Former chairman Tom O'Malley has died

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/former-hibs-chairman-tom-omalley-passes-away-after-lengthy-illness-2956440

Lifelong fan and former Hibs chairman Tom O’Malley passed away on Friday following a lengthy illness.

The former head teacher of St David’s RC High School at Dalkeith joined the Hibs board in 1991. He was a staunch supporter of the Hands Off Hibs campaign which eventually thwarted Hearts chairman Wallace Mercer’s attempts to merge the Capital clubs and when Tom Farmer completed his takeover of the Easter Road side, O’Malley was appointed as one of the directors.

Months later – and much to O’Malley’s delight – the club won the Skol Cup final, lifting silverware for the first time in almost 20 years.
He later replaced Lex Gold as chairman after the club was relegated in 1998, telling fans that “there is now one of their own in charge of the club”.

“I saw my first Hibs match back in 1946,” he said at the time. “I have been around this club a long time. I know it’s history, it’s culture. The club is in safe Hibernian hands.”

An amiable figure who was awarded the OBE for services to education, he did stir up some controversy in the wake of that relegation by suggesting supporters may see a season in the second tier as “an adventure”, but he was forgiven as the team - under the guidance of manager Alex McLeish – clinched promotion at the first time of asking.

Just five days after Hibs were presented with the First Division trophy, though, he announced he was stepping down, claiming that with the club’s top flight status regained and plans in place for the club’s future, the time was right for him to retire into a “life of relative obscurity”.

Due to ill health he was unable to attend Hibs’ momentous 2016 Scottish Cup final triumph, but he was able to lift the trophy when the Persevered Tour made a special stop at his home.

Current chairman Ronald J Gordon said: “Everyone at the club is saddened by the news. I didn’t ever have the pleasure of meeting Tom O’Malley, but those who knew him tell me he was devoted to the club and a real gentleman. Our thoughts are with his family and his friends.”

12 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Murphy signed.

That is a decent signing for Hibs. 
Would much rather had Murphy than Hastie but we probably could not afford his wages. 
Hibs and Aberdeen shaping up to have best squads outside the Old firm this season. Expect them to finish in 3rd and 4th place this season. 

39 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

right so we refused to play Rangers game for McCrorie and now we've changed our tune for Murphy?

Just baited Aberdeen to sign Mcrorie.  Like we did with Ojo and Vela.  Ok that one never worked out but this times different.

I don't really mind the loan then signing thing it's the idea we were not prepared to sign McCrorie on terms that meant we couldn't play him vs Rangers but now with Murphy we are?
Still I guess I was half right about the next player after Boyle signing his extension being a loan.
My suspicion would be that Murphy is on significantly higher wages than Mccrorie was so the finances probably wouldn't work for outright signing him. We'll be paying a percentage of his wage rather than all it for the next season then he moves onto a new Hibs wage.

The reason for the loan to buy is 100% that we don’t want him playing against us this season.

We told Hibs this was the deal for McCrorie too, they tried to negotiate a straight sale so we sold him to Aberdeen instead. Hibs presumably didn’t want to take the risk this time so just accepted the terms.

This’ll be the way Ross Wilson sells every player to a Premiership side. It’s a marginal gain for us.

The reason for the loan to buy is 100% that we don’t want him playing against us this season.
We told Hibs this was the deal for McCrorie too, they tried to negotiate a straight sale so we sold him to Aberdeen instead. Hibs presumably didn’t want to take the risk this time so just accepted the terms.
This’ll be the way Ross Wilson sells every player to a Premiership side. It’s a marginal gain for us.
Don't disagree that it suits Rangers better, but Murphy was out of contract next summer, and presumably would be on a higher wage which would be the difference to Hibs. Rangers will be paying a bit of his wage that they wouldn't be this season. Finances probably dictated Hibs accepting it for Murphy when they didn't for Mccrorie.

55 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
1 hour ago, G51 said:

Don't disagree that it suits Rangers better, but Murphy was out of contract next summer, and presumably would be on a higher wage which would be the difference to Hibs. Rangers will be paying a bit of his wage that they wouldn't be this season. Finances probably dictated Hibs accepting it for Murphy when they didn't for Mccrorie.

It definitely works better for Hibs too aye. They make a saving in exchange for him sitting out 4 games.

Everybody wins.