"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

The financial benefits of a Scottish Cup win at the moment will be much bigger than the financial benefits of getting promoted. Hearts made £2.5m in prize money just for reaching the Conference League group stages, which would be guaranteed for the Scottish Cup winners. That's roughly double what you'd get for finishing bottom of the Premiership.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Getting back into the top flight and, somehow, getting established, would be my priority even over a Scottish Cup win if it was to somehow happen again. We need long term sustainability at the club and we won't get that with another five years in the Championship. 

100%, much more time in the Championship and I'm sure we are looking at part time football, our falling attendances will obviously have an affect on wages and costs.

On 13/02/2023 at 18:58, PB1994 said:

Not sure I would have been excited about playing Celtic or Rangers. It is generally a horrific experience being in the same ground as their fans.

Never mind being shoved into their ground wedges there was always the problem with the pre match drink with your scarf on and some hostility from the Rangers fans especially, the Celtic fans were a wee bit more welcoming but there was the odd one, but in Parkhead they had fans who seemed to spend more time braying at us than watching the game, and if we scored a goal........................................................................................

Ill never forget Terry Butcher at Ibrox before the game when he came out of the tunnel, totally ignoring the Rangers who were clapping him, and headed straight over to our wedge and applauded us and then turned to the Rangers fans.

Happy Days.

9 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Like Falkirk did.................

There are similar sized clubs to us like Partick Thistle who haven’t been to Hampden in over 30 years. We’ve been spoiled rotten with our success.

When I look back to my time supporting ICTFC in 30 years, I’m not going to remember a few years in the Championship. I will however never forget all the trips to Hampden. 

League seasons come and go, Cup success is eternal 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'd happily be relegated to the lower leagues if we won the Scottish Cup again.  

No way, it's the league for me. I get that Cup runs are great especially seeing as we haven't had one since Robbo was in charge. For me, I am desperate to get back to the Premiership and am always optimistic at the start of the season because I believe we're capable and last Saturday proves that point!

Hopefully we don't have to rebuild too much this summer then start strongly again and this time under a competent manager and I say that knowing that we are likely to see a change because there is no contract offer on the table for Billy yet, in fact it's exactly the same situation as with Gregor Townsend and most believe he's off after the world cup.

Sorry @SandyCromartyI know you don't like me referencing Rugby but all I'm going to say is: Stuff you lol, get used to it, I'm leaning more towards Rugby than football just now though i WILL watch our game v Kilmarnock in my strip 😛.

Edited by Caley Shaun
Silly spelling error!

9 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

Sorry @SandyCromartyI know you don't like me referencing Rugby but all I'm going to say is: Stuff you lol, get used to it, I'm leaning more towards Rugby than football just now though i WILL watch our game v Kilmarnock in my strip 😛.

God only knows where you got that idea about me and Rugby as I do like the sport.

I may have mentioned that for too many years it was localised in the borders and Edinburgh and would have beniffited if it had been more country wide, but now with clubs here in the Highlands that has been addressed.

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I may have mentioned that for too many years it was localised in the borders and Edinburgh and would have beniffited if it had been more country wide, but now with clubs here in the Highlands that has been addressed.

Wait, expanding a sport beyond the central belt has proven to be beneficial?

Who would have thunk it (not the sfa of years gone by that's for sodding sure

4 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

Wait, expanding a sport beyond the central belt has proven to be beneficial?

Who would have thunk it (not the sfa of years gone by that's for sodding sure

Of course it has, why the A9 wouldn’t have been dual carriage without the expansion of fitba…oh, wait, never mind…

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

God only knows where you got that idea about me and Rugby as I do like the sport.

They're getting you mixed up with me Sandy.

Did you think that was even possible?

However, this gives me the chance to consider that @Caley Shaun now thinks we have a chance of winning the title. Shirley with Billy this is impossible?

We are 10 points being Dundee with 13 to play. You could stick Pep in charge of us and we wouldn’t win the title.

Too far back at this stage of the season with far too many teams above us.

Edited by PB1994

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

We are 10 points being Dundee with 13 to play. You could stick Pep in charge of us and we wouldn’t win the title.

Too far back at this stage of the season with far too many teams above us.

And for the next five we have Hamilton twice, Dundee away, Ayr Utd away, and Queens Park away.

3 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

And for the next five we have Hamilton twice, Dundee away, Ayr Utd away, and Queens Park away.

Ooooft. Tough run of games post Accies who also won't be straightforward given our recent record against them.

Edited by RiG

1 hour ago, NorthStand10 said:

This Hamilton double header makes or breaks our season imo. Win the 2 matches and we are roughly 6 or 7 points off 1st / 2nd with 11 matches remaining. That is achievable.  

Thankfully we’ve never struggled against Hamilton.

In typical Caley Thistle fashion we’ll get beat off Hamilton both games then beat Dundee, QP and Ayr 

2 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

This Hamilton double header makes or breaks our season imo. Win the 2 matches and we are roughly 6 or 7 points off 1st / 2nd with 11 matches remaining. That is achievable.  

I’m not sure that it is achievable. If we were only chasing down a 6/7 point gap on one team then I’d say it was. We are chasing down 3 teams which makes it extremely unlikely.

Say we go on a great run between now and the end of the season. Winning 10 of the last 13 putting us on 62 points. You need Queens Park, Dundee and Ayr to win no more than 6 or 7 between now and the end of the season. Even less if any of them beat us in one of those three we don’t win.

You could maybe get one team to have a bad run of form and not win those games but all three? I don’t see it.

We also haven’t shown anything this season to suggest we can put that sort of run together either.

5 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

An evergreen post.