"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

It is possible to be a good coach and not a very good manager.

Nail on the head, in any line of work you can pass on all sorts of tips and pitfalls to guys but careful and subtle man management is the key to achieve success, without that know-how you will struggle to maintain any team in any job.

20 hours ago, PB1994 said:

I really like MacKay and think he will become a really good player in the premiership but this doesn’t really bother me, as he ain’t going to be here next season and if we do happen to make the playoffs it’s a great option to have off the bench or to swap things about about with a lot of games coming up.

I've been massively underwhelmed by MacKay since his return. His touch and control have been really poor. He's still young but I was hoping we'd really see him kick on what with being back in familiar surroundings and all that but he's looked poor most weeks and I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him rock up at Elgin in a few seasons time unless he improves significantly. 

Edited by RiG

4 minutes ago, RiG said:

I've been massively underwhelmed by MacKay since his return. His touch and control have been really poor. He's still young but I was hoping we'd really see him kick on what with being back in familiar surroundings and all that but he's looked poor most weeks and I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him rock up at Elgin in a few seasons time unless he improves significantly. 

I expected / hoped that some Easter Road coaching might've kicked him on but my guess is that injuries and lost opportunities have dented his confidence. There's still time but the fact that he's now not getting a game is a bit sad really.

That's enough emoting on his behalf.

What I cannot accept is his actions yesterday. Four times whilst doing what subs do behind the goals, he gathered the ball and quickly returned it to play. Why in the name of the wee man would a professional footballer, whilst being in the possession of a two goal lead, want to hurry up proceedings?

Come to think of it, that little cameo might say an awful lot.

Ach well, we'll always have that nutmeg on Vigurs right in front of Uncle Roy.

I’m hearing news that St Mirren are recalling Jay Henderson. 

Hope that’s ok.

Can’t have him helping you win the Scottish cup and putting us out of European competition.

I’m joking. Good luck!

Edited by Molotov

12 hours ago, Molotov said:

I’m hearing news that St Mirren are recalling Jay Henderson. 

Hope that’s ok.

Can’t have him helping you win the Scottish cup and putting us out of European competition.

I’m joking. Good luck!

I believe that Jay Henderson's contract with St Mirren ends this summer and that St Mirren want to extend but I also heard that Jay, who has shone for us, is holding out for a big club to come along and his agent is working to that end for him.

4 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I believe that Jay Henderson's contract with St Mirren ends this summer and that St Mirren want to extend but I also heard that Jay, who has shone for us, is holding out for a big club to come along and his agent is working to that end for him.

Yeah. Doesn’t surprise me. I think St Mirren management offered him a contract to protect the development fee. 
Personally I’d have preferred him to return and play games with us but it seems he is not in our current managers plans. 😢 

On 10/04/2023 at 09:24, Molotov said:

Yeah. Doesn’t surprise me. I think St Mirren management offered him a contract to protect the development fee. 
Personally I’d have preferred him to return and play games with us but it seems he is not in our current managers plans. 😢 

Possibly the best old fashioned winger we’ve had since Jonny Hayes. Boy is absolute quality. 

Absolutely incredible how shite we’ve been this season at times and still in with a shout of the playoffs. After the QP game in November I had genuine fears of relegation.

Jay Hendersons been quality since he came in, and I need to hold up my hands up about Nathan Shaw who is much improved in the second half of the season and I may have given him some pelters earlier in the season. 

• Joint top in October.

• Suffer injury crisis (it was a crisis) and therefore we slump down the table.

• Injured players return, they get up to speed and now we’re on a great run.

My argument was never whether Dodds is good or bad, I am well aware he has limitations and he should certainly take some blame. I simply said injuries were the main catalyst for our bad run this season, this current good run certainly proved me correct.

Sleep tight Boo Boys!

54 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Straight red is one game is it not? If it’s not violent conduct. 

50 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Oh is it? I assumed it was an 2 or 3 game ban as it was straight red. Hopefully you’re right.

Serious foul play (assuming that’s what it was?) is a 2 game ban as well.

10 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

• Joint top in October.

• Suffer injury crisis (it was a crisis) and therefore we slump down the table.

• Injured players return, they get up to speed and now we’re on a great run.

My argument was never whether Dodds is good or bad, I am well aware he has limitations and he should certainly take some blame. I simply said injuries were the main catalyst for our bad run this season, this current good run certainly proved me correct.

Sleep tight Boo Boys!

I’m happy to have been proven wrong. I’ve still got my reservations about Dodds, but if he gets a new deal he’ll 100% get my backing.

11 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

He’s done nothing to deserve a new deal. Battling for 4th going into the last few games of the season isn’t an achievement.

Yep, 2 seasons of a really poor standard of team in the league and with the squad and experience we had last year not getting promoted was a failure.  This season has been worse, the last 3 weeks doesn't mask the fact.

You cant go October to February without a win 2 seasons in a row and expect to be kept on.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, 2 seasons of a really poor standard of team in the league and with the squad and experience we had last year not getting promoted was a failure.  This season has been worse, the last 3 weeks doesn't mask the fact.

You cant go October to February without a win 2 seasons in a row and expect to be kept on.

Totally agree, folk can point to injuries all they like but we had a pretty full squad and got beat 3-0 and 2-1 over the space of 4 days from a dire Hamilton Accies side battling relegation.

If we sneak into the playoffs and get to the final of the Scottish Cup I reckon he gets another 2 year deal. Then attendance’s will continue to fall and we’ll be even more in the shit. 

The league next year looks extraordinarily difficult on paper. Dunfermline and someone like Falkirk or free scoring Airdrie coming up to replace jobbies like Hamilton and Cove. A Ross County/Dundee United/Killie dropping down from the Premiership. If Queens (or Dundee) somehow don't go up then you'd imagine they will be battling for promotion again. The Championship has been pretty weak the last couple of seasons and now it looks like it's going to get really hard (oo er) again. I can't help but feel we are going to regret not getting out of the league last season and, possibly, this season.

17 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Totally agree, folk can point to injuries all they like but we had a pretty full squad and got beat 3-0 and 2-1 over the space of 4 days from a dire Hamilton Accies side battling relegation.

If we sneak into the playoffs and get to the final of the Scottish Cup I reckon he gets another 2 year deal. Then attendance’s will continue to fall and we’ll be even more in the shit. 

I still think missing Shane Sutherland for the whole season has affected us.  He was the best player in the league from January onwards last season.  His performances, particularly in the play off games, were brilliant.