1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I was convinced Wotherspoon would be the next player off the production line to go for millions.

Turns out he was a spineless non-entity.

Perhaps, but a favourite of mine for this alone. 

https://youtu.be/JSn0M4kaDa8

The fucking release when that went in.  

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I was convinced Wotherspoon would be the next player off the production line to go for millions.

Just needed a bit of love, IMO.

We've had a couple of horrendous spells in his time with us but its generally him who drives us out the rut. Last season it was him who refused to give in against Hamilton and drove us on, scoring twice, as we finally won a game.

We then struggled until he became a regular, at which point we put in top 6 form.

Past week a fine example. Bottom of the league, two potentially banana skin ties, who steps up? Wotherspoon, in CM then on a wing.

Gets better with age.

He also tops World football in terms of ball rolls per touch aswell.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just needed a bit of love, IMO.
We've had a couple of horrendous spells in his time with us but its generally him who drives us out the rut. Last season it was him who refused to give in against Hamilton and drove us on, scoring twice, as we finally won a game.
We then struggled until he became a regular, at which point we put in top 6 form.
Past week a fine example. Bottom of the league, two potentially banana skin ties, who steps up? Wotherspoon, in CM then on a wing.
Gets better with age.
He also tops World football in terms of ball rolls per touch aswell.

It really does amaze me how the same defenders season after season get made to look incredibly stupid by his ball rolls. The number of players he’s sat on their arse is unreal, never forget the time he made John Souttar look like he played Sunday league football.

I’m all here for the Spoony appreciation.

9 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Spineless? Not a word I would associate with Spoony. Certainly didn't live up to the expectations and potential he had but only he can explain why he didn't make the step up that his technical ability merited. He still shows glimpses for Saints of what he is capable of but is still a mystery to me why he hasn't acheived what he could have in the game.

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Too young to have seen Gotskallson, Ma Kalamby, Zibi in action I take it...

I am and they made some right fuckups.

I am also old enough to have seen Goram, and Leighton and Alan Rough in action as well but - hey - dont let facts get in the way of your story.

As @Ludo*1 says, we have a very good keeper who occasionally makes mistakes - if he didnt make mistakes he would be playing in England.

n.b. A cursory google would tell you that goalkeepers from many Scottish clubs have fucked up over the years, but of course that doesnt play into your "Hibs Goalkeeper Curse" nonsense.

Just want to clear up two things on this thread:

(1) David Wotherspoon, though far from being the most formidable footballing genius in Scotland, has never been 'spineless'. Bizarre statement. 

(2) Rocky Marciano is the best goalkeeper playing in Scotland at this moment in time. There's not a huge gap between him and second place (Alan McGregor) but there is a gap nonetheless.

Very happy for Paul (and its well deserved) but at this rate I will be getting the call for the Forfar match...........

Marciano, McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon, Doig, Gogic all involved with their national teams (or in Doigs case isolating due to the Billy Stark issue).