"The ICT Thread - The Championship Years"

16 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I think that land by the police station and Drakies is due to become a shop? I’m sure the locals were causing a bit of uproar as they were wanting to put a road from the distributor through to come out directly across from the school.

Lidl, plus houses, and there is major objections mainly over excess traffic usage.

The stadium will still be in the Longman for years to come as there is no assets to sell other than 70 odd years left on a lease, it could be argued that the location would be desirable for a waterfront hotel/restaurants/bar tourist area but it is already industrialised round the corner which would take the shine off it.

17 minutes ago, Snafu said:

That spot is too small and narrow for a modern football ground plus its too near residential areas which would upset the locals if they chose to sell their then devalued houses. The shinty pitch would be a no since obviously it gets used for shinty and gets used on a Saturday. I wouldn't think the council would allow a professional football club anywhere near the Bught Park, isn't there a preservation order on it or something. Why does it keep coming up every time there is a story about ICT might be moving somewhere, its a public space and should always remain a public space. Plus try to find enough parking there.

I’d imagine it gets brought up every time as it’s the only big massive field, in the centre of town, that would fit a football stadium and any other facilities needed.

23 minutes ago, Snafu said:

A small number of people mostly people whom are not from Inverness just see a big field and think it needs to be used for something other than by the general public, since it doesn't generate any money for someone or some company on a regular basis for the benefit of a few rather than for the benefit of the whole Inverness area. I would think there would be a massive uproar if it was changed in any way.

I don’t disagree with you. The amateur league plays the majority of the game there and as you mentioned before a lot of shinty is played too. Also the income from the shows etc. I can just see why it gets brought up every time talk of a new stadium is mentioned.

13 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I must be one of the few who have no problem with the current location of the stadium, its not that far away from the city center or railway. Given how far out from city and town centers some of the other stadiums around the country are it not the worst by far. Also most people take cars to the ground and park there so shouldn't be much to complain about from them on distance. I used to walk all the way from Lochardil to the stadium, so I don't really have much sympathy for anyone complaining about the walk from the train station to the ground especially when they could stop at one of the three trailers along the way for a bacon roll or some chips with curry sauce or one of the two garages on the way if they needed sandwiches or sweets.  I'm not sure if its still there but there was also a cafe upstairs in Tiso's.

I don’t think many people do have an issue with the location of the stadium. It’s the stadium itself that’s the problem, or more specifically the North and South stands. The away end at county is the perfect example of what we should have done. It’s so open and it ruins any sort of atmosphere to the game. If they had both stands behind the goal a bit steeper and 10/15 yards further forward it would be ideal. I know we can’t do much with the west stand but again if you could have a stand somewhat like the railway stand at Raith it would make it much better.

I know we have the gas line issue behind that west stand but I think you could build a roof from where the  toilets start and then make that a terracing of 10 or so rows would be ideal, especially for what the young team are wanting.

None of this will ever happen of course.

Edited by PB1994

On the rare occasion I go to Caley's stadium I just jump on the bus at the Greig St social club, £4 and you're back in the club watching the results show by 5 or just after. Bught Park would never happen as stated above, just look what happened to Inverness City when they spent a great deal of money fencing a pitch and plumbing in changing rooms next to the Shinty ground, only to be evicted a few years later. And that's hardly any closer to the centre than the current stadium anyway. If retail keeps losing out to internet sales it's possible the land around where the original and un-rebranded Caley stadium used to be by Telford Street and the Canal might become available, but that's a bit of a hike too. If there's money available, reworking what they have now makes more sense than moving imo. Maybe a dedicated pedestrian route from the centre could make the walk more pleasant.

The stands at County are pretty similar to what we threw up all those years ago (barnhouse style temporary stands) but the big difference is how close they are to the pitch and the fact they don't have some walkway at the front of them pushing the fans back a bit from the pitch. I would be stunned if we have moved stadium in the next 20 years. We'll probably all be using some kind of Futurama style transport tunnels to get to games anyway so location won't matter...

Edited by RiG

Doesnt matted where it is the folks of Inverness have no interest and will always make excuses why its not better supported

• In town - no parking
  • Current location - too far from town/cold etc
  • Any location around the city - it'll be a long walk for someone and inaccessible for away fans as there is no infrastructure
  • Not enough pubs on route
  • etc etc

Time everyone gets on the same page with its location being its home and the club do more to improve the experience as that's all that can be changed now, which IMO is probably no better (or might even be worse - rose tinted spec and all that) from when we were in Leagues 1 & 2.

6 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Doesnt matted where it is the folks of Inverness have no interest and will always make excuses why its not better supported

• In town - no parking
  • Current location - too far from town/cold etc
  • Any location around the city - it'll be a long walk for someone and inaccessible for away fans as there is no infrastructure
  • Not enough pubs on route
  • etc etc

Time everyone gets on the same page with its location being its home and the club do more to improve the experience as that's all that can be changed now, which IMO is probably no better (or might even be worse - rose tinted spec and all that) from when we were in Leagues 1 & 2.

You've forgotten

• Rangers and Celtic exist.

The stadium's location is great for access.  People have to accept it isn't moving, what we should do it get more built around the stadium for fans.  The old courier building which is about 200 metres from the stadium, lies there decrepit.  I say to @RiG every time we walk past it how good a pub & restaurant would be there.  Unfortunately it would probably only be busy on match days due to it's location, so it's probably a non-starter.  

Did the club not look at moving to Beachwood a few years ago?  It's not a particularly central location at the minute but that might change as Inverness expands.  I don't have a problem with the location of the stadium really but I do think it's a shame it's not somewhere part of the community more.  

Does anyone else remember it being said that the lifespan of the North and South Stands was about 10 years when they were built?  I know they wanted them up quick at the time, but if fan enjoyment had actually entered the minds of the club hierarchy at the time it could've made things a lot better going forward.  Why did they just plonk the stands on top of the terracing and not knock that wall down and bring the stands in a bit more.  I might be being naive into how feasible that would've been but it would've made all the difference going forward and surely wouldn't have been that difficult at the time. 

Edited by Highland Capital

7 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Did the club not look at moving to Beachwood a few years ago?  It's not a particularly central location at the minute but that might change as Inverness expands.  I don't have a problem with the location of the stadium really but I do think it's a shame it's not somewhere part of the community more.  

Does anyone else remember it being said that the lifespan of the North and South Stands was about 10 years when they were built?  I know they wanted them up quick at the time, but if fan enjoyment had actually entered the minds of the club hierarchy at the time it could've made things a lot better going forward.  Why did they just plonk the stands on top of the terracing and not knock that wall down and bring the stands in a bit more.  I might be being naive into how feasible that would've been but it would've made all the difference going forward and surely wouldn't have been that difficult at the time. 

I assume the issue was timing, we had to build those stands quickly.

Also, where is the Courier office now?

39 minutes ago, Snafu said:

City weren't evicted, there was a five year agreement with the council to give the club time to find a permanent home elsewhere. The pitch that the club spent thousands on to bring up to Superleague standard was always going to be returned, everyone knew that. Part of the agreement was that the public had to have full access through the fenced off area including the pitch (which sometimes meant there was dogshit was left behind), so the gates were left open at all the times which would leave the portacabins vulnerable to break ins and vandalism . Before the Highland Games all the fencing and advertising boards were removed leaving just the portacabins and then put back after.

Bringing a football ground back to Telford Street would add to a huge traffic problem in that part of the city and I would think the locals wouldn't be too happy. If that land ever came up for sale probably more likely that house developers would get their hands on it and build flats. There is much demand in the city for land to build on, as I said a football club relocation would come well down the list of priorities, plus the value of the land would be out of their price range when there would be cheaper options elsewhere.

City spent £70,000 on building Lister Park, no way would they have done that if they weren't expecting the lease to be extended. It included laying pipes under the shinty ground to supply the changing rooms. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

The stadium's location is great for access.  People have to accept it isn't moving, what we should do it get more built around the stadium for fans.  The old courier building which is about 200 metres from the stadium, lies there decrepit.  I say to @RiG every time we walk past it how good a pub & restaurant would be there.  Unfortunately it would probably only be busy on match days due to it's location, so it's probably a non-starter.  

You're right but there's a mystery as to what's happening with that building, the press reported that it had been acquired by HIAL for use as a centralised office for their operations but so far it remains empty and an eyesore.

Again some of the land is leased from Highland Council.

That whole area would have made a great waterfront tourist and local experience with bars/restaurants. and hotels, instead we have.........................................................................

Edited by SandyCromarty