5 hours ago, SDG2 said:

See Ron Gordon's son is now head of recruitment. Obviously they didnt actually announce it, they just hid it away on the club website under the club directory.

imageedit_4_7281660122.jpg

18 hours ago, SDG2 said:

See Ron Gordon's son is now head of recruitment. Obviously they didnt actually announce it, they just hid it away on the club website under the club directory.

It’ll be announced next week (I’m guessing) along with confirmation that Mathie won’t be replaced. Sounds like Kensell is taking on the part of the job that Mathie struggled with.

Not delighted with the news about Ian Gordon. Hopefully he’s just doing the admin work while the folk with actual qualifications get on with finding the players. 

On 09/10/2021 at 16:11, Leith Green said:

Cant get too bothered about this.

If he bring in a few North American or Peruvians to improve the squad it works for me.

Really don't get why the majority of Hibs fans are worrying here. 

10 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Really don't get why the majority of Hibs fans are worrying here. 

I dont think they really are, certainly none of my mates have even mentioned it.

As always, there are a few twats on social media soiling themselves.

Still, at least it gives that new "try hard" jambo on here something to get moist about 👍

Sectarian abuse, wonder who from?

Sickened by the vitriol aimed at his player, Hibs manager Ross has hit back strongly at the tone taken by some of his critics and shone a light on the personal abuse Porteous has suffered as a result.

“I think those who have that platform need to be careful not to exaggerate or misrepresent things,” said Ross. “I have seen what a 22-year-old had to deal with because of that.

“It was a tackle, that’s all it was. People can have their opinion on how bad a tackle it was, that’s football, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the way there was a complete misrepresentation of it by people who used inflammatory language without thought. It definitely stoked a stronger reaction.

“His disciplinary record last season was outstanding but people don’t want to hear that. In the current climate, when we are quick to highlight some other forms of abuse, it is terrible what he has had to put up with.

“He is a young man, who has had to deal with the professional disappointment of the way the game panned out but it is the other stuff he has had to deal with that’s inappropriate and we shouldn’t wash over it as though it is acceptable. The abuse, and people talking about him dying, that goes beyond the pale.”

As the incident was heavily-debated in the following days, former Hearts boss Craig Levein suggested it may not be long before reckless challenges land players in court and, taking it all in, Ross said he was astounded by the ensuing narrative.

“Some people discussed it in a rational, balanced manner, as you would expect. But some people didn’t and blew it all out of proportion,” he added.

"Because of that a 22-year-old was subjected to the most dreadful abuse in the aftermath. I have seen it and it is disgusting. I have seen sectarian abuse, homophobic abuse, people telling him they hope he dies of a tumour.

“You can say that came in the aftermath of the incident or you can say it is in the aftermath of the way some people spoke about it but I have to be protective of him.”

There were check-up calls in the hours and days that followed and despite Gerrard’s assertion that Porteous “let his manager down and his teammates down”, Ross hit back.

“Ryan didn’t let me down, he knows that. I’m there to make my players better so it’s not about me. He is a young man who has made over 100 appearances for Hibs and he loves this club and wants to bring success. He will always come back stronger.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...action-3418291

23 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Sectarian abuse, wonder who from?

Sickened by the vitriol aimed at his player, Hibs manager Ross has hit back strongly at the tone taken by some of his critics and shone a light on the personal abuse Porteous has suffered as a result.

“I think those who have that platform need to be careful not to exaggerate or misrepresent things,” said Ross. “I have seen what a 22-year-old had to deal with because of that.

“It was a tackle, that’s all it was. People can have their opinion on how bad a tackle it was, that’s football, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the way there was a complete misrepresentation of it by people who used inflammatory language without thought. It definitely stoked a stronger reaction.

“His disciplinary record last season was outstanding but people don’t want to hear that. In the current climate, when we are quick to highlight some other forms of abuse, it is terrible what he has had to put up with.

“He is a young man, who has had to deal with the professional disappointment of the way the game panned out but it is the other stuff he has had to deal with that’s inappropriate and we shouldn’t wash over it as though it is acceptable. The abuse, and people talking about him dying, that goes beyond the pale.”

As the incident was heavily-debated in the following days, former Hearts boss Craig Levein suggested it may not be long before reckless challenges land players in court and, taking it all in, Ross said he was astounded by the ensuing narrative.

“Some people discussed it in a rational, balanced manner, as you would expect. But some people didn’t and blew it all out of proportion,” he added.

"Because of that a 22-year-old was subjected to the most dreadful abuse in the aftermath. I have seen it and it is disgusting. I have seen sectarian abuse, homophobic abuse, people telling him they hope he dies of a tumour.

“You can say that came in the aftermath of the incident or you can say it is in the aftermath of the way some people spoke about it but I have to be protective of him.”

There were check-up calls in the hours and days that followed and despite Gerrard’s assertion that Porteous “let his manager down and his teammates down”, Ross hit back.

“Ryan didn’t let me down, he knows that. I’m there to make my players better so it’s not about me. He is a young man who has made over 100 appearances for Hibs and he loves this club and wants to bring success. He will always come back stronger.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...action-3418291

Well out of order that any player is the subject of such abuse, be it homophobic, racist or sectarian. There’s been more than enough of that in recent times, sadly. At my own club there was Skacel, Nade, Kingston and Dikamona in recent times. Unfortunately it’s something that is endemic in society, and as a cross section of that society, it will often rear its ugly head when large crowds gather. Social media is just a virtual version of that.

Again, no player should be subject to that sort of abuse. Bang out of order.

Back on topic however, Ryan Porteous is a truly woeful defender in the mould of James McPake. His whole style appears to be to try and niggle and get involved with the opposition, and if that fails, make a last minute dangerous lunge. Who knows, he might be half decent if he just concentrated on being a better player instead. A few morons sending footballers racist or homophobic abuse is a separate matter, and they should be prosecuted for it. Ryan on the other hand needs stop endangering other professionals with his dangerous performances on the park. No amount of diversion tactics from Ross will change that. 

Edited by Kyle Reese

17 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Well out of order that any player is the subject of such abuse, be it homophobic, racist or sectarian. There’s been more than enough of that in recent times, sadly. At my own club there was Skacel, Nade, Kingston and Dikamona in recent times. Unfortunately it’s something that is endemic in society, and as a cross section of that society, it will often rear its ugly head when large crowds gather. Social media is just a virtual version of that.

Again, no player should be subject to that sort of abuse. Bang out of order.

Back on topic however, Ryan Porteous is a truly woeful defender in the mould of James McPake. His whole style appears to be to try and niggle and get involved with the opposition, and if that fails, make a last minute dangerous lunge. Who knows, he might be half decent if he just concentrated on being a better player instead. A few morons sending footballers racist or homophobic abuse is a separate matter, and they should be prosecuted for it. Ryan on the other hand needs stop endangering other professionals with his dangerous performances on the park. No amount of diversion tactics from Ross will change that. 

You obviously don’t watch him at all on the 2nd point.

Honestly with Porteous, I do get some of the negativity towards his rashness at times, but comparing to McPake just isn’t it.

They both do like a tackle and are happy leaving one on an opponent but the similarities end there.

Porteous’ biggest attribute for me is in the way he carries the ball out of defence and carries the team up the pitch, his passes that break the lines from centre half to our strikers is what begins the majority of our attacks.

As much as I liked him as a character and a captain during his time at Hibs, he was never that.

14 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

Trying way too hard here pal.

Not sure I follow. You obviously know that Jack Ross is employing the tried and tested PR job with Porteous? Same PR job that Martin O’Neil did with Lennon, was used to protect Ricksen when he was getting a reputation for fouling, and more recently Brendan Rogers with “Brownie” and Gerrard with Morelos.

A player starts to get noticed for reckless and dangerous play, and a manager needs to react quickly, to try and divert opinion, so as to avoid that reputation hurting his team’s chances. That is what Ross is doing here. Seems fairly obvious to me.

18 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

You obviously don’t watch him at all on the 2nd point.

Honestly with Porteous, I do get some of the negativity towards his rashness at times, but comparing to McPake just isn’t it.

They both do like a tackle and are happy leaving one on an opponent but the similarities end there.

Porteous’ biggest attribute for me is in the way he carries the ball out of defence and carries the team up the pitch, his passes that break the lines from centre half to our strikers is what begins the majority of our attacks.

As much as I liked him as a character and a captain during his time at Hibs, he was never that.

The McPake comparison is 100% his habit of having to make last ditch lunges. Often a danger to the opponent on the receiving end.

Edited by Kyle Reese

2 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Not sure I follow. You obviously know that Jack Ross is employing the tried and tested PR job with Porteous? Same PR job that Martin O’Neil did with Lennon, was used to protect Ricksen when he was getting a reputation for fouling, and more recently Brendan Rogers with “Brownie” and Gerrard with Morelos.

A player starts to get noticed for reckless and dangerous play, and a manager needs to react quickly, to try and divert opinion, so as to avoid that reputation hurting his team’s chances. That is what Ross is doing here. Seems fairly obvious to me.

Everyone loves a tough tackling  centre back or player until he plays against their team. Older Hearts fans still reminisce about Neil Berry breaking Paul Wright's leg almost 30 years ago. Gerrard was still trying to stamp on opponents in his mid thirties.

He was booked 5 times in 38 matches last season as part of the 3rd best defence in the league. Your mewlings about him have all the energy of a middle class mum complaining that her precious son might get hurt as there's a boy being too rough at the soft play.

18 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

Everyone loves a tough tackling  centre back or player until he plays against their team. Older Hearts fans still reminisce about Neil Berry breaking Paul Wright's leg almost 30 years ago. Gerrard was still trying to stamp on opponents in his mid thirties.

He was booked 5 times in 38 matches last season as part of the 3rd best defence in the league. Your mewlings about him have all the energy of a middle class mum complaining that her precious son might get hurt as there's a boy being too rough at the soft play.

I remember the Berry tackle you mention.

The point is, whether you or I agree with his style being acceptable or not, it has started to attract the attention of officials and the press. Ross is attempting to counter that, by backing his player, and trying to divert attention away from his on-field actions. You can surely see that? 

I’m not sure how I feel about the gentrification of the game in this regard to be honest. I get frustrated when officials ruin good games, especially derbies, with over officious performances. I actually agree with most Hibs supporters on their point about Rangers players getting away with similar challenges and not being punished. That’s where I am on the matter. Either gentrify the game, or allow a more robust style. Don’t make it one rule for one team, and another for the next.

For example, the OF commit 15 fouls on average before getting a card, for the rest it’s around six or seven. There needs to be blanket application of the rules.

For me, Porteous’ style goes beyond robust and edges in to dangerous. He needs to rein it in a bit. Some of his challenges are definitely dangerous to other players.

6 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

For example, the OF commit 15 fouls on average before getting a card, for the rest it’s around six or seven. There needs to be blanket application of the rules.

Just in the context of this point made, I came across an interesting graphic. Granted it’s a smaller sample size than a full season, but some interesting results nonetheless.

7F381BDD-AFB5-4BB3-A207-77A1EAE0D33B.jpeg