time. Equally, anyone suggesting he's ever been good enough to be more than a squad player is taking the piss. I'm sure he's more than happy getting a few visits fully funded down under a year, for a team who regularly make world cups and continental competitions tbh. Can't say I blame him. 

Given some of the wide men and forwards who have played under McLeish and Clarke it's not really debatable he could've made a decent contribution

Eta lol just looked it up and McLeish called up Mark McNulty and was still handing out caps to confirmed nae users like Matt Phillips and Johnny Russell so you lot are at it

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

9 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’ll live thanks

McBurnie has 16 caps, Nisbet 10 and Burke 13 caps. I don't think it's particularly ludicrous to suggest that Boyle might have had a similar amount.