Incident at London Bridge

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Facebook gives individuals a platform to spout racism and intolerance.  However, Britain is actually one of the most positive countries in Europe in terms of views of Muslims.

The Pew Research Centre conducted studies of how people in various European countries view Muslims.  The UK had the lowest number of people with an unfavourable view of Muslims, among all the countries surveyed.  http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/07/11/europeans-fear-wave-of-refugees-will-mean-more-terrorism-fewer-jobs/

The results for Greece are fairly hair-raising.

52 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think what's frightening about the fact that the Manchester bomber and at least one of the attackers from Saturday were reported is the fact that there will be thousands of people reported like this every year.  Expanding the capacity of police and security services to investigate and take action against people reported to them is one answer but that will raise other questions.

Regarding suicide belts, the ones they were wearing apparently looked obviously fake.  Also, explosives won't necessarily explode if hit with a bullet and most suicide bombs don't cover the entire torso.

Are there standard issue suicide belts? I would have thought most of these things were amateurishly assembled and not all likely to look the same, and very difficult for anyone to detect the genuine from the fakes

I'm delighted with the action the police took, and the outcome - especially given that they had literally only seconds to decide the potential dangers involved in taking these guys out. Surely though, there was an element of a risk of many more fatalities had these guys managed to blow themselves up? Was it a calculated risk, or did they just get lucky here?

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Are there standard issue suicide belts? I would have thought most of these things were amateurishly assembled and not all likely to look the same, and very difficult for anyone to detect the genuine from the fakes

I'm delighted with the action the police took, and the outcome - especially given that they had literally only seconds to decide the potential dangers involved in taking these guys out. Surely though, there was an element of a risk of many more fatalities had these guys managed to blow themselves up? Was it a calculated risk, or did they just get lucky here?

If you are dealing with a suicide bomber the best way to deal with them is to kill them as soon as possible.  Killing them drastically reduces the risk of their bomb being detonated.  What's the best way to kill them?  Well, in the UK at least the standard is to fire into a suspects torso, it's a bigger target than a head shot or trying to incapacitate.  There is a risk that shooting the attacker could see them trigger the bomb as the shock of being shot causes their hand to tighten or something like that, as well as the danger that a bullet could trigger the bomb.  I'd say they both lower risk than having a live suicide bomber.

You also have to balance the danger to passers by - apparently someone was injured by a stray round in this incident.  In Northern Ireland during several operations completely innocent people were killed by police and Army, for example in Loughall.  

32 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Facebook gives individuals a platform to spout racism and intolerance.  However, Britain is actually one of the most positive countries in Europe in terms of views of Muslims.

32 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The results for Greece are fairly hair-raising.

I've twice had chats with (different) groups of Greeks who insisted I'm not really British because I'm not white.

3 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'm not really British because I'm not white.

You'll be next for deportation. Or your family will end up in our "own Guantanamo" mate.

Unlucky.

I've twice had chats with (different) groups of Greeks who insisted I'm not really British because I'm not white.

Do any Scottish or British people ever insist this to you?

7 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Where would you like deported to? We'll let you choose because we like you. That other lot should be sent somewhere cold though.

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Where would you like deported to? We'll let you choose because we like you. That other lot should be sent somewhere cold though.

Hey, I want deported somewhere nice too..!!

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Scenes in the Middle East today, with pretty much everyone cutting diplomatic ties with Qatar over their support for terrorism.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-gulf-qatar-energy-idUKKBN18W0HS?il=0

This is also to do with Qatar moving towards a closer relationship with Iran.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/qatar/secret-qatari-iranian-meeting-held-in-baghdad-report-1.2033141

11 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

This is also to do with Qatar moving towards a closer relationship with Iran.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/qatar/secret-qatari-iranian-meeting-held-in-baghdad-report-1.2033141

I'm sure it's all about that, their support for Sunni extremists has nothing to do with it, they're all at it. They're also miffed at Al Jazeera's fairly neutral coverage over things like the Yemen conflict.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure it's all about that, their support for Sunni extremists has nothing to do with it, they're all at it. They're also miffed at Al Jazeera's fairly neutral coverage over things like the Yemen conflict.

Correct. With the spotlight on the Saudis for recent events in Europe, they're trying to shift blame and perhaps generate a casus belli for war. With the region already destabilised in Syria/Iraq and Yemen and the massive US bases in Bahrain and Qatar it's a tinderbox about to go up.

Decent article here ....

http://www.newsweek.com/what-saudi-arabia-going-do-its-arms-buildup-569277

Archived