1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Doesn’t seem to be going away but I just can’t see it myself. Would have made more sense in Summer when we needed that type of player more and would have been cheaper. Can’t see us forking out the cash being claimed for a guy that age that relies on pace and has had a bad knee injury.

I think from what I've seen of you guys this year he could handily rotate for any of your first choice front three. The age thing would be the big turn off obviously

1 hour ago, Kima Greggs said:

3 mil plus Mikey Johnston is a great deal imo.

One of our best fees ever and a promising replacement? I think so too. If Maloney is really planning to play the 3421 then I'm not sure it's a natural fit for Boyle anyway, don't know if he's good enough in some aspects to play as one of two 10s rather than a winger, and Maloney must be hoping he can get a tune out of Nisbet again. Mueller and Melkerson will have been brought in to play as well. His age, injury history and pace being (one of, it's overstated to say he relies on it) his main attribute means there could easily come a point where he's a very expensive ornament. 

1 hour ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I wouldn't be opposed to cashing in on Boyle despite him being our best player. I think we need to get into the habit of cashing in and reinvesting when the time permits, and as said for a footballer who relies on pace coming to the end of his career then it might be the right choice, if a hard one. Combined to the fact that Celtic are likely to finish above us anyway, regardless of Boyle, I wouldn't begrudge it. 

Whether Johnstone is the right player to come the other way I'm not so sure.

Looking further back it was rumoured Christie would have been the makeweight in the McGinn deal. Whilst McGinn's career has certainly benefited more from going to Aston Villa than was likely at Celtic, it's likely we could have benefited more by having Christie up until this point than we otherwise have. Albeit if we ever see anything for McGinn's sell on clause that may change my thinking, but I reckon he's too happy at Villa for that to be in the thinking at this point in time. 

Some good points there. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Reckon it’s looking more and more likely Boyle will be away before the end of the month. Big money on offer for him in the Middle East. If we can get over £2m for him I wouldn’t complain.

Hallberg being linked with St Johnstone today too. 

Honestly can’t begrudge Boyle a move to be honest, he’s signed 2 new contracts with us when he could have walked away for more cash.

If he wants to go and we can get £2-3m, I would be okay with letting him go, it would weaken us significantly but obviously if our new boys are decent and we can bring someone else in with some of that money, maybe a bit younger, similar to our other signings, it’s probably not bad business with Boyles age too.

Wish him all the best if he is to go, definitely the most improved player I’ve ever seen at Hibs and probably one of the best too, definitely in the same category as Brown, McGinn etc.

48 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Thoughts on Hallberg?

He’s been with us for 2 years and I still have absolutely 0 idea what he’s meant to be good at.

He looks like a player but that’s about it, passing is average, can’t tackle, isn’t creative, doesn’t dribble the ball, just an average average player, like Slivka without the strength/powerfulness/goals against the old firm.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Agreed but still wasnt good enough for Scotland according to some...................

image.png.a7c664abfb9b6f3ae048a5a61db110b8.png

At no point was Boyle good enough for Scotland while McLeish was in charge. The whole “most improved player” argument kind of supports he wasn’t at that level back then. Even now, I doubt he’d be in the starting lineup.

Edited by AJF