"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

42 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Cove, Brora etc, there may be other instances of name adoption.

Not really. This is more like a random Glasgow team declaring their name to be ‘Glasgow Rangers’ or even ‘The Rangers’ to try to get some attention.

16 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Were we not called Caledonian Thistle for a bit but the SFA or whoever made us add Inverness at the front? 

I think adding the Inverness was one of the conditions of the district council contributing to the stadium.

36 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I think adding the Inverness was one of the conditions of the district council contributing to the stadium.

Correct, the Council gave us £900,000 but it was a very close vote, Inverness and Nairn entreprise contributed over half a Million for the road and I recall the Inverness Common Good fund was financially involved, plus EU money came in handy. 

The District Council soon after this became the Highland Council and I doubt that Skye, Sutherland and Caithness councillors would have approved the grant.

Edited by SandyCromarty

It still doesn’t get past the SFA rule that you can’t have the same name as a senior team.

Its amateur to say the least if we have let the trademark/copyright lapse but I read someone on Twitter suggesting that would mean we couldn’t use the name any longer if someone else took the copyright. Fairly sure that isn’t true as we can prove that we have already been using it since 1996.

34 minutes ago, lochnesscaley said:

They might be our last hope? Not protecting our trademarks seems very amateurish 

We probably didn’t gamble on some pub team rabble copying the name to be fair.

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

It still doesn’t get past the SFA rule that you can’t have the same name as a senior team.

The major issue as well is that ICT and Rossvale are in the same women's league.  Surely that's a big no no.

53 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

The major issue as well is that ICT and Rossvale are in the same women's league.  Surely that's a big no no.

Aye, very true. I had forgotten about that.

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

Aye, very true. I had forgotten about that.

The league club Rossvale split from the Rossvale Academy last year. The Academy remain and field a fifth-tier West team. Their sides i.e, the women’s team will likely still be Rossvale.

The much-discussed name change came as a requirement of the split. 

Edited by Josuke Higashikata

I'm wondering here if Rossvale might actually be serious.  Perhaps they're thinking to themselves that calling themselves Caledonian Thistle will be a good laugh and generate a bit of interest while assuming that most people know ICT as 'Inverness' anyway.  Only people in the Central Belt refer to the club as 'Inverness' - I hardly ever hear the club referred to as that up here and extremely rarely from any of our supporters.