Came into this season with as much optimism as I've had in a while. Shame how things have been the last couple of weeks, wonder if Tait and Mueller can change things up come January, or the players I rated so highly a month or so ago can start performing again. 

Anyone with a keener eye capable of diagnosing what's gone wrong? 

On 28/10/2021 at 23:29, Chefki Kuqi said:

Came into this season with as much optimism as I've had in a while. Shame how things have been the last couple of weeks, wonder if Tait and Mueller can change things up come January, or the players I rated so highly a month or so ago can start performing again. 

Anyone with a keener eye capable of diagnosing what's gone wrong? 

Not sure about keener eye but Doidge's injury left us in a hard place, Scott looked a decent short term replacement that hasn't worked and Gullan has disappointed again. If there was an offer for Nisbet we should have taken it and got a couple of higher quality replacements. This is probably the easiest solve as Mueller joining and Doidge being back over Christmas should give us options again.

The recruitment at the back was dreadful in the summer. Can't remember which game it was but it's shameful that we recently had a back 4 with McGregor, Stevenson and Hanlon still starting. Being cut throat 2 of those shouldn't even be at the club anymore let alone starting important games. There's also no good cover for McGinn who most could have predicted would struggle to carry on last year's form, and Doig is struggling. We essentially just need quite a lot of new and good defenders. 

Midfield is an area which hasn't been talked about much but where we also look short/unbalanced. Newall aside who I still think is very good we have Allan, Magennis and Doyle-Hayes who are all good enough to play depending on the formation and opposition, and sone really shite back ups. We need a Baningame/Fuchs/Ferguson style player who is able to dominate the midfield. I hoped this was what Irvine would provide last year but a few games aside he was a bit of a disappointment or farmed out to the left and obviously got his move to Germany. Not sure what the other options are rather than plucking someone from relative obscurity.

Finally, the manager lacks the ability that the best managers have at this level to arrest a slide, whether within games or in runs. We had a few good come from behind results at the start of the year but as soon as form drops I have no confidence in us to come back from even a 1 goal deficit. 

That's my thoughts anyway. Maybe a question of giving out daft contracts to players who weren't first team quality than a lack of investment I'm not sure, but we've ended up with a squad that looks threadbare in parts and bloated with useless bodies in others and a manager who is good but not great and will likely never win us a cup or regularly beat the OF. 

13 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Not sure about keener eye but Doidge's injury left us in a hard place, Scott looked a decent short term replacement that hasn't worked and Gullan has disappointed again. If there was an offer for Nisbet we should have taken it and got a couple of higher quality replacements. This is probably the easiest solve as Mueller joining and Doidge being back over Christmas should give us options again.

The recruitment at the back was dreadful in the summer. Can't remember which game it was but it's shameful that we recently had a back 4 with McGregor, Stevenson and Hanlon still starting. Being cut throat 2 of those shouldn't even be at the club anymore let alone starting important games. There's also no good cover for McGinn who most could have predicted would struggle to carry on last year's form, and Doig is struggling. We essentially just need quite a lot of new and good defenders. 

Midfield is an area which hasn't been talked about much but where we also look short/unbalanced. Newall aside who I still think is very good we have Allan, Magennis and Doyle-Hayes who are all good enough to play depending on the formation and opposition, and sone really shite back ups. We need a Baningame/Fuchs/Ferguson style player who is able to dominate the midfield. I hoped this was what Irvine would provide last year but a few games aside he was a bit of a disappointment or farmed out to the left and obviously got his move to Germany. Not sure what the other options are rather than plucking someone from relative obscurity.

Finally, the manager lacks the ability that the best managers have at this level to arrest a slide, whether within games or in runs. We had a few good come from behind results at the start of the year but as soon as form drops I have no confidence in us to come back from even a 1 goal deficit. 

That's my thoughts anyway. Maybe a question of giving out daft contracts to players who weren't first team quality than a lack of investment I'm not sure, but we've ended up with a squad that looks threadbare in parts and bloated with useless bodies in others and a manager who is good but not great and will likely never win us a cup or regularly beat the OF. 

Yeah in all honesty despite being a big fan of Doidge I thought we might actually play better this season with just one up top in Nisbet with Murphy and Boyle off the sides, clearly though that hasn't worked with Murphy injured and Boyle quite understandably not being able to score every single week. As you say though come January we'll have reinforcements, looking forward to Tait in particular who my Rovers pal rates highly.

Agree completely on the back line, really struggled to add to that over the Summer and you'd have thought for our level and with the money available there would have been some decent-ish options available, albeit if the idea was to get a nailed on star then I guess we'd have needed the Doig money, which I was fairly content to receive at the time.

Used to be a big Newell fan but I think he's abit too tidy and unadventurous in a three. When he first moved to the middle I thought he was like Tottenham's Moussa Dembele reincarnated in SPL form, but that seems to have dropped off now. I think he's good in a dynamic two, weirdly I think him and Hallberg played quite well together - a decent mix of solidity and take more attacking responsibility when its just the two. Ideally I'd like to see us line up with JDH, Magennis and Tait come the new year, but I think for Newell I'd give Josh Campbell more of an opportunity in order to provide more competition. 

Would agree on Jack. I've been a fan over the years but I'm starting to think with Alex Neil available maybe we'd be best gambling. He's done a decent if not outstanding job with us over his nearly two years, but it we're very much floating into the territory of nearly-men under him. If Neil wasn't available I'd be happy to keep Jack but if I'm comparing Newell to Dembele then I may as-well make the equally absurd comparison from Neil to Conte, think he's a galvaniser and with things being flat if not terrible at the moment, I think we'd benefit from a shot in the arm. 

To go back to an earlier point regarding Josh Campbell I just don't think we're giving youth enough of a chance, albeit with Doig being the exception. From my perspective I'd like to see Campbell, Dabrowski and if he were still here Bradley given more of an opportunity, albeit I don't know too much more about the rest or if the one's I've mentioned even have the quality. I just think if things are stale giving select youth players a chance gives fans something to be excited about. If they do something of note, perfect, might even stake a claim. If not then at-least they can see what they need to develop to make it.  

2 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

https://theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2021/11/hibs-the-greenest-club-in-scotland/

Doesn't say it in the article, but we can assume that Greta is now a Hibee. 

I would burn several tons of coal and throw a few auld tyres on if it meant we could have a win in our next fixture......................

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I would burn several tons of coal and throw a few auld tyres on if it meant we could have a win in our next fixture......................

Or with the money we are saving buy a centre forward and a player with some creativity instead of the exact same mould of midfielder for years. 

49 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Dear god what is our club becoming man? 

I like it 🤷‍♂️

They can keep their ridiculous telly screens and strange Bitcoin schemes. But this carbon neutral malarky actually seems very positive. 

On the other hand, it would be nice to have a football team to watch. 

Edited by The Other Foot

1 minute ago, The Other Foot said:

I like it 🤷‍♂️

They can keep their ridiculous telly screens and strange Bitcoin schemes. But this carbon neutral malarky actually seems very positive. 

Fair do's .  I wish we concentrated on actual football for a wee change instead of all this lets all pat ourselves on the back shite, it's too hertz for me. 

Instead of bumming up a Vegan kiosk how about focusing on why it takes about 40 mins to get a freezing cold pie or to be told there's nae juice left for the average punter and improving that shit?  

Edited by Hoose Rice